Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#21691 Post by Foxx Trotter »

It seems that a comic convention was a bit more lively this weekend, which could most likely affect rules and regulations of other conventions forthcoming throughout the country. Leave it to someone to make a mess of things and inconvenience those who want to have a fun time. :( Nonetheless, the safety of staff, vendors and attendees is of utmost importance which most will understand and respect.
Videre videnda.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21692 Post by Dadrobit »

Foxx Trotter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 5:12 am It seems that a comic convention was a bit more lively this weekend, which could most likely affect rules and regulations of other conventions forthcoming throughout the country. Leave it to someone to make a mess of things and inconvenience those who want to have a fun time. :( Nonetheless, the safety of staff, vendors and attendees is of utmost importance which most will understand and respect.
Yep, I actually posted about that over in the smile thread a few days back. I attended that con all four days. (it was awesome btw)

Speaking of respect, one of the vendors decided they wanted to drum up some drama over the whole thing. A group called UltraSabers was selling custom ($400+) lightsabers, but due to the restrictions, had to bag them for customers instead of letting them play with them out in the halls. UltraSabers didn't like that they had to "put their custom lightsabers in trash bags," and didn't send a representative to a mandatory meeting for all exhibitors on the topic of restrictions. When approached by convention staff Friday night, evidently they became combative over lost sales from improper representation and lower traffic and had to eventually be ejected from the convention with direct oversight from the police. Comicon asserts they were issued a refund.

The next day, members from UltraSabers started placing thouasnds of flyers on peoples windshields in the nearby parking venues and spread out through the convention halls asserting that they were kicked out unfairly because convention staff didn't like their tone, and that they were never given a refund on their booth, going on to warn others that they may be unfairly kicked out from the con as well. Those guys too were eventually kicked out.

If you ask me, I'd say it was just drama for the Hell of it to draw some extra attention to themselves. I'd wager they'll drop the whole "we never got the refund" pretty quick under any real pressure and sub it for, "oh, we weren't properly informed of the transaction."

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#21693 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Dadrobit wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 am Yep, I actually posted about that over in the smile thread a few days back. I attended that con all four days. (it was awesome btw)

Speaking of respect, one of the vendors decided they wanted to drum up some drama over the whole thing. A group called UltraSabers was selling custom ($400+) lightsabers, but due to the restrictions, had to bag them for customers instead of letting them play with them out in the halls. UltraSabers didn't like that they had to "put their custom lightsabers in trash bags," and didn't send a representative to a mandatory meeting for all exhibitors on the topic of restrictions. When approached by convention staff Friday night, evidently they became combative over lost sales from improper representation and lower traffic and had to eventually be ejected from the convention with direct oversight from the police. Comicon asserts they were issued a refund.

The next day, members from UltraSabers started placing thousands of flyers on peoples windshields in the nearby parking venues and spread out through the convention halls asserting that they were kicked out unfairly because convention staff didn't like their tone, and that they were never given a refund on their booth, going on to warn others that they may be unfairly kicked out from the con as well. Those guys too were eventually kicked out.

If you ask me, I'd say it was just drama for the Hell of it to draw some extra attention to themselves. I'd wager they'll drop the whole "we never got the refund" pretty quick under any real pressure and sub it for, "oh, we weren't properly informed of the transaction."
Yeah, I noticed that part in summary from another news article.

Animazement took place here in Raleigh this past weekend as well, which I assume went without a hitch. I've never been to it myself. Working two jobs over the past couple years doesn't give me much free time for anything nowadays. S:P HeroesCon happens down in Charlotte in two weeks and the inaugural Supercon in Raleigh upcoming in mid-July. I most likely expect heightened security at both events. I'm hoping to attend at least one day of Supercon. Anyway, this episode is going to make things interesting at other conventions down the road.
Videre videnda.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21694 Post by Warrl »

And MisCon was in Missoula. I went to a lot of writing panels. The first page of a story I'm writing was the ONLY first page - out of somewhere around 20 - that got read aloud all the way through without a single one of the four editors on the panel raising a hand to indicate they would have already stopped and rejected it. This is only the second time I've put my work into such a situation, and I really wasn't expecting to do that well.

The disadvantage of doing that well, of course, is that if the editors don't reject it, they don't tell you WHY they reject it. Everyone else who submitted something, got at least two brief critiques of what they needed to work on to make their writing - that piece specifically, or in general, or both - better.

In compensation, I get to brag. :mrgreen:

(The rules of the panel only allowed first pages, and the reading continues until two of the four judges reject. Or, rarely, the bottom of the page. It's a very educational exercise. The lady who was doing the reading-aloud this time said that the first time she submitted her work in such a panel, several years earlier, her first page had landed near the bottom of the pile and by the time it was read she had a prediction for which editors would reject, at what point, and why - and her prediction was correct.)

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#21695 Post by Foxx Trotter »

HeroesCon is this weekend in Charlotte. Unfortunately, due to work, I won't be going. This has been the case for the past few years. :(
Videre videnda.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21696 Post by Dadrobit »

Summer is officially here.

Forecasts of up to 121° in the next two weeks and the newspapers are already tallying up heat related deaths on the front page...

FerrusFerret
Grand Templar

#21697 Post by FerrusFerret »

I have the flu, a -280$ balance on my bank account, and an empty stomach. I get paid on the 21st, but depending on how much work I miss from being sick, I won't break even on the debt I went into to afford the doctor and medications.
Current Game: >Gyromancer<

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21698 Post by Dadrobit »

It's hot. Like really friggin hot. It's 8:30pm, the sun is down, and it's still 112°... Ughhhhh...
phpBB [video]

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#21699 Post by SirSlaughter »

Dadrobit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 am It's hot. Like really friggin hot. It's 8:30pm, the sun is down, and it's still 112°... Ughhhhh...
phpBB [video]
Oh god no, that poor lambo is gonna smell of cookies forever! Normally not bad, but at some point it's gonna get obnoxious smelling that when you drive.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#21700 Post by TinyVoices »

Not in response to anything.

But I will say that it really is dumb when coworkers want to be friends, and put in the effort to start conversations, but don't want to put in the effort to listen or respond effectively. Why ask for something about me, but have your eyes glaze over and then cut me off half sentence when I respond?

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#21701 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Recieved the replacement used tailgate for my car yesterday, which came with the rear window included.

Though, the window arrived in puzzle form:
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21702 Post by Dadrobit »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 am Though, the window arrived in puzzle form:
I laughed and I'm sorry. Replacement/Refund inbound?

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#21703 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Dadrobit wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:31 pm
Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 am Though, the window arrived in puzzle form:
I laughed and I'm sorry. Replacement/Refund inbound?
I wrote them today, So I'll hear back from them next week. Actually I don't even need a new window, I bought that thing because the old tailgate is so rusty. But it would have been nice to avoid having to swap the window over
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

GyroFox
Apprentice

#21704 Post by GyroFox »

I'm getting bored :evil:

:potatoes: :potatoes: :natani: :potatoes: :potatoes:

Don't be silly, bullying sucks 8)

TorqueEffect
Apprentice

#21705 Post by TorqueEffect »

Basically feeling like my heart was ripped out, and just feel sick to my stomach.

After learning some of the finer details of the comic, that aren't explained at all in the comic itself.

I just can't get behind the whole Mask/Demigod thing. Basically trivializing the world to a point where none of it really matters since it's just a game where our favorite characters are just pawns in that game, and that the races didn't originate through natural evolution, but were only created a few thousand years before the start of the comic.

I am trying to look on the positive side, as at least these mask and gods haven't been mentioned in the comic in over 10 years, so I can only hope this is a way Tom is writing them out of the story.

Still completely frustrated that while implied in the comic, that Flora's pregnancy is nothing more than a god saying "Yeah, i'll allow it."