For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14686 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:28 am
Bellhead wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:47 pm Same. Even the official Twokinds IRC chat is pretty dead... and nobody there even talks about the comic beyond "Oh hey, there's a new page?"

Still get the noobs, though. Come in, say hi, leave 40 seconds later. I remember when #2K became a thing, though... it was supposed to be solely about the comic, storyline, characters, etc... Then the great master Bumpersam moved that to discord too. I'm still in it, but I'm one of only two, and nobody ever comes in.

But yeah. I'll be here as long as Tom keeps posting, and the server holds out. The great Turaiel would be the only one who could stop my attendance now. muahaha. :|
I really never got into IRC even back it is heyday.

Also excuse my ignorance but. What is a #2K?
Context: In IRC, each user has a username, typically preceded by an "@" unless a client removes it for aesthetic purposes. Each user would, after creating a username, join a channel, which is listed as "#[channel name]". "/" initiates commands. For instance, "/join #twokinds", or "/nick Bell".

Basic commands like that are the foundation for how to do stuff, but basically that's it. #twokinds is the official IRC chatroom, but not much has happened in there since... well, at least the last 10 years. And even then, they almost never discussed the comic. When I was but a young noob of these hallowed halls, Bumpersam decided to create the Twokinds Storyline Chatroom, #2K, for discussions of characters, plotlines, theories, etc. The original forum thread can still be found, if you dig back far enough. I have that channel open in my IRC client 24/7, so if anyone says anything, I'll see it when I check.

The "CHAT" link on the main page will work for that, but the channel would need be changed. Else, just go here: irc.nightstar.net, set a username, and set a channel.

IRC as a whole, from what I understand, became ~and to an extent, remains~ popular because it's an extremely low resource communication platform. Literally less lag than a phone call, and it uses such a ridiculously low amount of data that it works on even the slowest internet. It's literally text only, and with a character limit per message, so it was quite popular among the groups that used it way back when.

TL;DR: IRC rant.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14687 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I see. I have always had certain apprehension towards real time chat, hence i never really got into IRC. Not sure why. I use whatsapp and such on a regular basis.

Unlike forum boards IRC never really went away, it is not as popular as before that much is true but it is still more used than phpBB these days. Not entirely sure why, all modern social platforms are quasi real time and/or have dedicated real time chat spaces. And then there is the stuff kids these days use like Discord and what not which offer a lot more features.

Also I am pretty sure that link is incorrect
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14688 Post by Bellhead »

Huh... It didn't used to be...

Well, This still works, just change the channel name if you want.

Also, Welcome to IRC, Technic!
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14689 Post by Technic[Bot] »

The domain puts the IRC inside the forum, I do not think that is right.

In any case gonna lurk around in case i find more interesting stuff on old timer chat. Thanks!

Speaking of IRC seems even old people like us do like their dose of drama Seems one of the largest networks got taken over.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14690 Post by Kellard »

Never really gave use to the IRC myself. I did join once several years ago but never went back into it. At least back then it still had some activity though.

Many of the people I talk to online today used to frequent this forum. I think I'm one of the only two of them who still come around. The rest stick to Telegram, Twitter, and Discord.
Right before everyone made the jump to messaging apps, this place was perhaps as busy as I ever got to see it. That was back in 2016.

I've occassionally dug through old threads, and gotten glimpses into a time when this forum was truly active. Can't ever go back to that I guess.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14691 Post by Neutral Smith »

Dual screen setup. 4K screen for the browser and things I do, second screen is an old one in portrait for the chats.

When I'm going to replace this computer I also have to replace the second screen, it only has VGA and DVI inputs (and component)
I think I'm going to do a full screen swap, main screen of main computer goes to the second computer, and buy two new screens for my new main computer. My goal was to replace it this year, but I think I'll keep it running for another.
(second screen goes in storage, replacing another screen that's there)

Swapping the computers is not going to be a big improvement, only difference is that the primary computer has 2x 780ti as graphics power (and support for their generation, Kepler, ends soon) and a Samsung 950pro M.2 SSD. 4790K power :mrgrin:
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14692 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have mentioned before I find these types of forums superior, if a bit clunky for modern standards, compared to other platforms. However I am clearly on the minority here as everyone is on Twitter, Facebook and kids these days spend their days on Discord, tiktok and twitch.
Given improvements in UI and UX over the past decade new potential forum users will prefer modern platforms and older users may or may not migrate to others. In other words, forum boards simple fell out of fashion, that is how things work and it is not necessarily a bad thing either...

I also been wanting to upgrade my PC, upgrading my 5 year old laptop into a built desktop PC. But getting parts is very hard right now! Well expensive to be precise. And due to the silicon shortage it is not like it will be any cheaper anytime soon.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#14693 Post by Kellard »

Myea

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14694 Post by Bellhead »

Dis why I don't often get new hardware, and instead use my indestructible fleet of dinosaurs. Very cheap.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14695 Post by Technic[Bot] »

There is nothing really wrong with my laptop. It was a gaming laptop back in the day but these days it chugs on modern games.
But for everything else is completely fine. Just added some RAM 🐏 to it and everything feels faster.

That being said I dread the idea my laptop may die and I won't have anything to replace it with...

Also I really want to build my own PC.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#14696 Post by Kellard »

Hehe ram

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14697 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Sometimes even I am surprised by all the emoticons there are:
🐏 🦄
Not entirely sure why the Unicode consortium bother to define them
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14698 Post by Bellhead »

Welp. I relearned a valuable lesson today.

Don't. Punch. The subframe. Pinch welds.

My wrench slipped while I had all my weight and strength on it. Smashed my ring finger pretty badly. And that was 3 hours in, on an 11.5 hour day. And I get to do it all again tomorrow. Oh joyous day.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14699 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Do not punch the subframe nor the pinch (spot) welds or Do not punch the subframe pinch (spot) weld it instead?

Also hope it was just a nasty bruise and nothing got broken. It is probably not necessary for me to say it but hands are very important.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14700 Post by Bellhead »

Yeeeaaaahhhh.... I punched the pinch weld with full force on my ring finger.
Spoiler! Slightly grody
The edge punched right through my skin, but didn't slice. A couple pieces of rust and paint ended up embedded, and I had to dig them out. And though it was a nasty wound, I hit it so hard that it didn't even bleed. I definitely should have gotten stitches, but I had work to do.
I did get to use the Mechanic Bandage technique, though. Clean, first-aid cream, heavy duty band-aid, electrical tape, tight-fitting glove. That'll hold anything short of a broken bone.