For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#15001 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I figured as much

I dont want to imagine the kind of fellow were you decide to take the nuclear option.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15002 Post by Kellard »

So I just went back in time (used the forum search tool) and as far as I can tell this thread never reached 1000 pages before. Unless something happened between then and now and I somehow missed it/forgot about it, I'm pretty sure of that.
Anyway. We have a new milestone to reach. Though at this rate I'm not sure it will ever be reached.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15003 Post by Bellhead »

If you mean 15K posts, that's already met. If you mean 10,000 pages, I'd recommend aiming for 2,000 instead.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15004 Post by Technic[Bot] »

The only way we ever gget to 10k is if somehow the comic becomes as popular as, dunno, marvel comics overnight.

But 2k, pun intended, we may reach that in our lifetimes.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15005 Post by Bellhead »

Even if Twokinds becomes Marvel popular, this old LMP thread would never get to 10,000 posts without some kind of shenanigans. phpBB has been on its way out for years, so even if popularity DID skyrocket, conversation would all be on Reddit and Discord and the like. It's been said before, and I'll say it again: This format, and the message board style in general, is clunky and cumbersome these days. The only people that would even use this IF it became popular, would be the rare breed of [insert age- and technology-related insult here] who would refuse to use anything newer, but is also not old enough to be stuck on something older.

It would take a metric [censored] ton of very specific-minded people all interested in this one comic, who also have the time to dedicate to a regular forum presence. Theoretically possible, but practically, completely impossible.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15006 Post by Technic[Bot] »

... That is my line.

I mean lets assume that overnight Tk gets a million fans, out of thin air if you will, although honestly we are one viral tweet away from achieve critical mass but i digress. Let assume the 0.1% of that or around 1000 people are old timers like use who are willing to use the forum. The average 2k fan is in his mid twenties, most of us have used at least on of these type of forums before so i think it is a reasonable number.

On a good day we, 5 people can get a page, around 15 posts , so around 3 post/person/day . So 1000 persons posting here once a day around 3000 post a day, lest scale that back to 1000 as a more realistic number (or one post per person per day on average). Now for page 10k we need around 135000 post ( again considering a page of 15 posts) which would be 135 days. Or around a third of a years. Even if we consider only 100 post a day we would get there on 3 years of course this tapers off rather fast: 10 daily posts here and we would need 36 years to get there.

So i think it would be possible, unlikey as even 1000 new posters is a moonshot also at some point the thread will move so fast we would go insane and the mods would have to nuke the whole thread regularly to keep our sanity in check.

Also would like to see what a Marvel level popularity IRC #twokinds would look like.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15007 Post by Neutral Smith »

I tried the unofficial Discord, but I ran away screaming.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Kellard
Templar Master

#15008 Post by Kellard »

Understandable.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15009 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah, I've heard stories.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15010 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am officially too old to use Discord. Not joking tried it once with a friend to chat while we game. Could not make sense of it we gave up and ended using Whatsapp.

Is the non-official discord that bad?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15011 Post by Bellhead »

I've... learned not to ask. Forums are organized, straightforward, and well-maintained and moderated. The Discord is, well, not. From what I've heard, anyway.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15012 Post by Neutral Smith »

Depends on the server.

But I don't have a good reference of what an average server looks like, I'm only in two.

One is the Discord server of a computer forum I've been a member of for more than 20 years, that has a very strict moderation, and one is another webcomic where they called me 'young' for being born in 1981, I have never seen a moderation action there, it's all just common sense.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Kellard
Templar Master

#15013 Post by Kellard »

I'm supposed to be in the age range of the target audience for discord. I think it's awful. I understand how it works but it feels incredibly awkward to me and I only ever use it for calls.
Any big server is also an absolute mess, and small servers with friends don't really have any use beyond calls because I'd rather message them through a different platform.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15014 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do not really understand the point of discord. So it is a chat? Ok there are others services that provide same service. It has voichat too? I mean i have several zooms meetings a week. So do not understand what is the point of it. Also I don't understand how it makes money. I do not use service if i do not know how they are monetized.

Bellhead wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:42 am I've... learned not to ask. Forums are organized, straightforward, and well-maintained and moderated. The Discord is, well, not. From what I've heard, anyway.
We are also a very very tiny forum. And moderation does not scale linearly with numbers of members.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#15015 Post by Kellard »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:42 am I do not really understand the point of discord. So it is a chat? Ok there are others services that provide same service. It has voichat too? I mean i have several zooms meetings a week. So do not understand what is the point of it. Also I don't understand how it makes money. I do not use service if i do not know how they are monetized.
I know at least part of their money comes from their subscription system. "Discord nitro".
Other than that I think people like it because it's like a self contained forum kinda. Different rooms for different purposes, and voice calls. I don't actually see the appeal though because unlike a forum, chats are chaotic no matter what once you have enough members, and I definitely don't like dealing with the chaos of an entire server with poor navigation capabilities. I'd rather stick to a simple single chat.