Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

ToastWithJam
New Citizen

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#21661 Post by ToastWithJam »

Dadrobit wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 am I love my classes, I really do. But for [censored] sake, I hate the equipment.

I have been having issues with the Mac workstation this entire friggin' semester. Constant crashing of programs, programs not functioning properly, and data corruption has legitimately hurt my grades from having to recreate days and sometimes weeks worth of progress halfway through deadlines due to these problems.

The whole time the excuse has been that, "because these computers are brand new this semester, they still have to iron out all the new computer compatibility kinks that sometimes create problems with these programs."

Well finally today, they figured out the core issue that I've been struggling with this entire time. When ProTools crashed, (again) for whatever reason, every file down two levels deep across the entire computer lost its name as well. The files are still there, they are just completely nameless. Resetting had no effect.

"You know what Dadrobit? I think it's just the computer at this point. We're going to have to replace this workstation ASAP."

Well that woulda' been real [censored]' useful a few weeks ago when data loss [censored] me to the point that I straight up couldn't finish half of a month long project that failed on me and got me a [censored] grade there because of it!

Really really legitimately pissed about this.
Have you considered backing up critical files to a flash drive or cloud server as you go?

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21662 Post by Dadrobit »

ToastWithJam wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:54 pm Have you considered backing up critical files to a flash drive or cloud server as you go?
I do actually, but there are problems there.

The computers aren't connected to the internet and the lab has a ban on hooking up outside equipment like flash drives to prevent malware from getting into their system as that's the reason they had to get these new computers in the first place.

So the only reason I did have some data to work with was because I did back up my files to a flash drive on the sly, but I couldn't sneak it consistently enough to save everything.

ToastWithJam
New Citizen

#21663 Post by ToastWithJam »

Dadrobit wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am
ToastWithJam wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:54 pm Have you considered backing up critical files to a flash drive or cloud server as you go?
I do actually, but there are problems there.

The computers aren't connected to the internet and the lab has a ban on hooking up outside equipment like flash drives to prevent malware from getting into their system as that's the reason they had to get these new computers in the first place.

So the only reason I did have some data to work with was because I did back up my files to a flash drive on the sly, but I couldn't sneak it consistently enough to save everything.
Well geez that's just asking for trouble. Would it kill them to install basic anti-malware software instead? Loads of free programs out there.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#21664 Post by Kellard »

There is not a single place I can go to in which I feel comfortable... Leaving things unexplained I'll just say that this can turn into quite the problematic for me. I don't want to [censored] be anywhere. I don't want to move, I feel terrible.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21665 Post by Warrl »

ThunderVolt wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 am So I got a new computer. Epic! Yay!

Ten minutes in to setting it up, I try to go to my settings and it hangs upon changing a few things, so I have to force shut it down.

The problem?

Windows 10, the beast that it is, automatically runs CHKDSK (Check Disk) upon booting after force shutting it down.

And it takes an ETERNITY.

According to the articles I read, it can take from HALF A DAY to TWO DAYS for CHKDSK to finish, and even then, CHKDSK can fail.

So... first day with my new computer... not so great.
Yuck. One of the nice things about Linux is that the equivalent of CHKDSK (without a surface scan) takes about 15 seconds.

Thing is, though... CHKDSK (without surface scan) on NTFS shouldn't take that long either.

See if some idiot set your system up with FAT partitions. Nowadays, using FAT (any variant) is okay on floppies, excusable on SD cards and thumb drives only because some systems won't recognize any other file system in those contexts*, and absurdly stupid on hard drives.

* I'm kind of ticked at my Android phone and tablet because the file system format that is used for all their built-in storage is not recognized on their microSD cards.

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#21666 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Not possible. Windows has not supported FAT32 for system partitions for years now
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Samantaz
Master

#21667 Post by Samantaz »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 am Not possible. Windows has not supported FAT32 for system partitions for years now
Warrl never said anything about FAT system partition. He only said it was stupid to use on hard drives.
ThunderVolt wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 am Windows 10, the beast that it is, automatically runs CHKDSK (Check Disk) upon booting after force shutting it down.

And it takes an ETERNITY.
Uh, ya know that pressing "ctrl" and "C" together cancels disk checking ?
I'm not saying that i'm Batman, But nobody saw Batman and me together.

Furcode : FCF3a A C- D+++ H++ P- R- T++ W-- Sf- RLTI a- cl++ e++ f- h** iw+++ j- p-- sm-
Awesome avatar by Kiabugboy

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#21668 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Gander Mountain is going out of business. :( Luckily, there is both a Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's nearby here as well as Great Outdoor Provision Company and REI...so still plenty to choose from. I only went to Gander Mountain for many outdoor items because it was more convenient to where I live.
Videre videnda.

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

#21669 Post by Cyon »

Warrl wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 2:17 amYuck. One of the nice things about Linux is that the equivalent of CHKDSK (without a surface scan) takes about 15 seconds.

Thing is, though... CHKDSK (without surface scan) on NTFS shouldn't take that long either.

See if some idiot set your system up with FAT partitions. Nowadays, using FAT (any variant) is okay on floppies, excusable on SD cards and thumb drives only because some systems won't recognize any other file system in those contexts*, and absurdly stupid on hard drives.

* I'm kind of ticked at my Android phone and tablet because the file system format that is used for all their built-in storage is not recognized on their microSD cards.
Will agree with you there, I run Linux on my main system. The only problem I have ever had is game compatibility, and even then I still play all of my favourite titles on here.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

Kellard
Templar Master

#21670 Post by Kellard »

Well I'll be [censored]. I hate my school so much. I was told that if I don't get a buzzcut by tomorrow I won't be allowed to get in. Which is straight up [censored] retarded. Why on earth does there need to be a rule about hair leght? Just WHY? They keep pulling [censored] excuses like "It's a rule and rules are intended to maintain order. I guess if you to the bank you'll just skip the line because you don't care about the rules?" No, [censored], while rules are meant to maintain order there also are rules that are utterly useless. The reason for making a line at the bank is because someone else arrived first and thus has been waiting longer than you, and it also serves to keep better track of who's going up next and who goes where. It's a behavior inbeeded in humans. Now, what the [censored] kind of purpose does having short hair in school because you're a male serve for? Absolutely nothing relevant. It's aesthetic and by all means should only be controlled by the person, thus making it something personal as well. Each person has their preferences, so I'm basically being bothered by these archaic standards because I like long hair.
I [censored] hate that society forcefully wants to drag everyone to a fixed spot and not let them out of there. There are limits that people should know out of rational thought, true, buy I am in no way near that point.

Tldr: Hair lenght rules are dumb because I should be the one to decide MY image, not some [censored] who thinks all men need to have short hair.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21671 Post by Dadrobit »

Tyten wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:06 pm all men need to have short hair.
Private school?

Kellard
Templar Master

#21672 Post by Kellard »

Dadrobit wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am
Tyten wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:06 pm all men need to have short hair.
Private school?
Yeah.

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#21673 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Are such rules even legal?
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21674 Post by Dadrobit »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:07 pm Are such rules even legal?
In the private sector? You betcha!

It's all about marketing friend. If the students at least look, (to be what is commonly considered) intelligent, then they can sell their wares to other families. The kids are turned into professional looking billboards for the school for a chance to sell a "better" education to privileged families who likely would have had their child be as or even more successful anyways in the public sector due to their better initial socio-economic​ status.

Kellard
Templar Master

#21675 Post by Kellard »

Yeah... Part of getting in was agreeing to their terms. The thing is that I DID NOT do that. Since I am 16 years old I legally am under the custody of my parents, and that's what my mom says to excuse not taking desicions with my consent. Of course this is the only kind of decision that she's taken for me- getting me into a school with those rules- but it bothers me greatly, as has it for my entire life. Never did I like short hair, in fact, I've always hated it.
So I have virtually no control over this, which is the most frustrating part. I cannot do jack [censored] to change this, and have no other options.