Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Trabian
Templar Master

Rant/Vent/sad thread

#1 Post by Trabian »

Use this thread to post about bad things that happened to you, things you just want to vent or rant about. This is effectively meant as a sort of mirror of the "What made you smile thread."

Instead of people just making seperate threads about stuff that irks them, the thread getting off topic because the the actuall topic has bled to death, and it getting locked, I suggest that people just post here.

Keep things polite, no flaming, no bashing. For the sake of staying 'on topic'- ness I suggest that any actual discussion (imagine that :roll: ) should be kept to an actual thread. Comment or such are

This thread was meant constructively so people could lose steam here so other threads wouldn't suffer from derailment.
Growing old is obligatory,
Growing up is optional.

If Waaagh ain't helpin wif yer problem, you is not using enuf.

- Herbes, Black Orc.

Trabian
Templar Master

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#2 Post by Trabian »

My Brother has autism has some other mental problems as well, meaning that he developed differently and just can't grasp some concepts.

People like my brother are very ego-centric, to them thats normal. He is 14 now, today he threw a temper tantrum like a small child since he has the literal mindset of one. My older brother and mother were able to calm him, while I walked away to calm down myself.

If any normal person had thrown such an egocentric hissy fit, I would have punched them long ago and told them to pay attention to something beyond their tactile sense.
But because of my small brother's problem, he can't help it so it, which leaves me as one-almost-angry person.

/end of vent.
Growing up is optional.

- Herbes, Black Orc.

UncleGrandpa
Apprentice

#3 Post by UncleGrandpa »

Trabian -- sorry to hear about that. Autism is tough to deal with.

We have a daughter who has Asperger's. Autism is a spectrum, from completely disconnected to just slightly geeky. Asperger's is on the "high functioning" side, so we haven't had too much trouble, and she's likely to lead a fairly normal life.

It is, in an unpleasant way, kind of a fascinating disorder. Trabian, you're exactly right, they're quite self-centered. It's almost as if they don't have any interest in human interaction, just like (say) I have no interest in learning to operate a forklift. Echo Fling (her real name!) in her book, "Eating an Artichoke" wrote about how she, when furious at her son, shouted, "Is this a happy face?!?" and her son said, "Well, how would I know?" and implictly, "Why should I care?" She then (when calmer) decided to teach him about expressions; she'd put one on and say, "What am I feeling?" and he'd have to figure it out. He was willing to play for a while, but found it exhausting.

Getting our daughter to care about her friends and family, and to recognize that we all have feelings too, was a challenge, to say the least. My wife is amazingly fantastic.

Another test they've used with autistic kids is to present the following scenario: Fred and John are in a room together. Fred takes a candy bar and puts it into an opaque, closed box, puts it on the table and leaves the room. John takes the candy bar out, eats it, and puts a pen in the box. Fred comes back in.

Then the question is asked, "What does Fred think is in the box?" An autistic kid will say "A pen" because he doesn't really recognize other minds. What he knows is what everyone knows. This isn't reality, of course, so he lives in constant frustration.

Some friends of ours have a very autistic kid, and they've found he loves to run, and they have done a lot with Special Olympics. The dad's comment: "You haven't lived until you've taken twelve autistic kids to a track meet!" Oddly enough, I believe him :-)

So you definitely have my sympathy... it's tough to live with. Don't give up though... amazing things can happen, though it may take a lot more hard work and creativity on the part of your parents. Remember, he's your brother, not your child.
~~~~~~~~
I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cartoon Network "Uncle Grandpa" shows. Didn't even know it existed until today... and I sure wouldn't pick that name now I've seen one of them.
~~~~~~~~

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by SpeedFreak »

Trabian I know how you feel. My sister is on the spectrum too and she does not understand how annoying she is (blasting japanese pop till 1am or later...) and how we dont always want to be with her or how when me and my parents are just talking or argueing she comes up and screams till we stop. You just gotta find a few vents like I have...Personally if im all GRAH because of my sister i go out to my truck and just start working on it till my arms hurt. I'll also play guitar till my fingers hurt...or ill run. Trust me I totally know where you are comming from...my sister is 12 and has the mind of a 4 year old emotionly...she can learn though...almost to well...she only speeks japanese to us now =\.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

Aherdofgoats
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Aherdofgoats »

I got picked last yesterday for dodgeball.

:(

Trabian
Templar Master

#6 Post by Trabian »

SpeedFreak wrote:You just gotta find a few vents like I have..
I did start this thread after the inciden. :wink:

/vent
Forum trolls. People that irritate others just to get attention. As soon as you respond to them or acknowledge, they've won in a certain way. Sure there's the ignore function, but if you try to be serious to new people, you need to figure out if its a complex troll attempt or genuine newbie. In comparison to other forums, this one is relatively troll free, though exceptions do exist.

/end vent
Growing up is optional.

- Herbes, Black Orc.

zhimoda
Ringtail Foxie

#7 Post by zhimoda »

Trabian wrote: /vent
Forum trolls. People that irritate others just to get attention. As soon as you respond to them or acknowledge, they've won in a certain way. Sure there's the ignore function, but if you try to be serious to new people, you need to figure out if its a complex troll attempt or genuine newbie. In comparison to other forums, this one is relatively troll free, though exceptions do exist.
/end vent
Mmmm the spam/troll issues are probably my only problem right now...I just find one liner posts that give nothing to a topic or give any kind of justification or additional information to be an annoying waste, comes across as an attempt to increase post count which is just foolish in my book. It's not as bad as it could be but it's definitely worse than it used to be. Otherwise...life is just dandy ^^

As for autism I can understand how ya probably feel, one of my two nephews has autism. It can be a little hard to get through to him sometimes, and trying to tell him to stop something will wear ya down significantly at times, but all in all he's still one of my favorite family members to be around (just gotta have a lot of patience sometimes). I'm amazed by how much he knows about a subject when it catches his interest, like right now he's hooked on dinosaurs. If you show him a picture he can tell ya what species they are, the scientific name, what period they were around, what their predicted eating habits were...he can go on and on (love to just sit around and watch history/discovery with him). He's by far one of my favorites to be around. I think all in all the tantrums will tend to annoy ya, it's good ya have a way to vent/relax afterward though; I love to listen so if its ever late and ya need someone to bug feel free. ^^

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by SpeedFreak »

Trabian wrote: /vent

/end vent
I am confused....are you saying im being a troll....if I was with that post i did not mean to...I was trying to be helpful.

Woo i got another vent :P

Ok so my birthday is in 2 weeks exactly...The few things I have asked for...all have been no...and for the dumbest reasons. I wanted some stuff from Fox Racing (hats and jeans and stuff) but my parents said no because I don't NEED Fox racing jeans and stuff. Then i asked for driving shoes (race shoes) and thats a no cause I don't have my licence and have no reason to have them (there wider so there helpful when heal toe shifting.) Then I asked for a racing wheel...that I honestly have no need for at all and would kill the horn on my truck...but i still REALLY want it...that was a no...Short throw shifter...no....new cell...no. A new guitar...they said yes to...but i really do not want a new one right now since i would not be able to get the one i would like to have I am almost ready to give up and go forget it. They don't want to do anything anywase. RAH! I am getting annoyd. All i can think of asking for is a drive...a LONG 500 mile drive...which will end up being more expencive then anything else since i have to fill up every 200 miles and I would go off road and prob blow out a tire or kill the transmission. And the most annoying think...my brothers have asked for stupid stuff for there birthday...and they got it.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Ryusen »

Although no one in my immediate family has autism, a younger cousin as well as a good friend both have mild cases. You can tell they're not quite all together, but they still function fairly well. My friend is currently in college seeking a degree, and my cousin is still making his way through high school. I've known them both for quite some time, and I think it's interesting the way they've acted and responded to the same stimuli. While one tries overcome any obstacle to beat his handicap (to which I admire to no end), the other seems to ignore it entirely. The entire family, in fact, just seems to ignore the evidence right in front of them. Not that it's a horrible thing -- it's a light case -- but simply that they prefer to ignore it's existence than to face the problems lying right in front of them.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

John_and_Yoko
Templar Master

#10 Post by John_and_Yoko »

I have Asperger's Syndrome myself, and while I'm high functioning, I still have difficulty understanding how people are able to think differently from me. In particular, people whose thinking is 180 degrees away from mine--how do you understand someone like that, and therefore how do you deal with them?

But just as hard (sometimes harder) is being unable to use words to say how I'm feeling. Sometimes I think it should be obvious to others, but it isn't. Sometimes I just can't come up with the words--I understand how I'm feeling on an intuitive level, but I can't explain it in words so others can understand. And when they're TRYING to understand, I can feel the pressure being put on me and that makes it worse.

As for spammers, on another forum I'm on there's some jerk who keeps posting the same thing in one of the threads (not a bot), and it hasn't been addressed yet. I really hate that.

Kilroywuzheere
All that and a side of fries

#11 Post by Kilroywuzheere »

BLARG! I'm on the damn steroids to help my Crohn's flare up, which screw up my immune system somewhat. It's not too horrible, it just makes a simple cold more complicated. A stuffed up nose evolves into clogged up lungs. Which I currently have... Not too horrible, it's getting better, but I know I'd have been over it a few days ago without the drugs. No, that's not bothering me. What's bothering me is that three weeks after getting back on the steroids, and MY CROHN'S IS STILL CAUSING ME PAIN! I was supposed to start tapering off over a week ago, but NO! I have to wait ANOTHER TWO WEEKS before I can even think about starting. And that's if it doesn't cause me anymore pain after today.

Bleck.
ImageImageImageImage

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#12 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

So like, there was this rant thread.

And reading it made me sad.

That's all.
VERY, GOOD

LivingontheEdge
New Citizen

#13 Post by LivingontheEdge »

It's not as bad as the other things on this thread, but I overslept today and therefore missed a fun beach party. I'm pretty bummed out about it. Ah well, I'll be over it by next weekend..

Garrett
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Garrett »

A public forum is not a place for you to state that you wish to harm and/or kill other people. Post deleted, do not post about such a subject again. ~Yash

John_and_Yoko
Templar Master

#15 Post by John_and_Yoko »

I know what you said, but you're scaring me....