Interest Check - something different from the usual

All Out Of Character Conversation!

Moderator: Moderators

HeroOfHype
Traveler

Interest Check - something different from the usual

#1 Post by HeroOfHype »

alright so I've looked at some of the other RPs available and I'v noticed that they are all extremely detailed and such.

So as an idea I thought "Hey, why not make an RP designed around a more light stylization focused more on casual RP and improv. And well... stuff"
Then I thought, "You have no idea how to sell something do you?" To which I replied, "we are selling something?"

"the RP"
"But that's free"
"it's figurative"
"no It's an RP"
"...nevermind"

so anyway, this RP would start off simply, with an open world, allows for practically any type of OC, and well... stuff. Any takers?

(I was already told this wasn't that popular but I'm a stubborn fool who would rather get rejected outright then never try...)

(plus I am secretly afraid that if I tried to join a regular RP here I'd end up not doing well and just embarrass myself so this is a last ditch effort to avoid that fate. but don't tell anyone)

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Interest Check - something different from the usual

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

Oog, yeah, an open-world Rp might not be the best sort of thing to do, especially if you're new. The reasons for this are numerous, but mainly, these don't work because there's too little information, and too much action-space for anything meaningful to happen. In an open world, characters can be really separated from each other, leading to a set of independent stories rather than a cohesive narrative involving multiple characters.

The other thing is that when the characters are together, an open world means that there are few rules about what players can and cannot do, and as a result, they often do nothing in an attempt to avoid stepping on toes, or playing "out-of-bounds."

That said, if you had a plot idea or synopsis you were considering, something to drive players in one direction, that would do loads for your RP. By providing a consistent goal, the players don't have to create their own objectives, and are more likely to interact as a result of being together. Setting allows players to interact with their environment, again, not having to make it up themselves...

Keep in mind that you can still create a game which allows a broad range of characters and concepts, it's just a matter of presenting those.

And I wouldn't worry about presentation too much, honestly. If you build it, they will come. :D

EDIT: This is not to discourage you, by the way! You seem genuinely interested in doing this, so the point I'm trying to make with all this is "present more information." And if worst comes to worst, I'm sure you'll do perfectly fine as a player in a game. We're pretty accepting in here. (And I could tell you about our bad players, trust me, you don't seem like one of them.)

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

HeroOfHype
Traveler

#3 Post by HeroOfHype »

huh...

I'll take that into consideration then, figure out a bit more to an overall story, and come back to you all on that...

Of course I'm always open to suggestions from anyone and everyone!

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#4 Post by y7h65 »

HeroOfHype wrote:
so anyway, this RP would start off simply, with an open world, allows for practically any type of OC, and well... stuff. Any takers?

(I was already told this wasn't that popular but I'm a stubborn fool who would rather get rejected outright then never try...)

(plus I am secretly afraid that if I tried to join a regular RP here I'd end up not doing well and just embarrass myself so this is a last ditch effort to avoid that fate. but don't tell anyone)
Well, like what Myperson said before, unstructured open world RPs tend not too far apart because they are, ironically enough, the hardest to run on the GM. A plot and an established setting, while apparently requiring more work in the beginning, pays off as the GM can use it to help guide the players along or keep them together. So while an open world would be easier to start, it's harder to keep going due to simply lack of directive or goal.

As for making a fool of yourself, don't worry. Nobody on this board started RPing well. We all had to start somewhere and most of us did that by joining one of the threads that were currently ongoing. Most of us are a helpful bunch who will help show you the ropes and how to improve yourself if you ask. Currently, we have Geo&Bio's Eternal Symphony as well as my own Southbound running. My RP is a much more slower paced one that usually goes weeks between posts so it's a bit easier to edge into if you're looking to develop yourself as an RPer.

I should also mention that the RP board, as it currently is, is probably the smallest or second smallest board in terms of constant visitors. Everyone here pretty much knows everyone else. It's always in your favour to join a running RP and get a grasp on the personalities of the regulars on this board. You can also build yourself a reputation as well doing this so that when the time comes for you to try your hand at GMing, it'll be easier to grab people to join.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#5 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Someone tried something mildly similar to your idea a while back. It had an extremely simple prompt and let the RPers run with it in whatever direction. (Started with a girl sitting on a bench, immediately flowed into a mystery with a guy being chased by thugs, etc) So long as you can provide a basic world to play inside and everyone's perfectly aware of what the intentions of the RP are, it can flow well enough, but it's far safer to start with something more structured if you're a new GM.

As the others said, don't worry yourself about not being good enough. I was terrible, terrible, terrible when I started. Just takes a bit of willingness to improve and all's well.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#6 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I do have a suggestion. It's more like a template for the whole story than a small idea, though, so stay with me.

The story is set in an alternate history where Charles Darwin discovered DNA as we'll as evolution. Many of you may know this as Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, and yes, it is that world. The one where the "Darwinists", consisting of Britain, Russia, most of northern Europe and the north of North America, use fabricated beasts as everyday useful objects, whereas the "Clankers", being everyone else except Japan, the Ottoman Empire, and China, who are in a balance, use fantastic metal contraptions like walkers, aeroplanes and other elektrikal machines. They are, naturally, at war with eachother, and are an even match until the group of players comes along and picks a side. It would make for great story if the group split up; two stories, side by side, that meet and clash every once and a while, if only to reunite once again after quitting their respective militaries or something or other.

Then the story goes on from there, with each player's choices changing the story as it does. Also, you should begin sign-ups here in this thread. Seriously. It will, I repeat will, make the whole thing much cleaner and worry-free. But hey, it's just a suggestion.

A Game Suggestion! Thanks for reading!
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Raphael
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Raphael »

y7h65 wrote:I should also mention that the RP board, as it currently is, is probably the smallest or second smallest board in terms of constant visitors. Everyone here pretty much knows everyone else. It's always in your favour to join a running RP and get a grasp on the personalities of the regulars on this board. You can also build yourself a reputation as well doing this.
At least you have members that post within weeks of each other. My team takes forever T-T

But yeah, like they said. Get a plot idea going, then make a new thread. I would suggest a flow chart or something to have possible outcomes ready when it's time for people to move about freely in the IC.

Also, make sure you have an antagonist. Every good RP works when you have someone that people can all hate together.

HeroOfHype
Traveler

#8 Post by HeroOfHype »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:I do have a suggestion. It's more like a template for the whole story than a small idea, though, so stay with me.

The story is set in an alternate history where Charles Darwin discovered DNA as we'll as evolution. Many of you may know this as Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, and yes, it is that world. The one where the "Darwinists", consisting of Britain, Russia, most of northern Europe and the north of North America, use fabricated beasts as everyday useful objects, whereas the "Clankers", being everyone else except Japan, the Ottoman Empire, and China, who are in a balance, use fantastic metal contraptions like walkers, aeroplanes and other elektrikal machines. They are, naturally, at war with eachother, and are an even match until the group of players comes along and picks a side. It would make for great story if the group split up; two stories, side by side, that meet and clash every once and a while, if only to reunite once again after quitting their respective militaries or something or other.

Then the story goes on from there, with each player's choices changing the story as it does. Also, you should begin sign-ups here in this thread. Seriously. It will, I repeat will, make the whole thing much cleaner and worry-free. But hey, it's just a suggestion.

A Game Suggestion! Thanks for reading!
Wow... that is a pretty good idea... I wish that I knew more about the source material because that actually seems pretty interesting...

at the very least, I can use some o the concepts in starting an RP here... though I might just take some of the other advice and start with joining an RP first. (maybe not though, I dunno... whatever seems to come first I suppose)

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#9 Post by Twippit »

I'd listen to the majority here, pal. Sign up for a game first. After a few months and a handful of games, folks here will know you, and more readily sign up for a game -provided you've proven yourself capable.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.