Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14146 Post by Bellhead »

I wasn't being a jerk for talking about it, I was being a jerk for complaining about it. It was rather insensitive of me to complain about something that most people need but can't get.

O.A.N., my "duties" also now include "Walkie-Talkie Guru", because I'm the only one in the entire building who knows how to operate one beyond 'push, talk, release'. And our manager managed to get THE. CHEAPEST. POSSIBLE. OPTION. Not kidding. $45 for four. They don't even have a volume control, and the signal reaches less than the length of the building.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14147 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have never actually got to use one of thoe two-way radios. I thought you simply selected the channel, if applicable, and push to talk, released to listen.

On Another Note (?) The cheapest radios I can feasibly get are a six pack for 130 usd give or take, or around 20 for each one. You sure he did not buy toy walkie talkies on purpose by accident?
Incidentally I think he we will be happy to report the massive deal he got on Radios and the huge amount of money he saved for the company.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14148 Post by Bellhead »

Oh I BET it was an "accident". And he may well have gotten ones that were a single step above toys.

On the subject of these types of radios, nowadays there are channels, then there are.. Well, I call them sub-channels. Generally 5 per channel, and if you're using one, you can't hear anyone who's not using one. For instance, we use channel 1, no sub-channel. But when we first got them, it was channel 1, sub-channel 1, so my older radios without that function could listen, but they couldn't hear me. On the other hand, if I was on sub-channel 2, then I wouldn't even hear them. There's also the VOX function, where the radio transmits anywhere above a certain volume of input, call tone selection, monitor mode.. Mostly basic stuff, but nobody knows how to do it besides me.

It's like programming a VCR. Once you do it, it's easy and fairly intuitive, but when you don't know how, it's rocket science.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14149 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I always had certain fascination with conventional radio. But at the same time found them to be quite inaccessible. Both in terms of complexity: operation and design and in terms of price. So I have always kept a respectful distance from them.

Most people have an innate aversion to manuals, not entirely sure why. I bet your radios have fairly straightforward instructions but if no one reads them....

Finally I do not know the average age of our co-workers but i doubt anyone in my office remembers how to program a VCR. Last time we had to send a fax we had to ask our boss (50yo) for help.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14150 Post by Bellhead »

Your boss is almost 10 years younger than my father. And I still remember programming the VCR as a kid.

And if I didn't already have the sets I do, I probably wouldn't get new ones either, due to price. But when the situation arises, they're almost indispensable. That was our communication during my flat-tow adventure with my first car. It died, nearly seized the engine, something like 60 miles from home. Roughly 100 km, if memory serves. My father brought a minivan and a ratchet strap, and we towed it home, back roads the whole way, with an old set of Talkabouts as our only communication on when to start hitting the brakes, which way to turn and when, everything. That trip was well over an hour of driving, and they lasted the whole time with dead batteries.

Dangerous by today's standards, but the cost of the tow would have exceeded the value of the car.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14151 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I also knew how to program a VCR when I was older. They keyword here being "knew" last time i did that was over a decade ago if you gave me the same model I had before may be able to remember but i would not count on it.

Wait 100 km an hour on a dead engine on back roads? That is pretty fast and pretty scary

By the way my dad is also in his early sixties too. He once had this plan to move a crappy van across half the country. If for some reason the van died mid way he planned to torch abandon it at the side of the road. Of course he had someone else (me) following him in another car if that were to happen. Fortunately the van broke down completely before he could try that.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14152 Post by Bellhead »

No, going a distance of 60 mi (100 km) which took well over an hour. No power steering, no power brakes. We took our time, naturally.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14153 Post by Neutral Smith »

I don't see a problem with a car without power steering and assisted brakes.

I grew up rolling down the windows with a crank.

But Europe is quite different. Automatic transmissions used to be for disabled people, and air conditioning was a luxury.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14154 Post by Bellhead »

For a vehicle designed without those features, it's not a big deal. But for a vehicle designed with power steering, steering becomes exceedingly difficult without it, as you have to overcome the stationary fluid. Likewise, if a vehicle is built with a vacuum-assisted disk brake setup and vacuum is lost, your full strength on the pedal does less than a weak parking brake. Hard-as-a-rock pedal, that does almost nothing when you stomp on it.

Couple that with not being in control of how fast you're going, and you've got a recipe for disaster. That's why walkie talkies.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14155 Post by Technic[Bot] »

If I remember correctly a dead power steering specially the hydraulic type effectively hampers steering. I think electric power steering fares better in that case though.

Still even if taking all the time of the world that sounds quite dangerous. If I were in that position I may simply abandon the vehicle...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14156 Post by Bellhead »

Most people would, else have it towed. But we're stubborn, and I have a tow strap and walkie-talkies. My family has this nasty habit of refusing to be towed, unless a car gets completely totaled and can't be driven.

I've driven cars with no power steering, no alternator, no clutch pedal, no brakes, no forward gears, no driveshaft at one point.. Even without gas, granted that wasn't very far. And those are just the times I could still drive it.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14157 Post by Kellard »

So tired

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14158 Post by Neutral Smith »

So lazy.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14159 Post by Bellhead »

I used to go outside... before COVID attacked...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14160 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have never been a very social nor extrovert guy.
My social life has always been limited to a couple beers with old friends and colleagues.
And even then...
Man I miss going outside and I miss other people even more. I think what I miss the most is going to the office and Chatting away with my colleagues
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide