--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#14432 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well I think we talked about this before. The max number of post is limited not by phpbb but by the underlying database. In turn the database is limited mostly by available storage. So I doubt we will see issues until we reach a couple tens of thousands of pages.

If you want a real problem to worry about i present you the Unix epochcalypse. Which is like Y2K but with actual problems.

That being said unless the forum is running on the background of a 90s laptop in the back of Turaiel couch the forum should be ok.

Also in case my user was wiped the couple last pages of the thread would seem almost entirely written by Mr 🔔
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#14433 Post by Bellhead »

In other news, I had fun with CD's today. Heh, when's the last time somebody said that?

Wanted to play an old spy game (In Cold Blood, 2002) and it's not installed on my machine. So I tried the disk drive, since I have the original disks: Drive's dead. So I tried copying the files onto a jump drive with my laptop and installing from there: Program glitched out and won't install. So I tried to share the laptop's CD drive over the network: XP won't talk to 10. So we booted up my father's XP machine: it's got something on it that prevents it from doing... well, anything. So I cannibalized an old Gateway, took the CD drive from it, booted my computer with it in it and tried again: Failure to load. So I blew on it.

Now I can play In Cold Blood, all 3 disks, in glorious 10 FPS at a whopping 480p, even better than it was intended for. Ah~ the joys of having a game so old that my hardware is no longer obsolete...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14434 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I still have my old AoE CDs around. Though nowhere to play them...

It is possible to create a virtual image of the game to prevent further issues with hardware down the line and for archiving. Or not, usb based cd drives run for cheap almost ánywhere.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#14435 Post by Neutral Smith »

I have a large Steam library with a lot of old games, but my current computer crashes when I try to do some gaming.

It's not a temperature problem, I can run some BOINC projects without a problem (100% CPU and GPU load)

But I also don't have time to play games, so I miss nothing.

So I occasionally play this game: Last man posting.

Fun little game, must be played in a browser.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14436 Post by Bellhead »

Funny you should mention crashing, I woke up in the middle of the night to my PC stuck in a boot loop again.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14437 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I have a couple of steam games but I prefer to game on my console. Due to my setup steam doesn't work on my personal machine. Nvidia drivers are a pain to setup.

I remember this entonces when you could waste an entire day playing tiny browser based games. But now that flash is dead. We are stuck with io fake multiplayer games
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14438 Post by Bellhead »

Just because nobody develops for it anymore, doesn't mean it's dead, per se. It just means anything you play has to be old.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14439 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Not necessary. Support for flash is kaput but most games can be played with an decidated player for example
flashpoint which is free and open source if I might add.
And thanks to the wonders of emulation you really do not need old hardware to play even venerably ancient games like atari titles.

Following that there are some, decidedly weird, people that have developed new games for dead platforms, for example NES.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14440 Post by Bellhead »

Gods I hate stupid people...

Points if you get the ref.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14441 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Nope didn't get it.

Some good old fashioned self-deprecating humor maybe?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14442 Post by Bellhead »

Bill Engvall. Blue-collar comedian. One of his more famous bits is "Here's your sign." The idea is, stupid people should have to wear signs telling other people, "I am stupid." so other people can avoid them.

Example:
Pulled my car over to the side of the road because it was overheating. Hood open, smoke pouring out.. This guy pulls up, sees the car, looks at me and says, "Did your car break down?" I said, "Nope. Car wanted a cigarette, so I pulled over. Here's your sign."

There are DOZENS of these. Never heard one that didn't make me laugh.

On another note, I have discovered an anime called FLCL. I'm 3 episodes in and I... don't really know what's going on. At all. It makes no sense. I just don't get it. But at the same time, it's extremely entertaining, and I can't for the LIFE of me, figure out why. Let's see... Crazy girl riding a vespa runs a kid over, then he grows a horn. That a medical robot warrior.. thing.. spawns from. Then it moves in with him, and occasionally eats him so he can pilot it against other.. grow-out-of-head robot.. things. Oh, and crazy girl's main weapon is a guitar/chainsaw that she uses as a hammer, and uses the robot housemate TV-headed thing as an amp. I am.. very confused. And somehow, the mayor's daughter saw that the kid grew cat ears, and now he has to play a talking cat in a play.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#14443 Post by Kellard »

I am not going to try to make sense of that

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14444 Post by Bellhead »

That's why I included Obama. His reaction is my own.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#14445 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am not well informed on american stand up comedy :S

Oh yes FLCL. The closest thing, that I know of. That we can call experimental anime. never watched it but heard about it when I was young and it was very much praised by the 3 persons i know who actually watched it. as you point out it's "weirdness" deep plot and certainly obtuse metaphors put off a lot of people keeping it a niche product.

Wonder if I will ever watch anime again. Was relatively fond of it on my teenage years but kinda lost interest on it after high school.

This was post 777
Chmod 777 /tec
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide