--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#14057 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I imagine those stories were a bit exaggerated ...
Anyhow Most people I meet that actually have used mechanical steering complain that is "too hard and stiff" and they feel they have to actually fight the steering wheel to get the car where they want to.

I did not know you only needed an electric power steering for all that fancy stuff but it makes sense, after allI if you can get into the power steering controller you technically have the control of the car. However there is still a mechanical connection between the rack and the wheel. If you really want to fully decouple the driver from the car you need to use servo controlled steering. I am not saying it is good to let the car ignore your input but I can imagine companies selling it as a security feature.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that most modern cars will refuse to start in the event of electronic failure. Also wouldn't it be dangerous to drive something without abs?

Some of my more well travelled colleagues say that the real test for a driver and a car is actually India. Once you drive there everything else seems like calm flat and empty roads. Or that is what they say....

Finally
technically we could declare a winner lock the thread an Start a new one. The issue is that no one will like that and overseer Hayate Will invariably be the winner....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14058 Post by Hayate »

If you started a new thread identical to a thread that got locked, I’d have no choice but to lock that thread too. And post a message on it explaining why. Thus also winning. So....
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14059 Post by Neutral Smith »

I don't know what the maximum amount of replies in a topic is until the forum software/servers starts to complain, but at a different forum (with different software) it's at about 10,000 posts.

In my opinion Turaiel is the only one who might have a reason to close this.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#14060 Post by Bellhead »

Winning a thread by locking it is like winning an argument by duct taping the other peoples' mouths shut. Necessary at times, but it still doesn't count.

Never heard that about India. ABS came out in the 90s iirc, and it was safe to drive before then. I grew up with the knowledge that "If your wheels lock up, let off the brake a little". That's pretty much all ABS does anyway, just one wheel at a time.

As for the steering issue, I will raise you the GM key cylinder scandal. Weak springs in the lock cylinder on the column would allow the key to turn itself off while driving, shutting off the engine, and by extension, the power steering pump. Not always possible with push-button ignition, but you get my point. If you lose that system while in motion, you're at the mercy of pure luck if you can't steer.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14061 Post by Hayate »

Haha, I won’t actually lock the post.
~Hayate~
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14062 Post by Bellhead »

Well, I mean... You'd lock it if you absolutely NEEDED to...

But we'd really have to earn it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14063 Post by Hayate »

This was not intended as a challenge...
~Hayate~
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14064 Post by Bellhead »

.. nor was it received as one. I tend to see things a bit more logically than I probably should. Da's mah bad, uhps.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14065 Post by Technic[Bot] »

After some digging turn out even the most futuristic, and expensive, car I imagine off the top of my head, a Tesla model X, still uses a "normal" electrical power steering, and a not so good one at that, no steer-by-wire. In any case my point is there are a lot of systems like throttle-by-wire and brake override systems where you do not have a direct connection to the engine valve or the brakes. In the later case if the car computer detects you are doing something weird with the brake pedal the compute might decide to override you and brake itself.
I do not know how widespread these systems but they are,for what i gather, smaller, cheaper and require less maintenance than fully mechanical or hydraulic counterparts. On that grounds alone automakers might decide to push for that in newer models to decrease costs. I am not saying they are better I am only saying I think most cars in the future will feature some level of electronic control.

According to this post this forum software, phpBB, has no hard limit on the number of answers per topic or thread. There are some limits on the database side of the equation, mysql most likely, but those are dictated by the disk space and/or the underlying OS. And since all the content here is simply text I seriously doubt we will get any sort of issue even if for some reason Twokind becomes very popular overnight. If that were the case the issue would not be storage, at the end of the day storage these days is kinda cheap, but compute power: do we have enough computers to serve the forum for all the users concurrently?

I sincerely doubt this thread could go so far down the toilet as to require containment. We are not many and you all seem like nice people to me. In fact it is kinda scary to think exactly what kind of stuff would need to happen for such a drastic measure to be required.

....Err sorry about my rant. I enjoy posting here a bit too much...
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14066 Post by Kellard »

It has been a while since the last time somebody went nuclear in this forum.
*sagely strokes beard*

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14067 Post by Hayate »

-.-
~Hayate~
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14068 Post by Neutral Smith »

Not me.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14069 Post by Bellhead »

Nothing these days comes without throttle by wire, but brakes I think are required to be mechanically connected somehow. And not cheaper, but easier to manufacture and program.

Yes, Hayate. We apologize for annoying you so. And though I wasn't in here for that [censored] storm, I won't cause another one. Scout's honor.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14070 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I mean there are also issues with Brake override and ABS in general. In particular the recent Boeing issues were caused because most modern airplanes are basically fly-by-wire unless overridden by the pilot.

Also can I get some context about what you are talking about? I am still relatively new on the forums so I only know its really recent history.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide