Moderator: Moderators

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

Re: Last Man Posting

#15076 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:36 am
Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 pm -snip-
I've only been on the forum 2.5 months, from when I rediscovered 2K, but I first found the comic back in October 2004, and followed it until around February 2010.
Wow comic started in late 2003 so that means you have been with the comic almost from the start longer than our resident veteran Gen. Bellhead. Curiously enough seem there are not that many old fans around, the forum interaction dropped precipitously after the basitin island arc. Overall the comic popularity maintained but because it got new fans.
Internet fandoms do seem to have a rapid turnover of people. I'm guessing the newbies prefer to interact on the popular social media platforms?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:36 am Personally i think 15 year old me would have loved the comic and the old timey forum but i am not sure it would have been appropriate for him. I joined my first English speaking forum, I am mexican english not my first language, when i was 18 so i may have been unable to interact here. Probably would have ended a furry too.
There's Spanish anthro webcomics out there, so if you'd known where to look, 15-year-old you could've got into this stuff earlier. I take it you don't consider yourself a furry then?
Kellard wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am That being said, I don't think introducing teenagers to furries is a good idea in general lmao.
Are they really that bad? :o

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15077 Post by Bellhead »

I think showing teenagers the wonders of the furry fandom is a marvelous idea. It is, after all, one of the friendliest and most accepting fandoms around, and can show young people the world of acceptance and tolerance like no other medium, or group.

Also, cute fluffy huggable creatures. And an overwhelming sense of individuality. What's not to love? :wink:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15078 Post by Kellard »

Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am
Kellard wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am That being said, I don't think introducing teenagers to furries is a good idea in general lmao.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 pm I think showing teenagers the wonders of the furry fandom is a marvelous idea. It is, after all, one of the friendliest and most accepting fandoms around, and can show young people the world of acceptance and tolerance like no other medium, or group.

Also, cute fluffy huggable creatures. And an overwhelming sense of individuality. What's not to love? :wink:
While I'm not sure that is sarcasm...
A lot of unmentionable things that young children should not be exposed to due to the risk of affecting their normal social and mental development. Plus other risks that might be obvious to anyone who's spent enough time around furries. The fandom isn't as friendly or safe as people say, methinks.

Guess I'm one to talk about that having been around furries since 14/15, but it was my own choice. It's also none of my business what others do I guess, but if you ask me whether I prefer the way I ended up vs the way most other furries are... Of course I like my life better and think I'm a healthier person in most regards.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15079 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Kellard wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am
Don't think so. I mean I guess I'm a furry now, but the comic itself didn't have much of an influence on me as a person. More so the people who I've met after getting into the comic.
I consider myself a decent and functional person if nothing else.
That being said, I don't think introducing teenagers to furries is a good idea in general lmao.
Sorry I did not wanted to imply you are somehow a bad person and i apologize. I do not know you much but you do sound like a great guy!
Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am Internet fandoms do seem to have a rapid turnover of people. I'm guessing the newbies prefer to interact on the popular social media platforms?
Yes that is true. As we have discussed before the decline on the forum seems unrelated to the comic popularity. More likely it was cause to the raise of modern social media, people either left to twitter, reddit and facebook and new fans never used this place. To be fair, phpBB would be anchornistic for most of the younger folks and plain unusuable for the rest
Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am There's Spanish anthro webcomics out there, so if you'd known where to look, 15-year-old you could've got into this stuff earlier. I take it you don't consider yourself a furry then?
Really? I did not know there were spanish ones, but there is also the unofficial spaniard translation of 2k so it makes sense. I have always considered furries to be a english speaking thing. There is a Mexican furry community down here but it is small compared to other places. And no despite liking some furry content and ocassionally hangin (onine) with some furries I do not consider me part of the fandom.

My issue with 2k is that is deals with some suggestive themes, that is do not think 15 year old me should have been exposed too. No that he did not saw worse stuff but still... In any case back then I did not really have broadband internet so this may bee a moot point.
Kellard wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:30 pm
Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 pm I think showing teenagers the wonders of the furry fandom is a marvelous idea. It is, after all, one of the friendliest and most accepting fandoms around, and can show young people the world of acceptance and tolerance like no other medium, or group.

While I'm not sure that is sarcasm...
A lot of unmentionable things that young children should not be exposed to due to the risk of affecting their normal social and mental development. Plus other risks that might be obvious to anyone who's spent enough time around furries. The fandom isn't as friendly or safe as people say, methinks.

Guess I'm one to talk about that having been around furries since 14/15, but it was my own choice. It's also none of my business what others do I guess, but if you ask me whether I prefer the way I ended up vs the way most other furries are... Of course I like my life better and think I'm a healthier person in most regards.
As with any sufficiently large human group there are some very problematic members of the fandom one way or another. But i do not think this is an issue exclusive to them. In general I think it is a bad idea to let you non-adult children unsupervised on social media for obvious reasons.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 pm Also, cute fluffy huggable creatures. And an overwhelming sense of individuality. What's not to love? :wink:
Overwhelming sense of individuality? how so?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15080 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:07 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:53 pm Also, cute fluffy huggable creatures. And an overwhelming sense of individuality. What's not to love? :wink:
Overwhelming sense of individuality? how so?
I found the whole fandom scene when I was in my early and mid teens. Earlier than I should have, sure, but still. And at the time, the IRL social climate was kind of at war with itself. 'Accept yourself for who you are' and 'Don't judge others' sexuality' and the like were gaining some serious traction where I was, and (as I remember it) there was a pretty decent number of people who disagreed with that sentiment. No graffiti, mind you, but the way everyone kept reinforcing that mentality made me think it was this big problem.

During that whole scene, I found Twokinds, and later, the fandom. Or, pieces of it, I should say. But wherever I went, there were people who could be open about themselves, their orientation, personal experiences, preferences, you name it. And there were always entire communities behind them who would stand up for them if anyone said something disrespectful or rude, but always did so without screaming or raging. At the time, I saw a fursona as being a way to be who -and what- you wanted to be, and experience life like that without fear of being alienated, bullied or hazed for it.

Since there is no official, set-in-stone definition of what is and is not considered "furry", the only real definition is "if you say you are, then you are". That kind of ambiguity lets people experiment and branch out, becoming more unique and individual because of it without being kicked out for not being "one of the group". Because of that, you almost never find two people in this fandom who have evolved and settled into the same exact character; each person's individuality has led them to create their own unique fursona.

Sorry for the text wall.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15081 Post by Tornir »

Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am There's Spanish anthro webcomics out there, so if you'd known where to look, 15-year-old you could've got into this stuff earlier. I take it you don't consider yourself a furry then?
Really? I did not know there were spanish ones, but there is also the unofficial spaniard translation of 2k so it makes sense. I have always considered furries to be a english speaking thing. There is a Mexican furry community down here but it is small compared to other places. And no despite liking some furry content and ocassionally hangin (onine) with some furries I do not consider me part of the fandom.
Here's one: Alpha Luna, by a Chilean artist (also xlated into English)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15082 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:56 pm -snip-

I found the whole fandom scene when I was in my early and mid teens. Earlier than I should have, sure, but still. And at the time, the IRL social climate was kind of at war with itself. 'Accept yourself for who you are' and 'Don't judge others' sexuality' and the like were gaining some serious traction where I was, and (as I remember it) there was a pretty decent number of people who disagreed with that sentiment. No graffiti, mind you, but the way everyone kept reinforcing that mentality made me think it was this big problem.

During that whole scene, I found Twokinds, and later, the fandom. Or, pieces of it, I should say. But wherever I went, there were people who could be open about themselves, their orientation, personal experiences, preferences, you name it. And there were always entire communities behind them who would stand up for them if anyone said something disrespectful or rude, but always did so without screaming or raging. At the time, I saw a fursona as being a way to be who -and what- you wanted to be, and experience life like that without fear of being alienated, bullied or hazed for it.

Since there is no official, set-in-stone definition of what is and is not considered "furry", the only real definition is "if you say you are, then you are". That kind of ambiguity lets people experiment and branch out, becoming more unique and individual because of it without being kicked out for not being "one of the group". Because of that, you almost never find two people in this fandom who have evolved and settled into the same exact character; each person's individuality has led them to create their own unique fursona.

Sorry for the text wall.
First do not apologize for writing a lot, this is a text based medium, not tiktok it is ok to write things out!

I have taken a hobby, because covid, to check the local furries every now and thenyou know i like to make graphs and such, besides i have been adjacent to them for a long time, and yeah it seemes a core tenet of them is their openess to anyone, something they are produ of. A lot of people found that community to be the only place where they could be themselves without beign judged. If you do not mind me asking: Do you consider one?

Also really sorry but sometimes my English is simply not what it should be: What do you mean by "No Graffiti"?
Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:39 pm
Here's one: Alpha Luna, by a Chilean artist (also xlated into English)

Tenia que ser un chileno.
I can't get the idea that i saw that style before, despite being pretty sure this is the first time i see it. May take a look later.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15083 Post by Bellhead »

I wrote "sorry for the test wall" instead of "thanks for reading", or "the end". Or, "and that's that". Not really apologetic, but I needed something to end with.

I used to consider myself a pretty avid furry, though in retrospect, I never really was. I was pretty active on here for quite a while, and I scrolled through a FA for a time, but that was pretty much it. Never went to cons, never joined any community other than this one. But I still love the art, and the community behind it.

Graffiti: A form of vandalism that centers around painting surfaces that should not have been painted. Usually with spray paint, writing messages, insults, slurs, that sort of thing. If you've ever heard the term, "tagging", IRL, that's usually what it's referring to. Outside of social media of course. Graffiti is a typical staple of low-income or abandoned inner city areas, and carries the stereotype of delinquents and/or gangs. Not to be confused with street art, though.

What I meant by that statement was that I didn't live in a place where people would spray paint racist or sexist slurs on people's lockers for their orientation or preferences. Not that bullying didn't happen in other ways, but I never saw it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15084 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I see as I mentioned i have taken the hobby of following the locals on twitter. Although not part of the comunity, I find them interesting and nice so I like to hang next to them.

Oh now i get it!
I do know what Graffiti is, but since you only said "No Graffiti, mind you" I could not make sense of the phrase with the rest of the sentence .and it threw me off.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15085 Post by Bellhead »

Indeed. Words can be confusing. The phrase, "mind you," is used in the same way "keep in mind", but on the other side of the affected phrase. "No graffiti, mind you" could also be rephrased as "Keep in mind, no graffiti".

But on the other hand,
you have other fingers.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15086 Post by Technic[Bot] »

On one side i like to think have a better grasp of the English language than i show. But in the other you would be surprised how little vocabulary you actually need to communicate...

yes 5 on each hand but i fail to see the relevance here :P
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15087 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 am yes 5 on each hand but i fail to see the relevance here :P
"On the other hand" is an expression relating to describing a different point of view.

"For one thing, you get paid. But on the other hand, you hate your job."

Just dumb humor.

Kellard
Templar Master

#15088 Post by Kellard »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 am On one side i like to think have a better grasp of the English language than i show. But in the other you would be surprised how little vocabulary you actually need to communicate...
You seem to have a pretty good grasp on it. If anything I think people like you who've learned the language well enough to the point of being able to communicate effectively and with proper grammar and spelling, actually know more than most native speakers. Simply because you've had to study the language far more than somebody who was born in a place that speaks it.

That's coming from someone whose mother tongue is not English lol.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15089 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah. If you have enough of a grasp to hold a conversation, that's quite a bit of vocabulary. I mean, you still make little errors here and there, but overall, you communicate just fine.

And as someone who took two years of French in high school, holding a conversation takes more vocabulary than you think.

Kellard
Templar Master

#15090 Post by Kellard »

Truth. I understand french decently enough but lack the vocabulary to really hold a conversation.
It's mostly me not remembering the words at the time of speaking rather than not knowing them.