For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Last Man Posting

#13681 Post by Neutral Smith »

8)

It's a sunny day. If I want to be cool I'll turn on the airconditioning.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

JonahAndTheWolf
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Adira

#13682 Post by JonahAndTheWolf »

Cleaned up my last assignment, handed it in, and with that I'm officially done for this semester! Only one more to go!

I've got some other stuff to do, of course, but that can all wait while I pass out for at least a day xD
Grumpily succumbing to the moral imperative of tentacle-delivered pleasure like a good utilitarian :evil:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#13683 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:32 am On the subject of teaching...
Two teachers per dozen students would be quite adequate, for lack of a better turn of phrase. That said, having less teachers isn't necessarily the issue. Keep in mind that even a country with a relatively small population would still have a ratio of student to teacher, which CAN be scaled up as a percentage of general population, so the issue lies not in people to do the job, but in the system's ability to bring people into it. Teachers around here make three cents less than dirt for shaping youths' minds and futures, so if that's the path you want, you're severely limited financially, to the point you might have to change careers just to survive.

On the subject of electronics...
While they can be useful, I feel their best contributions are visual aids, virtual assistance, and sharing of information. Teaching is not something for electronics to be doing.

Additionally...
The point about only learning when you want to was stolen from Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Spoiler! length, book's story and off-topic
In the story, the character Phaedrus came up with the idea of a college without grades or scores of any kind until after the finals were taken and done. The idea behind this was that anyone who wanted to learn would stay, and anyone who didn't would leave, get a job, figure out what they wanted to do with their lives, then come back with renewed purpose.Those focused on grades would have to focus on their work, else lose their mind. On the other hand, people who usually failed and gave up because of bad grades would instead focus on the material itself instead, and would actually learn it. In practice, it worked, quite well, for the semester he did it. When he had his students evaluate the system, he found some interesting things.

Those who got good grades before, got mediocre or bad grades, and hated the system.
The middle of the class had mixed results, but placed fairly well.
The ones who usually failed, did well, and rated the system highly.

Phaedrus surmised that the over-achievers got recognition or gratification, or satisfaction or something by getting good grades, and didn't know how to react without them, while those that typically failed were no longer off-put by such low scores, allowing them to apply themselves without fear of being chastised for it.
Great book. Long, lots of philosophy, really makes you think. Also motorcycles.
unfortunately teaching is a hard job and a poorly paid one at that. it has always been a problem to find qualified people for teaching because they may make more money doing something else, specially in the case of higher education lectures. and if you teachers salaries become too high then you may not be able to pay enough teachers.
morever at least here in my country. can't speak for anywhere else. there is some stigma regarding beating a teacher. as one of my fellow classmates once so eloquently put it:
he is not the type of professor who could not find a job at oracle or some big company and decided to teach so he would not starve to deat
there is this idea that teaching is a crap job for when you are unable to find anything else. And I did meet a lot of teachers who were only doing it for paycheck and could not care less about the students or class. But they were not all of them

That sound like an interesting book, but I remember having a couple professors who simple graded the whole course on the last exam/project or at least that was a pretty significant portion of the grade. In practice the professor spend much less time grading homeworks and spend more time on the lectures. But most people simply forget to study till the last day before exam and failed the course.
JonahAndTheWolf wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:55 am Cleaned up my last assignment, handed it in, and with that I'm officially done for this semester! Only one more to go!

I've got some other stuff to do, of course, but that can all wait while I pass out for at least a day xD
Congrats!
the sweetest dreams come after a day of very hard labour.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#13684 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:55 am unfortunately teaching is a hard job and a poorly paid one at that. it has always been a problem to find qualified people for teaching because they may make more money doing something else, specially in the case of higher education lectures. and if you teachers salaries become too high then you may not be able to pay enough teachers.
morever at least here in my country. can't speak for anywhere else. there is some stigma regarding beating a teacher. as one of my fellow classmates once so eloquently put it:
he is not the type of professor who could not find a job at oracle or some big company and decided to teach so he would not starve to deat
there is this idea that teaching is a crap job for when you are unable to find anything else. And I did meet a lot of teachers who were only doing it for paycheck and could not care less about the students or class. But they were not all of them

That sound like an interesting book, but I remember having a couple professors who simple graded the whole course on the last exam/project or at least that was a pretty significant portion of the grade. In practice the professor spend much less time grading homeworks and spend more time on the lectures. But most people simply forget to study till the last day before exam and failed the course.
Having all the eggs in one basket is never a good idea, stands to reason people might fail on the last day.

I'll add that the saying "those who can't do, teach" refers more to those who can no longer do something, rather than those that couldn't to begin with. A master and apprentice sort of thing. That said, living paycheck-to-paycheck is a stressful burden that teachers should not have to deal with. Some people can't afford to care in that situation. When I was in elementary school, I ended up bringing in a 30" wide roll of paper because our teacher couldn't afford it for our lessons. Rare case, but still. Top that off with every classroom in our high school had a Smartboard and projector, and the problem shifts more toward management of funds, rather than their availability.

Also, congrats Jonah! Always a relief when stuff like that happens.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#13685 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

Congrats Jonah!
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#13686 Post by Kellard »

Time for crab

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#13687 Post by Neutral Smith »

Time for...

I'm busy, I don't have the time.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13688 Post by Bellhead »

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Kellard
Templar Master

#13689 Post by Kellard »

I don't know I'm always sleepy

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#13690 Post by Technic[Bot] »

if you are always tired you should probably go to a doctor. thought given the current situation it may be best to wait a couple months before getting an appointment.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#13691 Post by Kellard »

The big sad is to be blamed. Going to a gym would be great help, but alas.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13692 Post by Bellhead »

This is why I spent a day hotwiring the treadmill. Much safer than leaving the house.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#13693 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

I have no clue what you guys are on about knowing I see people go to the gym regularly even in times like these S:P
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13694 Post by Bellhead »

Coronavirus - The best excuse yet to stay home and do nothing!

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#13695 Post by Neutral Smith »

Stay home? Yes, the useless people stay home.

Normal work weeks are 40 hours, but since January 55 hours were no exception for me.

Just a few more weeks and the large jobs are done, then it'll be a bit more normal I hope.