Any good read lately? (And other bookish discussion)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Kitsune
Council Member

Re: Any good read lately? (And other bookish discussion)

#481 Post by Kitsune »

Lets see...I just recently finished A Memory of Light from the Wheel of Time saga, which is a very amazing read which I highly recommend! I also just began to read Sword Art Online, which is another very nice read.

Evilsqirrel
Council Member

#482 Post by Evilsqirrel »

Kitsune wrote:Lets see...I just recently finished A Memory of Light from the Wheel of Time saga, which is a very amazing read which I highly recommend! I also just began to read Sword Art Online, which is another very nice read.
Meh. I never could get much into the wheel of time series. I much more prefer the Night Angel Trilogy.

Serizawa
Merchant
Location: The land of eternal summer,coconut milk and frequent festivals celebration

#483 Post by Serizawa »

I read books on a weekly basis.

The little prince.I read the short edition(?)
Nice book that questions adult and the growing up problem.

Spice and wolf by isuna hasekura
I love how the author illustrate the character and he is able to mix 4 themes(Fantasy,Medieval,Romance,Economics) in one novel perfectly.

The treasury of wit and wisdom by reader digest.
a vault of very good quotes.

Ex: If signs is so effective, why dont we put up signs like do not murder, do not steal,do not all over the streets,It worth a try. :D
Quote of the mood:I post a rough concept 1st,please dont quote me within 10min of the post time

Zylver
Grand Templar

#484 Post by Zylver »

Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray

The author of this book really got ahead of the era of literature he lived in. Wilde only published novel got heavily criticised by his peers because of the story and concept that is totally like a modern day thriller :)

"- [The picture] will always look like that. You, Mr. Gray, I'm afraid not. We wither and scar because the gods are cruel and hateful.
- Or perhaps I should nail my soul on the devil's altar."

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#485 Post by LuckyMudman »

Peter V. Brett: Daylight War

I'm close to finishing it now, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a part of the 'Demon series', currently there's three books out: The Painted Man (or The Warded Man, depends on the translation); The Desert Spear and The Daylight War.

I recommend it for anyone who likes a fantasy setting, a warning though: the books have their NSFW moments, but are more detailed only if it's plot important. Not that I mind >.> <.< ^.^
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#486 Post by jacobc62 »

the entire 10 book Pendragon series by D. J. Machale. Hands down (in my opinion) the best book series out there. It has great story telling, somewhat up-to-date pop culture references, a few funny scenes, a large adveture, and many action sequences broken into many chapters that usually end with cliffhangers..... until you read the next page.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#487 Post by EvilNinjadude »

jacobc62 wrote: many chapters that usually end with cliffhangers..... until you read the next page.
Sorry if I go OT here and annotate briefly that I once read a "Goosebumps" (kids') book with a cliffhanger about kids approaching a haunted house. Oooh, spooky.

In the next chapter, the tension was LITERALLY resolved in one Sentence after which it skips to them sitting at home over tea and discussing it. I mean, seriously? WTF. S:P :evil:

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#488 Post by jacobc62 »

Don't worry, it's not THAT type of CH. It's the whole.... how should I put this..... uh... see the example below:
One of the many cliffhangers in the Pendragon series wrote:blahblahblahblah..... But that was when the trouble started...

*TURN PAGE, NEXT CHAPTER* Had [character] been 20 yards closer to us, he would've been hit. Had we been closer to him, I would've been hit. Regardless, a missile hit right inbetween me and him. Blahblahblahblahblah......
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#489 Post by EvilNinjadude »

jacobc62 wrote:Don't worry, it's not THAT type of CH. It's the whole.... how should I put this..... uh... see the example below:
One of the many cliffhangers in the Pendragon series wrote:blahblahblahblah..... But that was when the trouble started...

*TURN PAGE, NEXT CHAPTER* Had [character] been 20 yards closer to us, he would've been hit. Had we been closer to him, I would've been hit. Regardless, a missile hit right inbetween me and him. Blahblahblahblahblah......
Yeah, he does that. I sort of started the first book while waiting for a Game of Thrones book to be returned to the library so I could take it out. Because it's a fact of life that the book must always be better. If I had more time, I'd read the rest of the series too.

Hoppy
Templar GrandMaster

#490 Post by Hoppy »

Just read the latest 2 books by David Weber to come out in paperback.
-'A Rising Thunder', from his Honor Harrington series
and
-'How Firm a Foundation', from his Safehold series

Of the 2, "Foundation" was the better book, I think, simply because of how much larger the book itself was. I mean as in more pages. I bought the books last Friday and read both already. I had a hard time putting them down! I spent, like, 10 hours a day reading... I highly recommend anything written by David Weber.
Image Image

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional." --(I dunno who said it but I'm doing a fine job of proving it's true.)

Evilsqirrel
Council Member

#491 Post by Evilsqirrel »

EvilNinjadude wrote:
jacobc62 wrote:Don't worry, it's not THAT type of CH. It's the whole.... how should I put this..... uh... see the example below:

Yeah, he does that. I sort of started the first book while waiting for a Game of Thrones book to be returned to the library so I could take it out. Because it's a fact of life that the book must always be better. If I had more time, I'd read the rest of the series too.
Ah... the pendragon series: by far the biggest troll of a series I have ever read. Gets right to a major battle scene, and SWITCH TO THE OTHER DUDE!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#492 Post by anonfox123 »

A good book I've read recently is a suspenseful sci-fi, call the Wol omnibus, a collection of stories in the Wool series by Hugh Howey.

It's an underwhelming title, but don't be fooled! Post-apocalyptic distopian intrigue awaits!
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#493 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Evilsqirrel wrote:Ah... the pendragon series: by far the biggest troll of a series I have ever read. Gets right to a major battle scene, and SWITCH TO THE OTHER DUDE!
You sure it's the biggest? Have you read Eragon? Those 4-pointed stars made me rage every time.

It's like Game of Thrones with less characters and even more terribly placed Transitions. It's probably why I can read GoT now without dying of Frustration.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#494 Post by Myperson54 »

If you're into high-tech semi-hard science fiction, I highly recommend Iain M. Banks' Culture series. Most of them are really good, with the exception of a few which were really odd, even for him.

A word of warning though, prepare to remember long, weird names, ands lots of them!

Also, I think it's important to note that his next book will be his last, since he has very little time to live; he has cancer. :'(

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Serizawa
Merchant
Location: The land of eternal summer,coconut milk and frequent festivals celebration

#495 Post by Serizawa »

I read book on a weekly basis

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen
A good book that i buyed after my 1st topic 'expanded', explain the introvert physical and mental stuff that make one a introvert,simplified and direct explanation,Listed Introvert daily must face problem and the method of solving
more like a psychology/body structure learning book than a self enrichment book.

Any pokemon official guide (is this even count?)
For the nostalgia
Quote of the mood:I post a rough concept 1st,please dont quote me within 10min of the post time