Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#21721 Post by tony1695 »

Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:45 am
tony1695 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 am
Sage Asuka wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 am I...guess I'm no longer employed. They had me help out with a 500+ kid event then apparently kicked me from all their things during and when I went back told me I was being laid off effective immediately. Only answer they would give was that I wasn't a good fit for the team. I know it's a retail job but I've been with them 6 months and I thought things were going okay.

So now my parents won't let me be alone longer than 5 minutes and keep demanding I apply for every job they find. Keep in mind I was fired today and my parents started harassing me literally 20 minutes after it happened.

I'm not sure what to do since I have bills to pay and am sick with a cold on top of it. This was my first job and I've never been fired before.
Sounds like unfair dismissal to me.
Call Head Office, or someone else up the chain. Ask them for answers. Could be the guy who fired you did it for petty reasons. Or downright illegal ones.
Sorry, but I'd say not worth it.
I never said take it to the point of legal proceedings. Just ask.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21722 Post by Dadrobit »

Warrl wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:12 am
** I got permission from my immediate supervisor to drink 5 Hour Energies from my till stall when I needed a boost and pay for them on my break. The store director caught me and doing it after a few months of it and fired me on the spot for "theft". It was [censored], but I wasn't alone. I came back two weeks later for my final paycheck and half the store had been fired or transferred for [censored] reasons. Screw 'em, security payed twice as good anyways!
I think you'll get a kick out of this story.

My son-in-law was working night shift at a store of a national chain of copy centers. He was alone in the store. Some guy he didn't recognize came in and spent some time trying to persuade him to help alter the amount of a check. Promised to split the proceeds with him. Eventually the guy gave up and left... and my son-in-law called the cops. This being in a rather peaceful suburb, and long after the bars closed, the local cops were bored. He gave them the security tape as evidence.

The next day he learned that the company's regional head of loss prevention had been arrested and was being held pending federal investigation for alleged bank fraud, for attempting to have a check altered and possibly also for creating a fake check. Guess where this attempt had taken place.
Whooo boy! Good on your son-in-law! Love it! :mrgrin:
tony1695 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:16 am
Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:45 am
tony1695 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 am
Sage Asuka wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 am I...guess I'm no longer employed. They had me help out with a 500+ kid event then apparently kicked me from all their things during and when I went back told me I was being laid off effective immediately. Only answer they would give was that I wasn't a good fit for the team. I know it's a retail job but I've been with them 6 months and I thought things were going okay.

So now my parents won't let me be alone longer than 5 minutes and keep demanding I apply for every job they find. Keep in mind I was fired today and my parents started harassing me literally 20 minutes after it happened.

I'm not sure what to do since I have bills to pay and am sick with a cold on top of it. This was my first job and I've never been fired before.
Sounds like unfair dismissal to me.
Call Head Office, or someone else up the chain. Ask them for answers. Could be the guy who fired you did it for petty reasons. Or downright illegal ones.
Sorry, but I'd say not worth it.
I never said take it to the point of legal proceedings. Just ask.
Truth be told, if she just kindly asks then they're just gonna double down on what they've already told her about not being a good fit for the team and/or come up with any number of PC excuses that mean little to nothing. If she's lucky, they'll tell her how she can "improve" at her next job. And if she presses the issue far enough that she gets her job back, chances are that more than a few people aren't gonna be happy about how hard the boat got rocked and she'll be potentially working in a toxic environment.

Retail turnover rates are ridiculously high, it's not just you and there's not a ton you can really do about it, it's just the nature of the industry...

Onwards and upwards, Sage! :mrgrin:

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#21723 Post by Sage Asuka »

ty for the words. Like I know retail is high turnover but it's still...depressing in a way because my situation all around is less than ideal. I have a ton of bills and student loans that just started (and they're aware of this) and I was told that no one I befriended really thought I worked well there. Could be true, could be false. Either way they were a crowd I don't intentionally socialize with. Heck, before I got laid off a coworker got pissed at me for explaining Paw Patrol characters (I work at a toy store and said event was Paw Patrol themed) and she shot back about how she's an adult and doesn't have time for kid things. I'm an animator and being knowledgeable in kid shows/games is a thing I have to do.

And I'm getting off on a tangent but...long story short first 'real' job and I get laid off for not being a good teammate when my entire ideal career will involve working in teams. Makes me question if I really am a bad person to work with, but of course they won't give me legit reasons if I ask. And my parents have been nonstop throwing me job applications (within the hour I GOT laid off btw) and are demanding I apply to each one regardless of what it is. I'm being given 2 weeks to find something before they start doing things like sell my car. And I'm not allowed to be sad. First hour, sure I could cry. After that 'being sad won't solve anything' and they pushed. And my parents wonder why I currently struggle with experiencing any emotions in a healthy way.
Image Image Image Image

Tetrahedron
Merchant

#21724 Post by Tetrahedron »

Hello Sage,

may sound stupid, but really try to get one of those jobs. I was unemployed myself a year ago. And I waited much too long to for a new job. Ok, sometimes because some companies did things like: Yeah, maybe you cann get the job, but boss is not here, please wait. After weeks: uhh, there is no job it was an error...
Ok, I have the luxury to live in a european coutry, and you get a lot of money from the health andbe welfare system, but still...
Try it! I think you' ll do fine! And do not think too much about your last job. Do not fall into inactivity, like i did nearly. This can push you right into depression!

So, my rant:
Was at home at my parents. They hadd a problem with their prepaid mobile. They needed three times the money they normally need in a month in just a week. So i guessed, maybe they have the wrong tariff. So lets check online. Well they forgot the password. Because the password i made for them is strong, but it sucks because it is not easy and that is my fault. So I asked were the piece of paper is, where i noticed it, and gave them to ceep it anywhere save. Well, they lost it. But passwords
suck anyway. Sorry, this so annoying...

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21725 Post by Warrl »

Tetrahedron wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:11 amSo, my rant:
Was at home at my parents. They hadd a problem with their prepaid mobile. They needed three times the money they normally need in a month in just a week. So i guessed, maybe they have the wrong tariff. So lets check online. Well they forgot the password. Because the password i made for them is strong, but it sucks because it is not easy and that is my fault. So I asked were the piece of paper is, where i noticed it, and gave them to ceep it anywhere save. Well, they lost it. But passwords suck anyway. Sorry, this so annoying...
Password managers are great! I use lastpass but it isn't the only one.

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#21726 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Had a flat tire on the way home from work today.

Had to put my old winter wheels on the rear axle as a temporary measure
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#21727 Post by SirJahar »

I keep looking for work, and I keep not getting called back. And the few callbacks I do get, go nowhere.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21728 Post by Bellhead »

I had to quit my first job just under two weeks ago Saturday, on account of what my manager said to me. It was a damn shame, too.. I really liked the work there.

The way Valvolines are set up, there is an oil change pit for each bay, and under each one there is a raised catwalk with stairs toward the others. When I'm downstairs and we get busy, I'm the one sprinting over the catwalks to get to cars on time, so people aren't waiting for me. Then, when I get to one, during a rush, no less, he says I have "tight buns". Meant in jest, and I knew it, but that... No. Not when I'm that worked up already. My last day is this Saturday, two weeks to the day. I already have another job lined up, but it's still sad. I'll miss that place, and most of the people there as well.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21729 Post by Dadrobit »

My little brother cut his ponytail and shaved his goatee. Now he looks all upstanding and [censored]....

Sad days...

NuclearBird
Master

#21730 Post by NuclearBird »

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 am My little brother cut his ponytail and shaved his goatee. Now he looks all upstanding and [censored]....

Sad days...
Let me guess, he also started wearing glasses, and he's now diligent in his studies.
Now that I think about it, that would be a disturbing transformation.
If the universe is infinite, does that mean that there is a version of me out there who's thinking the exact same thing?

While we're on the topic of alternate universes, is there one where I'm a lawyer? If yes, then I may be more evil than I thought.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21731 Post by Dadrobit »

NuclearBird wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 pm
Dadrobit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 am My little brother cut his ponytail and shaved his goatee. Now he looks all upstanding and [censored]....

Sad days...
Let me guess, he also started wearing glasses, and he's now diligent in his studies.
Naw, he's always worn glasses and been a decent student, but now he's trying to become a salesman for this mega corporation, (Amway) that's ensnared him over the last month or two with promises of riches beyond his wildest dreams. Dude's gonna get fleeced by these guys, but he's so in deep with them now after going to several of their rallies and now even trying to emulate how they look that he doesn't see anything but the carrot at the end of their stick.

Amway's a damned pyramid cult, but he's so enraptured by their indoctrination that half of the family has just agreed to stop trying to make him see reason and let him fail until he sees it for himself.

It very literally has been a disturbing transformation to see him fall to their schemes. He doesn't talk about pretty much anything else and the way he pitches it is like a door to door Mormon. Not cool coming from the guy you grew up with who was always about independent badassery...

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#21732 Post by SirSlaughter »

Dadrobit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 pm
NuclearBird wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Sad days...
Naw, he's always worn glasses and been a decent student, but now he's trying to become a salesman for this mega corporation, (Amway) that's ensnared him over the last month or two with promises of riches beyond his wildest dreams. Dude's gonna get fleeced by these guys, but he's so in deep with them now after going to several of their rallies and now even trying to emulate how they look that he doesn't see anything but the carrot at the end of their stick.

Amway's a damned pyramid cult, but he's so enraptured by their indoctrination that half of the family has just agreed to stop trying to make him see reason and let him fail until he sees it for himself.

It very literally has been a disturbing transformation to see him fall to their schemes. He doesn't talk about pretty much anything else and the way he pitches it is like a door to door Mormon. Not cool coming from the guy you grew up with who was always about independent badassery...

DUDE TELL HIM TO GET OUT OF THERE AND ESCAPE!

My parents went with the whole AMWAY thing as well. Granted they didn't do the full balls deep approach like your bro seems to be doing, but after shipping and taxes and the way that the pyramid system works, he's gonna get so shafted. Tell him if he wants money go sell cocaine or cars. Much more legit than AMWAY.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21733 Post by Dadrobit »

SirSlaughter wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 pm
DUDE TELL HIM TO GET OUT OF THERE AND ESCAPE!

My parents went with the whole AMWAY thing as well. Granted they didn't do the full balls deep approach like your bro seems to be doing, but after shipping and taxes and the way that the pyramid system works, he's gonna get so shafted. Tell him if he wants money go sell cocaine or cars. Much more legit than AMWAY.
Trust me, we've thrown ourselves at him as hard as we can. Even his biological father got scammed hard by them and lost almost everything and still he doesn't come around. He's got this "I can do it against all the odds" mentality, so that even knowing it's a one in a million shot at actually being successful, he won't back down from this [censored].

We live in AZ, and they have him attending these rallies in Oregon and Washington and Nevada and Texas and they keep egging him on with their promises of fortune. All he has to do is follow their plan to success which includes but is not limited to starting out by spending ~at least~ $100 a month on their products for himself and subscribing to their internal communication apps for another ~at least~ $150 a month. He's convinced he'll be able to make it up and more by selling to family, (all of whom have sworn not to buy from him) and by recruiting underlings for his own part of the pyramid cult.

How he doesn't see through this crap is beyond me man...

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#21734 Post by anonfox123 »

A relatively minor problem compared to some here, but all night in Overwatch I've either been disconnected seconds away from winning, or got stomped hard by hilariously imbalanced matchmaking. I'm not quite mad, but I'm the closest I can get without actually being mad.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#21735 Post by SirJahar »

Remeber a few weeks ago when I said I couldn't find a job? Now I have one and on my second week I have to call on sick.