Rant/Vent/sad thread

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

asphere8
Master

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#19951 Post by asphere8 »

Bellhead wrote:So I have this file. It's a .zip, and I stored it in a very specific location. D:\Users\<username>\appdata\... I used Vista from another partition to put it there. And yes, 8.1 sees it as D.

However, when I browse to it, the folder "appdata" isn't even there. Nor is it when I search for it. Nor is it when I show hidden files/folders. The only way to see it is to manually type in the path. And this is not the first time this has happened.

At least I can update to 10 at some point soon...
If you hit the Windows key and the letter R at the same time on your keyboard, the "Run" window will pop up. Just type in %appdata%, and the folder will open immediately.

And I can't recommend "upgrading" to Windows 10 for a while. A lot of people are having serious problems with it, its default error message is one of the least helpful messages I've ever seen ("something happened: something happened"), and it's got even worse compatibility issues than Win8 had.

SperoWolf wrote:My internet's getting disconnected tonight, for who knows how long. So I guess this is pretty much goodbye
ISP's fault?
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#19952 Post by Bellhead »

asphere8 wrote:
Bellhead wrote:However, when I browse to it, the folder "appdata" isn't even there. Nor is it when I search for it. Nor is it when I show hidden files/folders. The only way to see it is to manually type in the path. And this is not the first time this has happened..
If you hit the Windows key and the letter R at the same time on your keyboard, the "Run" window will pop up. Just type in %appdata%, and the folder will open immediately.
The problem is not that I can't get to it. The problem is that it's not there when I browse to it, even when it's not on the partition I'm currently booted to.

EDIT: Gods damn Windows to the pits of Hell. I cannot believe this.
My background was black because it was hidden, because Windows was set to hide it. Wh in Hell makes a setting that does THAT? Now for finding that background I used when I first loaded it...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

bond84
Stick Animator

#19953 Post by bond84 »

I have a rare and, if continued, dramatic neurological effect against Vyvance. Which means I can't take it and and get something new, until the 6th.
Which Also means my ability to focus on art is shot for the moment. It's a really weird feeling.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#19954 Post by Schrodinger »

The state of the current presidential candidacy is making me seriously consider a friends offer to live with him. In Germany.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19955 Post by Bellhead »

Windows 10 updated, and rebooted itself three times, getting the error INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I did a system restore, but it failed, so now I'm back to Vista.

Hopefully, using this old of an OS will teach 10 not to do this. It worked with 8.1, anyway.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#19956 Post by nsamok6620 »

So as a graduation gift (that I have to eventually cover half the cost since it was really expensive) my dad bought me the pistol that I have been wanting since the first time I watched Ghost in the Shell when I was a kid. The character Togusa sidearm is a Mateba 2007, which is a fictional future version of the real 2006m. That isn't the one I got because there are only two in the US. The one I have is actually much more interesting, it is the Unica 6 auto-revolver. (look it up, its super cool to watch in slow-motion) The one I got has a threaded barrel meant for a compensator, but instead it just has a thread protector.

Well I just found someone selling a compensator. I should be happy right? Well it is an auction. I have never done that. It is starting at $100, I'd buy it right now for that price. But the same guys is selling the tool that removes the barrel so you can put a different length one on. It started at $50, after one bid it is at $205. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars for this thing, I could have a copy made for that much, but at the same time I do want an original one.

Why couldn't it just be "buy it now"???

By the way, this is what it looks like, but mine just has a half inch cylinder at the end of the barrel instead of what this one has. That is the part I want to buy. http://matebafan.com/unica/photo2large.jpg
Check out secretstageproductions.com
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
___━━____━━|:::::: ^━━━^
___━━____━━|::::::|=◕w◕=|
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#19957 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

So, I got back from the week-long convention I was at last Saturday, and ever since then, my laptop, at least the internet/Chrome, has been running a lot slower than it normally does. ex. just about every other time I load/refresh a page (or anything one it) or open a new tab, Chrome goes to "not responding," pages and videos load a lot slower in general, videos on Youtube will cause the page/video to freeze, but the audio will still play and I can't pause/close it, etc. I also am getting an above-average number/severity of lag spikes in my games. I ran disk cleanup multiple times, and scanned for malware/viruses with a reputable engine, and everything came up clean. This just started happening out of the blue, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I leave it for ONE WEEK, and this is what I get for it :/ No, I didn't take my laptop with me. I have noticed that when Chrome freezes, it seems to be on "waiting for cache" more often than not, if that has any relevance.
what are paragraphs
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19958 Post by Bellhead »

TheFrozenSlime wrote:snip
Waiting for cache, you say? Windows or mac?

I've had issues similar in the past. Not the exact same, I'll admit, but the same solution might work. Open the Task Manager or equivilant, and sort all processes by memory usage. If there's an abnormally high usage, over... 25,000 k on my old OS, I think it was, that's not Chrome or Flash, close it.

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#19959 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Windows 7. The only processes above 25,000 are Chrome, Skype, Desktop Window Manager, and Windows Explorer, with Rainmeter hovering around 17,000.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Self-Proclaimed

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19960 Post by Bellhead »

Then I don't really know what to do. I'd recommend a hard restart, but something tells me you've already done that.

In other news, my ancient Kenmore box fan doesn't like blown-in insulation, and I forgot to bring oil for it.
Imagine an attic space, insulated from the house of course, with dark shingles above, no temperature-sensitive fan, on an 80-degree sunny day. Naturally, when work needed to be done up there, I brought the Kenmore. It helped quite a bit, not suprisingly. This fan is somewhere near 2 feet across with metal blades. I often compare it to an old automotive radiator fan with a wire grate on each side. Only thing is, once in a while, it needs oil, on account of that blade is heavy enough to do serious harm, and it's over 30 years old.

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#19961 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

[censored] Blue Screen of Death RKO'd me outta nowhere and scared the living [censored] outta me. Just sitting there watching anime (for the first time), the video slows down to like 0.125% of normal speed, goes back to normal, and two seconds later BAM- blue screen. I didn't lose anything, though. Thank God. I survived the Blue Screen of Death.
Self-Proclaimed

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#19962 Post by Bachaddict »

No Twokinds, no DMFA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
TheFrozenSlime wrote:Windows 7. The only processes above 25,000 are Chrome, Skype, Desktop Window Manager, and Windows Explorer, with Rainmeter hovering around 17,000.
What about when showing processes from all users?
|This box is too sm|

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#19963 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Bachaddict wrote:
TheFrozenSlime wrote:Windows 7. The only processes above 25,000 are Chrome, Skype, Desktop Window Manager, and Windows Explorer, with Rainmeter hovering around 17,000.
What about when showing processes from all users?
svchost.exe and MsMpEng.exe, a couple of System programs, are the only new ones above 25,000.
Self-Proclaimed

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#19964 Post by Bellhead »

TheFrozenSlime wrote:svchost.exe and MsMpEng.exe, a couple of System programs, are the only new ones above 25,000.
If that service host is using drastically more than the other service hosts of the same name, close it and see what happens. Worst case, you computer will reboot.

And suddenly have so many ads that I can't even see the page I'm on, forums included. Defender didn't help, and Avast has yet to. Ad blocker is useless as well. So much for a new OS.

EDIT: Resolved. Avast had not yet done a full boot scan, and Defender just doesn't have the capacity to do that. It was something called offerswizard.exe or something, and a whole ton of temp files, all of which I have deleted. What's the point of malware and viruses in the first place, anyway?

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#19965 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Oh, hey, I BlueScreen'd again. Probably gonna be another hard reset for me. Nooooice.
Self-Proclaimed