Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Last Man Posting

#15061 Post by Bellhead »

Welcome'ese!

Points if you get the ref.

Also, is the main site loading really slowly for anyone else today? It's like it's bugged or something.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15062 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am in the negatives at this point...

No it works fine for me. That being said ever since the change to the automatic theme (dark/light) detector i ocassionally notice it is a bit slower. I blame my crappy internet though,

EDIT: Nevermind cannot access it now. Wonder what is wrong?

EDIT 2: Yeah seems it has intermittent issues when connecting.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15063 Post by Kellard »

Guess that's gone now

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15064 Post by Bellhead »

Eh. "Welcome'ese" was a response Flora said to Trace that night at the campfire with Keith, where she accidentally got completely wasted. This page. Has since been retconned, but that's what she originally said.. or at least, what she said when I found the comic. See also, Trees are ch'rall, and grass is marlch'ren. At the time, Tom didn't have the brackets around her words there, so those two were the only keidran translated words we had.

It's pretty old, now, but yeah. That was a thing. Am I the only one who was here when that was a thing? I feel old now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15065 Post by Technic[Bot] »

When you feel old remember i am older than you! ( In fact if ignoring Mr Smith i am one of the oldest here...)

Page 39? That was 17 years ago... Incidentally, how old were you when you found the comic for the first time?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15066 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:49 pm I do also daily drive an Ubuntu laptop and occasionally, very sparingly, rarely use gimp for minor image edition. I barely even understand how to use it.
When I have the time, I pick a goal, then experiment to see if I can achieve it. As learning goes, it's unstructured, but fun.
Bellhead wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 am See also, Trees are ch'rall, and grass is marlch'ren.
Psst... other way around.
(When I first saw that, my brain mistranslated "grass" as the similar sounding Kzinti word, which was amusing...)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15067 Post by Bellhead »

Well, huh. Now that I think about it, you might be right about that. Good catch, and glad I'm not the only one who remembers. Nice one.

And Technic, I don't remember how old I was, but the first page I saw come out was Natani's full-body image after the ship fire, when his robes got ripped off. Lemme do some digging...

That page was from January of 2012, so I would have been... 16? Yeah, that sounds right.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15068 Post by Neutral Smith »

I'm not old! I'm 21 with 19 years of experience!
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15069 Post by Bellhead »

Today is March 573, 2020. It's still March, with a year and a half of experience.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15070 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:17 am
When I have the time, I pick a goal, then experiment to see if I can achieve it. As learning goes, it's unstructured, but fun.
Bellhead wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 am See also, Trees are ch'rall, and grass is marlch'ren.
(When I first saw that, my brain mistranslated "grass" as the similar sounding Kzinti word, which was amusing...)
That is very cool did you do that too? I do enjoy learning by experimentation but due my inexistent artistic talent i have stayed away from software like Gimp and blender.

Also to bomb my street cred even more: What's a kzinti?
Bellhead wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 pm Well, huh. Now that I think about it, you might be right about that. Good catch, and glad I'm not the only one who remembers. Nice one.

And Technic, I don't remember how old I was, but the first page I saw come out was Natani's full-body image after the ship fire, when his robes got ripped off. Lemme do some digging...

That page was from January of 2012, so I would have been... 16? Yeah, that sounds right.
So page 645 interesting. Was 18 at the time if i remember correctly. Just starting college

I am still one of the new guys around here, behind Mr Tornir, though i suspect he has been here longer than what It seems. But ever since starting posting in the forum i have wondered what it would have been like if i had find the comic on my more "formative" years. In any case I am kinda glad I didn't find it when I was 12 or something.

There was also a joke in my local Facebook about January 2020 lasting 3 months. To this day i Don't get it....
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#15071 Post by Kellard »

I found it when I was 14.
I still remember the date and the page I first saw when I entered the site.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15072 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:42 pm
Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:17 am When I have the time, I pick a goal, then experiment to see if I can achieve it. As learning goes, it's unstructured, but fun.
That is very cool did you do that too? I do enjoy learning by experimentation but due my inexistent artistic talent i have stayed away from software like Gimp and blender.
Yes. photomanipulation is fairly easy to get decent results with. Actual art (like 2K) ideally needs a scanner or a digital tablet; laptop trackpads aren't easy tools to create masterpieces on.
Smileys are an exception. When you get down to sizes of 25x25 pixels, image creation is more like building with Lego than drawing.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:42 pm Also to bomb my street cred even more: What's a kzinti?
The Kzinti are a star faring race occupying the shared world of Known Space created by the SF author Larry Niven.
Imagine a Hulked-out male Tiger Keidran, with his ears and tail shaved, and you have a fair approximation of a Kzin.
In their language, the word ch'rowl means "to have sex", so Keidran grass caught me off guard when I read it.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:42 pm
Bellhead wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 pm Well, huh. Now that I think about it, you might be right about that. Good catch, and glad I'm not the only one who remembers. Nice one.

So page 645 interesting. Was 18 at the time if i remember correctly. Just starting college

I am still one of the new guys around here, behind Mr Tornir, though i suspect he has been here longer than what It seems. But ever since starting posting in the forum i have wondered what it would have been like if i had find the comic on my more "formative" years. In any case I am kinda glad I didn't find it when I was 12 or something.
I've only been on the forum 2.5 months, from when I rediscovered 2K, but I first found the comic back in October 2004, and followed it until around February 2010.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15073 Post by Bellhead »

Technic, the issue with March of 2020 was that SO MUCH CRAP happened, in the same month, that was all so bizarre, that with everything that happened that year, it just... didn't ever seem like March ever ended.

Things have since calmed down, generally speaking, so it's not as funny a concept as it was back then, but even now, it's kinda funny to think back to everything that happened in such a short time. COVID spread without available vaccine, firenados, mutant female crayfish clone cemetery invasion, west coast forest fires causing haze on the east coast... record temperatures all over the place. 2020 was just a nightmare. Like, a "Who's playing Jumanji?" nightmare.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15074 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Kellard wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:19 pm I found it when I was 14.
Well to be fair that was not that long ago :P
If you do not mind me asking Do you think 2K had any defect on you growing up? Meaning do you think it affected what kind of person you became?
Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 pm -snip-
I've only been on the forum 2.5 months, from when I rediscovered 2K, but I first found the comic back in October 2004, and followed it until around February 2010.
Wow comic started in late 2003 so that means you have been with the comic almost from the start longer than our resident veteran Gen. Bellhead. Curiously enough seem there are not that many old fans around, the forum interaction dropped precipitously after the basitin island arc. Overall the comic popularity maintained but because it got new fans.

Personally i think 15 year old me would have loved the comic and the old timey forum but i am not sure it would have been appropriate for him. I joined my first English speaking forum, I am mexican english not my first language, when i was 18 so i may have been unable to interact here. Probably would have ended a furry too.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:55 am Technic, the issue with March of 2020 was that SO MUCH CRAP happened, in the same month, that was all so bizarre, that with everything that happened that year, it just... didn't ever seem like March ever ended.

Things have since calmed down, generally speaking, so it's not as funny a concept as it was back then, but even now, it's kinda funny to think back to everything that happened in such a short time. COVID spread without available vaccine, firenados, mutant female crayfish clone cemetery invasion, west coast forest fires causing haze on the east coast... record temperatures all over the place. 2020 was just a nightmare. Like, a "Who's playing Jumanji?" nightmare.
I mean yes i was there too! Just a couple hundred kilometers south, but after 1 year of almost no stop disasters one kinda gets used to it 🤷, specially stuck in my boring work from home job, also it is not like 2021 is all sunshine an rainbows. I have not got my second vaccine those, almost anywhere not US or Europe it is very hard to get one.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#15075 Post by Kellard »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:36 am
Kellard wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:19 pm I found it when I was 14.
Well to be fair that was not that long ago :P
If you do not mind me asking Do you think 2K had any defect on you growing up? Meaning do you think it affected what kind of person you became?
Don't think so. I mean I guess I'm a furry now, but the comic itself didn't have much of an influence on me as a person. More so the people who I've met after getting into the comic.
I consider myself a decent and functional person if nothing else.
That being said, I don't think introducing teenagers to furries is a good idea in general lmao.