Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#14446 Post by Bellhead »

Congrats on the 777 post count, by the way.

And there's quite a bit to look at, in terms of variety, if you know what to look for. But yeah.. FLCL was only 6 episodes, I finished it at work today. And.. I think I understand.. some of it.
Spoiler!
The crazy alien girl ran over the boy with a vespa and hit him on the head with a guitar/chainsaw/gun/hammer so he would grow a horn that would spawn the incarnation of the legendary space pirate she fell in love with who was captured by an evil corporation hell-bent on taking over every planet in the galaxy.
I think.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14447 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh i did not noticed the post number.Thanks
I guess now everyone can read write an execute me...*

yeah lcfc is a very short anime. Creators were given standard budget for a normal anime season but decided to half the number of episodes to able to get the vision they had to the screen

I dunno why I stopped liking anime. I occasionally read synopsys of animes i get recommended but they rarely caught my attention and when they do is for the wrong reasons.

*Weird reference, sorry couldn't resist
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14448 Post by Bellhead »

So, good news. I flat-towed a cargo van with my jeep. Spun all 4 tires in the process, but it worked without stressing the drivetrain. Darn snow tires...

And speaking of, I recently learned a.. very disturbing fact. These snow tires, which I remember being on that jeep in the winter, have been sitting outside on the ground for over a decade. Then I put them on it, and drove it to work. And pulled a cargo van. Found out later that those aren't just old tires. They're the FACTORY snow tires. From the 60's. No wonder they rode like tank treads when I first put them on...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14449 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do not know much about snow tires specially 60 years old snow tires or snow driving in general. But by your post i imagine is not a fun nor advisable to use tires older than yourself.

Curiously enough i do know about tank steering. Unlike normal cars which uses an ackerman geometry tanks use a differential drive train. Since tank threads are fixed to turn one thread accelerates and the other slows down. I have never driven a tank but the extra limitations imposed by this type of steering must make the experience " fun and unique". For example you can, theoretically spin in place using s differential drive.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14450 Post by Bellhead »

Driving in snow is like... how to describe it... Every reaction is sluggish, you have severely reduced traction and severely increased rolling resistance. Small hills can become impassable, and light corners must be taken at extremely low speeds. Better tires help a LOT, but you're never a moment away from losing all control of your vehicle.

As for my comment on tank treads, it's nothing that complex. Old tires, or poorly worn tires, or off-road tires for that matter, are no longer very round. More like a 20-sided polygon rather than a circle, sometimes worse. Imagine driving on a rumble strip on the highway, but all the time. It can get rough, depending on just how bad your tires are. Helps in adverse conditions though, since knobby tires tend to slip less in snow, dirt and water.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14451 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I imagine is like driving under really wet or oily road. Not fun. I had watched some videos of cars unable to stop, accelerate or steer in a snowy road as they have no traction. It looks terrifying to be frank

So you meant blocky wheels. I imagine that has to be a bumpy ride, at least you a have suspension. Speaking of weird wheels did you know you can have omnidirectional wheels?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14452 Post by Bellhead »

Indeed I did, but that works better for forklifts and such. And yeah, unless you're ready for it, winter storm driving can -and will- scare the snot out of you. It's very helpful to know how to drift so you can control your slide, but the most important thing is not to lock up your brakes.

Also, suspension doesn't help with tank tread tires on a '68. 4-wheel leaf springs and both solid axles don't exactly lead to a smooth ride on the best of days.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14453 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well yeah I imagine a car from the 60s doesn't not have much of the creature comforts we are used to this day.
But again you got a suspension if only leafs springs. I am not sure if any car was built like this but I was thinking on dead axles with no suspension whatsoever. Imagine a carriage axles. Never ridden a carriage myself but I have been told you could basically feel the road down the wheels.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14454 Post by Bellhead »

That you could, but even they still had leaf springs. That said, if ever you get the chance to ride in a vintage Cadillac from that era, don't pass it up. Even without the many creature comforts it has, they were FAMOUS for riding like a cloud.

Coil springs are good for a smooth ride with light load. Heavier vehicles, however, need leaf springs for the strength. And if done properly, the weight can actually smooth out the ride. Graceful, I'd call it. Agile, I would not.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14455 Post by Neutral Smith »

I'm still alive.

I have no life.

And away.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14456 Post by Bellhead »

I feel compelled to say, "Being alive and not 'living' {something something something dark side}"

But hey, if we had social lives, we wouldn't spend all our time in here, so you're in good company. :)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14457 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Something dark and edgy like this?

Honestly though and at risk of sounding cheesy even since lockdown started, almost a year ago, I know i can always log here and find some nice, if virtual, company.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14458 Post by Bellhead »

I was thinking more of this:
The Missing Lynx wrote:Professor - What's the point of being free if you aren't alive?
Female Lynx - But what's the point of being alive if you aren't free?
And yeah. For that reason, I hope phpBB and IRC never die, because they're just so simple and reliable.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14459 Post by Technic[Bot] »

PhpBB is many things, maybe reliable is not one of them. But it did one job and did it well, make forums for people to make communities. It is a shame modern forums are just 4 sites: Facebook, twitter, youtube [add local flavour of facebook of here].

Fortunately IRC is an open standard and relatively popular still. And phpBB is open source so they won't go away anytime soon. Although if no one uses them it may be a moot point...

Is that an 3d animation movie?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14460 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 pm Is that a 3d animation movie?
Indeed. Happened upon it several years ago, I forget how. Kinda bland animation, straightforward story with a predictable ending.