Any good read lately? (And other bookish discussion)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

FoxBlood
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maddie

Any good read lately? (And other bookish discussion)

#1 Post by FoxBlood »

I've been reading this interesting poem written by a Dante Alighieri called Dante's Divine Comedy. It's real interesting. It's about Dante's trip through the nine stages of Hell. Each one he saw was a punishment befitting the crime. Sounds kinda nasty, but it's a real page turner. I found a sight that has his work on there last night if your interested check it out.

http://www.divinecomedy.org/divine_comedy.html

Just remember before trying to read it in Italian switch its edition to Mandelbaum so you can read it in English.

If anyone wlse has interesting reads (esp. poetry) ten tell me of it I'm always up to reading new things that may catch my interest, instead of just reading webcomics forever.
Help my city grow! Just click each link to help!
http://maldoon.myminicity.com
http://maldoon.myminicity.com/ind

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Re: Any good read lately?

#2 Post by FastChapter »

SlowFag
Master

#3 Post by SlowFag »

Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. Seems like a bit of a rehash of Heirs of Empire from his Empire From The Ashes series, but it was a good read nonetheless. I always enjoy Weber's work.

FoxBlood
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maddie

#4 Post by FoxBlood »

SlowFag wrote:Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. Seems like a bit of a rehash of Heirs of Empire from his Empire From The Ashes series, but it was a good read nonetheless. I always enjoy Weber's work.
Sounds interesting what's it about?
Help my city grow! Just click each link to help!
http://maldoon.myminicity.com
http://maldoon.myminicity.com/ind

Ultramus
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Ultramus »

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski(My personal favorite book): Ergodic style existential story, hugely engrossing.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov(the best book written in the english language): Once a banned book, many objected to the content but it is the sympathy you begin to feel for the protagonist that makes it so great.

Pale Fire by Nabokov: this one is written half epic poem and half commentary, but the characters are fictional, as in the commentary is part of the book.

Paradise Lost by John Milton: This is one you would probably enjoy if you are liking the Divine comedy.

Plenty more but all those should last you a while.

SlowFag
Master

#6 Post by SlowFag »

FoxBlood wrote:
SlowFag wrote:Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. Seems like a bit of a rehash of Heirs of Empire from his Empire From The Ashes series, but it was a good read nonetheless. I always enjoy Weber's work.
Sounds interesting what's it about?
Basic synopsis of Off Armageddon Reef? Humanity is nearly wiped out by a species of genocidal aliens. A small colonization force escapes their grasp so that humanity might run and try to survive. They find refuge on a small earth-like world. However, some of the colony's administrators have set themselves up as gods on this new world, and mentally reprogrammed all of the colonists to believe in them. Through holy scriptures, they've outlawed all technology greater than wind, muscle, and water power. Hundreds of years later, it's up to a cyborg replica of a long-dead fleet officer to reverse the cultural stagnation that has set in and re-awaken humanity to the threat that they had escaped long ago. It differs from Heirs of Empire in that it's more focused on naval warfare with sailing vessels and cannon, and Heirs of Empire was more about land-based warfare with matchlocks and pikes.

(SPOILERS)Something that might give some slight interest to TwoKinds readers is the main character is somewhat like Natani. Nimue Alban, the long-dead fleet officer, has had her consciousness downloaded into a cyborg body. However, in order to fit into the patriarchal society of the world she finds herself in, she reconfigures her body to that of a male, and adopts the persona of Merlin Athrawes. Somewhat Natani-esque, as I anticipate that she will develop feelings later in the series for Prince Cayleb of Charis, but be forced to hide them as well as her true sexuality.(SPOILERS)

As for the Empire From The Ashes series, it starts off with the book Mutineer's Moon. The real quick and dirty on that one is that the moon is actually a giant camouflaged spaceship and humanity's inhabitation of earth is the result of an unresolved mutiny that occurred onboard many thousands of years prior to our present day.

You can read the Empire From The Ashes series online here.

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Ster Zetanee »

I wish I am so bored, I need to go out and get the some new books.
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

Gray
Council Member

#8 Post by Gray »

The Count of Monte Cristo.

Supposed to read it for school.

> SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id = 3

Bane Dragon
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by Bane Dragon »

The Black Trillium. Trying to find the next book in the series, Blood Trillium.
Image Image
What's this say about me? O.o

Ashpool
Templar Master

#10 Post by Ashpool »

FastChapter wrote:Image
Agreed. I'm in the middle of it right now.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

Ultramus
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Ultramus »

Two I finished most recently is Crime and Punishment by Dosteovsky, and A Happy Death by Camus. I read a ton, I have paid well over $100 to my library, and the books that I have are months and months overdue, I normally rent out a dozen and then read them all, but I don't turn them in until I'm done. Fortunately I don't feel too bad because I always pay the fines and bring them back, and nobody ever reads these books anyways.

Aherdofgoats
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Aherdofgoats »

A gust of wind flutters, the world in dark night.......................................................................Floating dust

A soul sets out into the empty sky..............................................................................................................................................Rising moon

Passing over, it's destination is the end of paradise......................................Concealing a miracle

If only one prayer can be heard, let life resound.................................................................A flower that is heaven's mirror

Faint light blossoms, together we believe,..................................................................................................Beams of sunlight shine through the trees,

A row of many gazes..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................A dazzling world,

A gentle melody is the end of memory, .......................................................................................................................A soul that rings the bell of peace.

If only one wish may be granted, let life run free.

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#13 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

The entirety of the Dresden Files. Damn good books.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Verilidaine »

Oro_Kai wrote:The Count of Monte Cristo.

Supposed to read it for school.
Favorite book of all time :grin: Unabridged?

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#15 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

Ooo that book kicked [censored] : D
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/