Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14281 Post by Bellhead »

Personally, I just hate the feel of a CVT. They're efficient, sure, but under any sort of load, they're slow to shift, and the self-preservation programming in the computer will limit throttle at some very inopportune and illogical times. "Artificial Shift Points", they call it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14282 Post by Technic[Bot] »

As i mentioned before I am too stupid to drive manual transmission. Have tried but I only manage to stall the engine.

But even most of my colleagues, and friends from my country favor automatic a lot. And seems most people from my age bracket too.
Not completely sure why
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14283 Post by Bellhead »

Ease of operation? With an auto or a CVT, there is no constant shifting, no precise throttle control, no clutching... It's just simpler. This whole generation has been like that.

And what cars have you driven stick? Every carbuerated stick-shift I've driven has been remarkably predictable, and thus fairly easy to learn. But I am fairly mechanically inclined. Lower gears, a heavier flywheel, larger displacement engines, clutch stiffness/softness and of course throttle behavior all play a part in the driveability of a standard. I got to drive my uncle's '69 Camaro with a 350, for about 200 feet. It felt like I couldn't stall it if I tried, with how smooth and forgiving it was, with such a large engine, heavy flywheel and soft clutch.

There's just so much control in a well-made standard vehicle... I've actually never replaced brakes in one, because I downshift all the way down to jogging speed whenever I can.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14284 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well yes I was being a bit duplicitous earlier i know why it is so common but the reason really doesn't speak well of my age cohort.
.Automatic transmission is way easier and more comfortable to drive. That alone is gonna be a huge selling point for anyone my age. On top of that automatic transmissions have become cheaper, both up front and in maintenance, and they also have seen huge improvements over the years meaning a automatic car may even. Be more efficient overall than a manual one..

Alas i understand that most car experts and anyone who cares about cars per se prefer manual for the reasons you mention it give you more control over the machine while the cvt does create certain separation between your input and the output.

Now let me play the devil's advocate for my generation just a second. I like to think most people my age have realized a car is a means not a end. It is just a tool to get from a to b. If a car is just that then it makes more sense to go with a model that makes it less complicated to do that, hence automatic. Specially if there are less and less benefits to not do so

Oh yes your question! The only cars I have driven stick* are a peugeot a Nissan Sentra and a susuki swift. I always have huge problems trying to get the car to move and keep it from stalling whenever i stop. Do not have enough neurons to attend the pedals, the wheel, the gear and the road at the same time.

I do admit that I do not have that much experience driving, to this day I am a terrible driver and still prefer public transportation

* I find that phrase amusing as it makes no sense in spanish
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14285 Post by Bellhead »

If you can, try to find an American manual vehicle, even if only for a test drive, you may be surprised. I kinda suspected this, but the ones you've tried are rather difficult to learn on. I also have a few tips...

CarTalk, a radio show around here, explained it best. Now let's see how much I can remember...
With the car idling, put it in gear. Slowly release the clutch until you feel it start to drag the engine, then slowly add gas while releasing the clutch in equal amounts. Once moving, the clutch can be released all together. It's advice that's taught generations of people, and I've seen it work, but I'd still recommend a forgiving vehicle to learn with.

I'll also say that it may help to pick an RPM, usually 1500 to 2000, and maintain that RPM as you do that. I tend to think of the gas and clutch as a see-saw at that point, and feather them both at the same time. (more-gas-less-clutch, more-clutch-less-gas). It helps with unforgiving vehicles, with short engagement ranges.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14286 Post by Kellard »

Become one with the vehicle. Learn to drive it. Yell orders at it. Do a barrel roll.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14287 Post by Technic[Bot] »

It is kinda difficult for me to change vehicles at the moment. Even without the pandemic cars are significantly more expensive here. But I will keep it in mind for next time . Also thanks for the driving tips!

However if it turns out the future is indeed electric. It will render this whole discussion moot as most electric cars only have one gear.

It is expected that at some point in the future you will be any to order your car to take you somewhere and it will drive itself. However I wish instead of autonomous cars we would get flying cars. Then I would be able to do a barrel roll on my way to work.

[Edit]
Guess I am winning now
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14288 Post by Bellhead »

Not anymore, Technic. Not anymore.

On another note, the CJ broke down for the first time on me yesterday, because my dumb [censored] kinked the rubber fuel feed line when I replaced it, and what was in the carb only lasted a quarter mile. Fixed with pliers in the dark, on the side of the road. :)

And today we finally switched cars back, since my dad got his back "to record some drive cycles". So I'm back to my Impala, with jelly shocks, automatic transmission, heat and AC, radio, and no water leaks. I'm very sad about it. I've been double-clutching like a pro, and I've mastered finding all the controls in the dark. It's honestly a true joy to drive it now. It's become.. Well, very unforgiving, but very rewarding at the same time. With enough skill, she'll will do whatever you want her to, consistently, without question. She's beautiful. ...aaaand now I get to put her in the garage again, for an indeterminate amount of time. Don't get me wrong, she's earned her rest, and being out of the rain will do her good, but oh, I miss her already.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14289 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Driving that thing sounds actually fun! But a bit more "exciting" than what I can stomach.

Speaking of transmissions a clutching i remembered this old video about 1930's transmissions saying that an expert is able to change gears without even engaging the clutch. In any case give the video a watch it is worth it and personally I really liked it. Despite not liking manual manual transmission, well more likely they do not like me, I really love gears!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14290 Post by Neutral Smith »

Fun fact: I have trouble driving automatics.

I just keep slamming the brakes when I want to slowly reverse out of a tight parking spot. I'm used to clutch driving, mistaking the pedals and continue using my left foot.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14291 Post by Kellard »

My problem is trying to step on the clutch when starting the car and instinctively keeping my hand on the stick to change gears at any time.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14292 Post by Bellhead »

I've done that many times. Nearly broke my automatic because I tried to "shift" it like my Jeep.

And Technic, what you're describing is generally known as "synchro shifting" because the driver manually synchronizes the gears either by timing or by throttle control. If done properly, the clutch is only used when starting from a stop, and it's commonly used by truckers and the like, given their low operating RPMs. Done improperly, however, it can utterly destroy the synchros and shift collar bushings inside the transmission, so I only do that in a pinch or to show off.

Knowing how to, on the other hand, helps tremendously with backroad driving, as even when using the clutch, shifting by matching engine speed to gear is unlikely to ever actually slip the clutch, resulting in drastically improved clutch life. Being able to downshift smoothly also allows you to slow the vehicle down without using the brakes, which improves brake life and keeps them cooler while driving. VERY helpful on long downhill sections, where brakes can overheat and fail.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14293 Post by Technic[Bot] »

As I said before my problem is that i can't keep the engine from stalling.... :(

I do remember hearing that most big rigs drivers and truckers do need to actually synchronize semi-manually when shifting, even using the tachometer/speedometer to gets a smooth transition. Most, normal, people i know simply "feel" the correct rpms.

Also now that I think about it I had never heard of downshifting before. I had heard about braking with the engine on tight slopes but never to use the actual transmission to brake. Doesn't that strain the engine/transmission?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14294 Post by Bellhead »

Not necessarily. Not at all, if done properly. Lower gears mean the engine has more leverage over the wheels, so downshifting adds drag, but cannot add more drag than the engine's own rotational resistance, which is almost ALWAYS less than the power output in terms of force.

And force forward or backward pushes just as hard either way, so the driveline doesn't really care. Provided one can shift without stressing the trans, or major shift shock, et cetera, which would stress components anyway, so yeah.

My CJ, for instance, can easily go from 10 to 55 mph and back without touching the brakes, due to a large displacement engine and lightweight construction.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14295 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Does sounds like a rather involved maneuver. A bit too complicated for a normal driver. Or at least not well known in my circle of friend family. :S

In completely unrelated stuff i have been watching too much of this guy zapping stuff
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide