For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#14746 Post by Technic[Bot] »

The devils best trick was convincing everyone he did not exist

You know my browser caches this page for some reason.
So gonna edit my comment for posterity

August 6 2021
August 16 2021
October 26 2021
December 14 2021
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#14747 Post by Bellhead »

"The Dead Fox", song by Courtney something. Barnett, I think. Animated music video.

"More people die on the road, than they do in the ocean, maybe we'd be better off culling cars instead of sharks Or just lock them up in parks, where we can go and view them."

cannot link due to mobile...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14748 Post by Technic[Bot] »

You know an alternate reality were cars are not common, only highly trained people are allowed to drive stuff like cargo vehicles and buses and most people use trains and mass transit does not sound bad. Because you know, letting anyone and their grandmas own a giant of metal that reaches speeds up to a hundred of Km/h may have not been a great idea.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14749 Post by Bellhead »

You're not wrong, but around here, that's just not feasible. Too many places, too far apart.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14750 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Yes I do not think it is feasible today.. we would need to go back in time to the 1920 to convince everyone to invest in mass transit for urban areas and trains and bus networks for long distance travel and rural areas.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14751 Post by Kellard »

Yep. Instead of messing up the city's infrastructure so badly that implementing legitimately efficient mass transit systems becomes impossible. The only public transit system here is buses driving on the same roads as cars. Making separate roads is impossible because of the severely limited space and the same goes for trains. The cost of putting it underground would be massive too, so still out of the question. I'd much rather keep driving around on my own.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14752 Post by Bellhead »

Semi-relevant:
Spoiler! Language

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14753 Post by Neutral Smith »

I don't think you will last long in historical European cities.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14754 Post by Bellhead »

Thousands of partially marked streets only a few feet wide with little to no discerning features between them? Yeah, no. I'm good.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14755 Post by Technic[Bot] »

One one of the cities i lived they cut off one lane of several main roads to make a bus only lane. You can look it up it is called Metrobus. Not a bad idea but it is not sufficient. It would have been better to put it underground would be cheaper faster and more efficient. Alas I doubt to am pretty sure the idea was to make the most money possible for third party bus providers (bus service is provided by particulars) not efficiency.

Also I have never took an us geography class. But as far as I know Boston is significantly older than new York right? I mean old towns/ and cities really feel at odds with cars principally because when they were founded cars did not exist yet.

In any case I will keep dreaming with a world of mass transit where I do not have to drive.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14756 Post by Bellhead »

New York City and Boston aren't that different in age as you might think. New York has just been modernized since it was founded, while Boston people care too much about our lack of care toward outsiders.

In order to drive to where you're going in Boston, you can't drive "safely", or you'll never get there. You not only have to know where you're going, AND how to get there, but you also have to drive like a roman gladiator without touching anything. Having been through there, daily driving habits in Boston qualify as "reckless endangerment" in some states. Tailgating at 75 MPH, well over 100 KPH, is an everyday thing.

But, and this matters more than I ever realized, once you can make it through Boston, you can make it anywhere. Those Massachusetts license plates are a damn badge of honor. I've actually had people steer clear of me when I'm out of state. It's kinda strange. I've actually challenged lifted pickup trucks in a Prius.. and won. Then I see people with new York plates, who don't know how a rotary works.

Hayate, spoiler me if this breaks the censorship rules, but...
PROUD MASSHOLE!

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14757 Post by Kellard »

Neutral Smith wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm I don't think you will last long in historical European cities.
I am certain I would not. Downtown looks like a grid from above and I still haven't learned my way around.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14758 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Despite your colorfull description i have this idea that Massachusetts and the rest of that coast are actually nice places. Would like to visit some day.

Also sorry about the stupid question but: What is a lifted pick up truck and how a beating one of those on a prius, doing what exactly, is so rare? Also by rotary you mean a wankel engine?

Folks around where i currently live really should not own cars. They all drive like $%^&, pardon my french. Their sheer incompetence behind the wheel is something to behold. I did not know you could be that bad at something without actively trying to be bad. Before Covid i almost get run over, twice, in a parking lot...

Speaking of profanity what are the rules against profanity in images? I mean if I post a meme with some vulgarity it wont be picked up by the filter so..... Hayate sorry could you ellaborate?

I moved cities shortly before covid started and since i have been cooped up for so long i barely even know the city i have been living for over two years now.... which is kinda sad
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14759 Post by Bellhead »

Pictures do not get picked up by the swear filter, and must be hidden behind a spoiler and labeled if one is present, and any swearing done in text cannot be self-censored as that bypasses the filter as well. Beyond that, the general rule-of-thumb is to err on the side of caution for anything you're unsure of. Far as I know, anyway.

Now. Not that I think Boston, or anywhere around here, isn't a nice place to visit, far from it. There's a lot of history here, and the landscape is quite nice. But the drivers here treat these roads like a battleground. If two cars need to merge, one will need to back off. In an ideal situation, they'd already be staggered, and merging would be easy, but on a highway for instance, that's sometimes just not an option, and the two will stay neck-and-neck until the last possible second before staggering to merge. That's what I meant by "challenging". And typically, larger vehicles win by default because smaller vehicles would be wrecked completely if they crashed.

A "lifted pickup truck" is a pickup truck that has had the suspension ride height (height of the body) raised further from the ground, typically with larger wheels and tires, and various body modifications. Challenging something like that, in something as small and light as a Prius, is very not smart, and unlikely to succeed. But with enough nerve, and being out-of-state with Mass plates, it works fairly often because most people don't challenge your right-of-way if you have Mass plates in another state.

Rotaries. They're common in Europe, from what I understand. Also known as traffic circles, they take the place of a Stop sign or a set of traffic lights, and cars drive in a circle instead; merging into the circle and then exiting off, without the inherent need to stop. In an area with fairly constant traffic flow, it keeps things moving without causing backups due to light timing, and is unaffected by power outages. PROVIDED, of course, that people know how to freaking MERGE. Otherwise traffic just stops while some schmuck tries to figure out which pedal makes the car go vroom vroom.

And that's my text wall for the day.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#14760 Post by Hayate »

Use the spoiler tool to hide any images with explicit language. Do not post any explicit images. Do not post anything with racist or homophobic or otherwise hateful language. Details are in the forum rules.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--