Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14071 Post by Bellhead »

There was a time, a long-but-not-so-long time ago, where this very thread went off-topic. The conversation was moved to its own thread, which acquired well over 15,000 posts in just over 2 years. It was.. Well, it should never happen again.

In other, unrelated news... I somehow ended up with this song on repeat. Next thing I knew, I was watching a candle, and the sun was gone. I had to look it up to figure out where I heard it from... Apparently it was in Tank Girl, 1995. Horrible movie by all accounts. Post-apocalyptic comedy, much adult themes and bad language. All of that classic '90s dumb.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14072 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh I see. I imagined something a bit more drastic.

There was this forum i used to visit often when i was younger. There on any given time we had:
  1. 2-3 dedicated spammers
  2. 1-2 flamewars
  3. 5 derailed topics: Started talking about metroid, ended talking about samurais vs cowboys
  4. at least one new banned user
Granted it was 10 times the size of here and the average age of the users was 15. Despite All that i remember it was good fun.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14073 Post by Hayate »

Most of the forum doesn’t see the things that go on. We hide the dirty laundry pretty well.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14074 Post by Neutral Smith »

This is only 1 of 3 forums I'm active. You should be honored.

But the others have over 17,000 and almost 9,000 of my contributions, this doesn't count :P
(and I have been there for over and almost 19 years)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14075 Post by Bellhead »

"Over and almost"?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14076 Post by Kellard »

That's just how long he's been there.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14077 Post by Bellhead »

That's like saying "Up to 10 years or more". It doesn't say anything.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14078 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Overseer Hayate just reminded me a quote from facebook anti-spam team: That is how good we are!

I used to be active on a couple forums back in the day. Most of them do not even exists anymore. Sadly phpBB has fallen out of favor of newer generations. Which is understandable, the interface is a bit clunky and modern alternatives are more accesible and populat. Most kids these days would find the high-text low-code post anachronistic. The only forum i used to frequent that it is stll alive, incidentally also the largest, is the Minecraft forum. But i think that it is not true phpbb and simply emulates the look and feel of one. Wonder if there are countries where this format is still popular?
In any case i rather small forums. It is like small towns where you can actually get to know the people you talk to.
Bellhead wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm That's like saying "Up to 10 years or more". It doesn't say anything.
There is a xkcd comic for that, left pane:
Spoiler!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14079 Post by Neutral Smith »

:oops: I lied.

Forum 1, a large tech forum: April 9, 2001. 17,257 posts on the forum and 275 reactions under news items.
Forum 2, a large general forum: June 17, 2003. 8705 on the forum and 1673 reactions under news items.
It felt like much longer.

Here it's already at 1710 reactions according to the search (since February 24 2014)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14080 Post by Technic[Bot] »

We always seem to understimate just how much time we spend somewhere. Specially if we are there often. I know i do.

Anyways I was playing around with the forums emoticons and well....
Copy-able plaintext Raine!
Spoiler!

Code: Select all

&&#############&&&################################################&&&#############&&
&&#===========#&&&&&&&&&&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&&&&&&&&&&#===========#&&
&&#++++###+===+####&&&&&###++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++###&&&&&####+===+###++++#&&
&&&###&&&&#=======#&&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&&#=======#&&&&###&&&
&&&####&&&#############++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#############&&&####&&&
&&&#######&&&&&&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&&&&&&#######&&&
&&&#######&&&&&###++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++###&&&&&#######&&&
&&&#######&&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&&#######&&&
&&&#######&&&&#+++++++++###++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++###+++++++++#&&&&#######&&&
&&&#######&&&&#++++++++#&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&#++++++++#&&&&#######&&&
###&&&&&&&####+++++########++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++########+++++####&&&&&&&###
==#&&&&&&&#+++++++#&&&&#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++#&&&&#+++++++#&&&&&&&#==
==#&&&&###+++++########++++#########++++++++++++#########++++########+++++###&&&&#==
==#&&&#+++++++#&&&#++++++++#@@@@@@@#++++++++++++#&&&@@@@#++++++++#&&&#+++++++#&&&#==
==#&&&#++++#######+++++#################++++#################+++++#######++++#&&&#==
==#&&&#+++#&&&#++++++++#@@@#=======#@@@#++++#@@@#=======#@@@#++++++++#&&&#+++#&&&#==
==#&&&#+++#&&&#++++++++#@@@&###+===+############+===+###&@@@#++++++++#&&&#+++#&&&#==
==#&&&#+++#&&&#++++++++#@@@@@@@#=======#@@@@#=======#@@@@@@@#++++++++#&&&#+++#&&&#==
==#&&&&###&&&&#+++#########&@@@#=======+####+=======#@@@&#########+++#&&&&###&&&&#==
==#&&&&&&&&&&&#+++#@@@@#===#@@@#====================#@@@#===#@@@@#+++#&&&&&&&&&&&#==
==#&&&&&&&&&&&#+++#@@@@#===#@@@#====================#@@@#===#@@@@#+++#&&&&&&&&&&&#==
==#&&&&###########&@@@@#===#@@@#====================#@@@#===#@@@@&###########&&&&#==
==#&&&#+++++++#&&&@@@@@#===#@@@#====================#@@@#===#@@@@@&&&#+++++++#&&&#==
==#&&&#++++############+===+###+====================+###+===+############++++#&&&#==
==#&&&#+++#&&&#======================================================#&&&#+++#&&&#==
==#&&&#+++#&&&#======================================================#&&&#+++#&&&#==
==+###############+================++++++++++++++================+###############+==
======#&&&#+++#&&&#================+############+================#&&&#+++#&&&#======
======#&&&#++++########+===========++++++++++++++===========+########++++#&&&#======
======#&&&#+++++++#&&&&#====================================#&&&&#+++++++#&&&#======
======+############++++####+=======+############+=======+####################+======
==========#&&&&&&&#====#&&&#=======#@@@@@@@@@@@@#=======#&&&#====#&&&&&&&#==========
==========+####&&&#====+#######+===+############+===+#######+====#&&&####+==========
==============#&&&#========#&&&#====================#&&&#========#&&&#==============
==============+###+========+############################+========+###+==============
===============================#&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&#===============================
===============================+####################+===============================
====================================================================================
====================================================================================

thought you may like it...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14081 Post by Kellard »

:raine:
That is one large emote

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14082 Post by Bellhead »

It's too big... Can't see the whole thing.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14083 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Sadly I had to use the code tag to keep all characters the same width. If I don't dots and hyphens get squashed and the image is lost.
Also code tag let's your scroll up down left and right but I wish there was an option to display the whole thing at once
Finally you can copy it to notepad to see it in its full glory.
The advantage of the emote is that is 💯 % compatible with all platforms anywhere you can simply copy and paste it anywhere you want.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14084 Post by Bellhead »

My computer did a dumb.

It rebooted, for seemingly no reason, while I was watching Youtube. So I got to hear "I don't know how do d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d--" (monitor turns off)

So, that happened.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14085 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Did it just rebooted by itself?
Normally windows at least has the decency of giving you a Blue screen of death before dying.
Your problem sounds more like a something made the hardware do a power cycle.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide