Any good read lately? (And other bookish discussion)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

21stPrimarch
Traveler

Re: Any good read lately?

#211 Post by 21stPrimarch »

SmashFiles wrote:The Pendragon Series

I just finished it a few days ago, and it had the best ending to a book series that i've ever read. It fit so perfectly. I may just reread them all soon.
Same as me. And I agree completely. I was worried the ending would kill it but it turned out being extremely satisfying. I'll miss it though. (;_;)
Join us.

Magi Bros.
Citizen

#212 Post by Magi Bros. »

I've been reading my friend's Anthro novel and Short Stories on his Da. I think they're pretty good.

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#213 Post by Silver Seren »

Crap, i've got Soldiers of Halla on hold at the library, but it says it's going to take 24 days. (;_;) I'm so deprived.

Ornais
Templar Master

#214 Post by Ornais »

Silver Wing.
^-It's ok I guess.

AND

The things they carried
^-VERY BORING BOOK
Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

vp21ct
Apprentice

#215 Post by vp21ct »

The Sunrise Lands by SM Stirling

So kickass.

its part of the emberverse, starting with Dies the Fire, Protectors War, and Meeting at Corvalis.

Basic premise/catchprase: What if all the lights went out, forever?

OmegaEffect
Merchant
Location: Probably reading a book... Otherwise, talking on IRC

#216 Post by OmegaEffect »

Silver Seren wrote:Crap, i've got Warriors of Halla on hold at the library, but it says it's going to take 24 days. (;_;) I'm so deprived.
sure that isn't "The Soldiers of Halla" ?
"Should I sign and blindly dance along the piper's tune,
or should I rather trust my inner voice to guide me?"
"Humanitas Cecedi"

Sun-Stealer

#217 Post by Sun-Stealer »

I'm currently wrapping up the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God). It's sci-fi, with a bit of fantasy and even a little horror thrown in. Put simply, one of the best series I've ever read. Takes place in 2600, in a near-ideal future, with humanity split between the bio-tech driven Edenist culture and the mechanical-tech Adamist culture. Basic premise is that a deranged convict has a chance encounter with an incredibly powerful alien entity - and ends up breaking the divide between life and death, unleasing the souls of the dead back into the mortal world. The series mixes intense action, fantastic settings, and even drama/romance. Very diverse cast of characters, from the classical anti-hero starship captain, to a self-proclaimed anti-christ, to historical figures such as Al Capone and Elvis. Also deals with deep issues, such as the nature of existance, what it means to be alive and have a soul, and life/death.

vp21ct wrote:The Sunrise Lands by SM Stirling
Ah, another SM Stirling fan! :grin:
Did you read the Nantucket trilogy before the Emberverse? If you didn't, you definately should, it's the inverse of the Emberverse: the island of nantucket, the focal point of the Event, is sent back to 2000BC. Whereas the Emberverse is about technology fading away, the Nantucketverse is about bringing ancient greece into the industrial revolution. Also, it is referenced just a bit in The Sunrise Lands, towards the end (I won't spoil it, and it doesn't really matter anyway).
However, I still have not read the sequel to The Sunrise Lands (I forget the title). The series is moving away from the real world, and getting into pure fantasy, including demonic possession, warriors chosen by the wiccan gods, and magic swords. What made the Emberverse so interesting was that it reflected the real-world in technology-withdrawal. :|
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain
"It is a fool's perrogative to utter truths that no one else will speak" - Shakespeare

Kraesh
Merchant

#218 Post by Kraesh »

Stephen King's "Skeleton Crew"
Its a collection of 20 of his short stories and so far every one I have read has been amazing, I would recommend this to everyone, as long as you can handle the horror.
Image <-Because that's AWESOME :3
Apparently I survived.

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#219 Post by Holy_458 »

Sun-Stealer wrote:I'm currently wrapping up the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God). It's sci-fi, with a bit of fantasy and even a little horror thrown in. Put simply, one of the best series I've ever read. Takes place in 2600, in a near-ideal future, with humanity split between the bio-tech driven Edenist culture and the mechanical-tech Adamist culture. Basic premise is that a deranged convict has a chance encounter with an incredibly powerful alien entity - and ends up breaking the divide between life and death, unleasing the souls of the dead back into the mortal world. The series mixes intense action, fantastic settings, and even drama/romance. Very diverse cast of characters, from the classical anti-hero starship captain, to a self-proclaimed anti-christ, to historical figures such as Al Capone and Elvis. Also deals with deep issues, such as the nature of existance, what it means to be alive and have a soul, and life/death.

vp21ct wrote:The Sunrise Lands by SM Stirling
Ah, another SM Stirling fan! :grin:
Did you read the Nantucket trilogy before the Emberverse? If you didn't, you definately should, it's the inverse of the Emberverse: the island of nantucket, the focal point of the Event, is sent back to 2000BC. Whereas the Emberverse is about technology fading away, the Nantucketverse is about bringing ancient greece into the industrial revolution. Also, it is referenced just a bit in The Sunrise Lands, towards the end (I won't spoil it, and it doesn't really matter anyway).
However, I still have not read the sequel to The Sunrise Lands (I forget the title). The series is moving away from the real world, and getting into pure fantasy, including demonic possession, warriors chosen by the wiccan gods, and magic swords. What made the Emberverse so interesting was that it reflected the real-world in technology-withdrawal. :|

*head explodes*

Just finished reading Sophie's World for the....third time? I don't know. Very good book about the history of philosophy, and the plot really messes with you.
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

Lithas
Templar

#220 Post by Lithas »

Kraesh wrote:Everything by Stephen King
I would recommend this to everyone.
Fixed. Seriously though, I think the man is a literary genius. I have yet to read anything by him that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.
[Working on making myself a siggy...]

Ask not what your country can do for you. It's broke too.

Scorpio803
Templar

#221 Post by Scorpio803 »

I have to read the heroes trail for honors english. it... sucks. (;_;) Then bless me ultima, which i heard was really weird. (and hell if you don't know spanish) and very far away from anywhere else.

Kraesh
Merchant

#222 Post by Kraesh »

Lithas wrote:
Fixed. Seriously though, I think the man is a literary genius. I have yet to read anything by him that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.
I don't like some of his long novels, and especially bag of bones, just couldn't get into that one.

But yeah, everything else I've read by him is amazing, the short stories just seem to stand out a little better to me.
Apparently I survived.

CrazyWulf
teh forum lolcat

#223 Post by CrazyWulf »

Kraesh wrote:
Lithas wrote:
I don't like some of his long novels, and especially bag of bones, just couldn't get into that one.

But yeah, everything else I've read by him is amazing, the short stories just seem to stand out a little better to me.
This video is relevant.
Lol I just noticed its in spanish x3

Kraesh
Merchant

#224 Post by Kraesh »

CrazyWulf wrote:
Kraesh wrote:
Lithas wrote:

This video is relevant.
Lol I just noticed its in spanish x3
That's cool, I understand bits of it (A LAMP MONSTER! WOOO! OOWOOO!)
Made me laugh! X3
Apparently I survived.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#225 Post by Ryusen »

I just finished Foundation and Empire by Asimov. There were two large holes in my head from where my mind blew.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.