Twokinds Forums

A place to sit around and talk about the comic.
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am 
New Citizen

coolbreeze88 wrote:
SirJahar wrote:
So, testing the waters for interest in a setting, an Industrializing Mehkan.

The idea is that the industrial revolution has come to this magical world, and new ideas and tools with it.
the Human empire has be stride in three, the tribes have become vastles and puppets of their more advanced neighbors. Even the Basitins are not immune, as one side clings to the old ways, the other runs head-long into this new age.

Obviously world building alone for such a game would be a chore, but I think it's worth it if anyone wants to join in.
If anyone is interested, I can bring over a good chunk of ideas hashed out with a friend.

Say no more, your idea is absolute genius. it is something just has to happen in Mehkans future.

but for it to work it has to take place 1400 years into the future sense the time were two kinds takes place is still in classical antiquity (400's CE) but the industrial revolution could come earlier.

possible changes that could come about from such an event would probably include the decline of the dragons as worshipped symbols of power as they are rendered redundant by mass produced muzzle loading firearms and cannons.

thus, it would come as no surprise that a civil war would erupt in the human empire between the magic using Templars and the imperial army that make use of said advances in weaponry to level the playing field and possibly the rise of a new republican movement that's caught in the crossfire.

powerful trains would criss cross the mainland and paddle steamers would have the seas. making trips that took days for the original gang only a few hours in this scenario.

keidrans would also take advantage of these changes, some even go so far as to literally sell their own into slavery to get their hands on guns and machinery.

bastions would actually be the epicenter of this industrial revolution as they have the biggest incentive to find an alternative to magic and its corruptive force.

that's basically the foundation I came up with, just happy to add my 2 cents.

Okay, that basically... solves some plot holes.

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am 
Grand Templar

coolbreeze88 wrote:
bastions would actually be the epicenter of this industrial revolution as they have the biggest incentive to find an alternative to magic and its corruptive force.
I both agree and disagree with this concept.

While the Bastions would heavily benefit from this sort of tech boom, I'm not sure it'd be collectively recognised as the right way about things.

In the comic we saw how desperate they were to harness magic for themselves, but to replace it with something like firearms and heavy accordance seems very against what the Bastion code of honour would promote.

My logic is that that early firearms were peasant weapons, fired in mass to destroy better equipped and better trained foes. So Bastions would see them as cowards/unskilled weapons of the weaker races.

I liked what Sarn had in mind with spilting the tech between the East and West, but I feel it'd be much bloodier and more complicated than that. I feel it's evolve into a three way war between the advanced North Eastern and North Western (North being closer to humans, therefore more influenced) Bastion empires, and a unified Southern joint kingdom of the old ways.

The two tech savy groups would be putting their best men and equipment on the borders to each other, but at the same time being force to divert man power to the south lands to defend against a much larger and more disciplined force who are also 'weaker'.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:38 pm 
Master

The problem here is that the Basitins clinging to the old ways are fighting a losing battle.

It's very much like the anglo-zulu wars. Spears and shields can only do so much against rifles

Eternally Tired.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

Butterscotch wrote:
The problem here is that the Basitins clinging to the old ways are fighting a losing battle.

It's very much like the anglo-zulu wars. Spears and shields can only do so much against rifles

just a heads up. make sure to quote the person you're replying too so they get notified.

other than that it would be less like the anglo-zulu war and more in line with the boshin war of 19th century japan with old traditional ways of combat being curb stomped by the rapid advances in firearms and the rise of professional standing armies.