New Forum Layout

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

New Forum Layout

#1 Post by FastChapter »

Well, looks like the forum got upgraded to PhPBB 3. Quite a few changes occurred in the transition, too. I'm not liking it, in all honesty. Ignoring the many shades of gray we're able to enjoy, avatar sizes are screwed up beyond belief. They can be incredibly wide now, which makes sense, because the best avatars are the ones that crush the posts together. But they can't be tall, limiting them to 200px. So that kills just about all the fun in having custom avatars.

Signatures, on the other hand, can be as large as they used to be. That makes sense.

Ugh, I don't like the new forum. It's drab, the personality feels like it's gone. I'm sure the upgrade had something to do with security, but come on, did the change have to be this drastic? I'm sure I'll catch flack for posting in the negative, but heck, it's my honest opinion. The new change sucks.

Any other opinions?

Twayblade
Cogito Ergo Nom

Re: New Forum Layout

#2 Post by Twayblade »

eh, I dont really care
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"

TwoKinds Telegram

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#3 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

They squished avvies!?

D:

EDIT: Wow... took me a bit to find the edit button. >_>
I'm going to LURVE how every post is going to have different widths, too.
( _ _)

DEAR GOD!! My :roll: smiley!! It's so different!! DX

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Well, moving to phpBB3 is probably a good decision - It is apparently much better and more secure, so why not?

However, I really think the skin needs work. Fixing the avatar sizing for one, and changing the fonts to basically what they were on the phpBB2 forums. Some of fonts & sizes with this skin just look ugly, and are hard on my eyes.

Some examples are the forum titles on the main page(e.g. "Furry Board")[use a different font - it looks squished], and the category text(e.g. "Announcements")[this ought to be bigger].

If we can fix the skin, I think it will be as good if not better than the old forum.

-RobbieThe1st

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#5 Post by FastChapter »

You can't link them as an off-site image any more. So even if you've tailored your avatar to fit neatly in the threads, it gets crushed down to size. There's some active function with this new forum layout that catches any larger-than-allowed avatars, and it'll resize it *for* you regardless of what you do.

Why restrict avatar sizes in the first place, if each post formats around individual avatars?

zhimoda
Ringtail Foxie

#6 Post by zhimoda »

Yeah...the skin is the only thing I'm not too keen on...the avatars getting squished is a bit of a pain. It'll take a lil getting used to.

Kakurady
New Citizen

#7 Post by Kakurady »

I like PHPBB3 better than PHPBB2. It's more stylish.
But I feel like something's gone, too.
Maybe it's just that I got used to it...

But anyway there are a lot of new features in PHPBB3.
Check out your user control panel! And try the new prosilver theme too. (TwoKinds forum's default is subsilver2.)

PHPBB3 doesn't support HTML in posts anymore, and this probably could break some posts. On the other hand, attachments are available. Don't think of crushing Tom's server with that though!

Fonts, meh I don't really care. I'm on Ubuntu for the moment. (Read: Don't have the same fonts with you nyahaha!)

Oh and Fastchapter? Your tall avatar is quite disturbing.
Although I don't understand why Tom set the max width (225) to be higher than the height (200) either...
It should be the other way around.

Oh, and the archives page has been updated too!
Nekotoba · deviantArt profile
Kakurady Drakenar

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Ster Zetanee »

I'm not pleased because my password wasn't transfered so now i have some password i am to lazy to change
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#9 Post by FastChapter »

Kakurady wrote:Oh and Fastchapter? Your tall avatar is quite disturbing.
Sounds like a personal problem.
Kakurady wrote:Although I don't understand why Tom set the max width (225) to be higher than the height (200) either...
It should be the other way around.
It really doesn't make sense, unless the new fad is to have huge panoramic avatars. And seeing how each post conforms to the size of each individual avatar, dimension restrictions shouldn't be so ungodly strict in the first place. The several forum regulars here with oversized avatars had them fitted to the size of their minimum posts already, so even on a one-line reply our post sizes wouldn't be expanded.

I'm hoping that Tom is just only beginning with this freak-storm of an overhaul. Ideally, I'd like to see what he has to say about everything. I figure if he's going to turn things on their heads, he could give us a "hey guys, this is what's happening."

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#10 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

Bleh, the new layout and style feels... I dunno, robotic. Really drab and kinda boring.

I liked the old one D= It felt unique. As for avatars, yeah, it's annoying. I don't get the height limit personally.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#11 Post by FastChapter »

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel wrote:Bleh, the new layout and style feels... I dunno, robotic. Really drab and kinda boring.

I liked the old one D= It felt unique. As for avatars, yeah, it's annoying. I don't get the height limit personally.
Exactly. Now it's just another bland forum in a sea of bland forums. Tiny little avatars you have to squint to see, no personality any more.

I'm logging off early tonight. :?

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#12 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

I'm tempted just to expand mine to get the brightness of it out more. >_> Lighten the depression a bit, maybe.

Navigation is a bit (ok, a lot) trickier, but I suppose that's just from not being used to PHPBB3. It'll take time...

Narane
Quiet You!

#13 Post by Narane »

I don't know why you guys complain. There are no more errors when I click on thread titles from thread view and thread search, searching seems to work better, and the new skin is PURE AWESOME.

ImageImage

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#14 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

Man, this is ironic. Everyone was saying we should upgrade to 3 XD Now we all hate it.

When I first got on, I thought I had clicked my book mark for the AnaKuro forum by mistake, even though I never go there.

I suppose the feeling will pass, but it just feels drab now. Though I suppose it, like video games, was never about the source but rather about the content itself.

Grahgahal, prosilver is horrid.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Ster Zetanee »

Gah, i don't like how with PHPBB3 when i close out my web browser it doesn't maker all the threads as read.
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.