New Forum Layout

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Re: New Forum Layout

#46 Post by FastChapter »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:I really didn't mean to to complain about it all that much. It was sudden, yeah, and everything's very different, but I'm glad I don't have any more malicious attacks to worry about. >.> Sorry if that sorta' slipped.
At the very least, the chaos after the change can be used as a learning experience for the people running the forum. I'm just hoping the near-accident the forum had today acts as a bit of a wake-up call. You can't run a forum with one administrator and a cluster of restricted mods. Problems are going to bottleneck when they have to climb the ladder to Tom, and things aren't going to be addressed that need to be.

*sigh* I just hope a week from now this thread doesn't die off, and the only changes that happen are a few forum layout corrections and font adjustments.

Ryu
Citizen

#47 Post by Ryu »

Its better than the old one.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#48 Post by aj »

Umm, I should probably point out that technically a forum administrator wouldn't be able to do anything in a similar situation... To get rid of the virus, even if we kept the old phpBB2 forum, would have required FTP access to the server at the very least, which I imagine Tom would be hesitant to do give to anyone. Even if Robbie is made an admin, he wouldn't be able to get his hands on the code I think... unless there's something like the wordpress file editor in phpBB3. Chances are though, Sage will become an admin way before Robbie.

And Fooby: It's just that having been in a similar situation, albeit with fewer people, people come over as ungrateful... You try and do something to help them, and all you get is griping and complaints. It's more than a bit depressing.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

zhimoda
Ringtail Foxie

#49 Post by zhimoda »

aj wrote: You try and do something to help them, and all you get is griping and complaints. It's more than a bit depressing.
The joys of working System Administration/Technical Support.

KitWiz4687
Merchant

#50 Post by KitWiz4687 »

The new changes are gonna be a pain in the tail for my bot-hunting project because I have to change the code parsing for everything, but then the new features may prove to be helpful. ;D
Please click my dragons to help them grow =^-^=

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#51 Post by aj »

zhimoda wrote:The joys of working System Administration/Technical Support.
Yep. How true. I like the hardware/software, but not the meatware. >.<

Anyway, on topic, should we consider collating a list of themes/smilies/improvements/whatever that we'll ask Tom to add? We're kind of starting from a new beginning here, and we effectively have a clean slate to work with. =D
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#52 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

Now that I'm getting used to it, I'm not minding it as much.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

Ryu
Citizen

#53 Post by Ryu »

The other one was depraved of some basic features this type of software runs on
nice to see them here

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#54 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

Erm... like what? >.>

zhimoda
Ringtail Foxie

#55 Post by zhimoda »

aj wrote: Yep. How true. I like the hardware/software, but not the meatware. >.<

Anyway, on topic, should we consider collating a list of themes/smilies/improvements/whatever that we'll ask Tom to add? We're kind of starting from a new beginning here, and we effectively have a clean slate to work with. =D
I love the hardware/software but don't mind the meatware, I consider them to be job security. ^^

I suppose it'd probably be the most productive step to take, would help get things on track faster and give Tom some idea of what folks are hoping to see. Kinda hard to make modifications without some ideas to work off of. *shrugs*

Ryu
Citizen

#56 Post by Ryu »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:Erm... like what? >.>
Last visit was: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:30 am It is currently Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:40 am

View unanswered posts | View active topics View new posts | View your posts
Options
Overview

Board preferences
Usergroups
Friends & Foes

i didnt find those anywhere on the old one

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#57 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

Ah, all that junk.

I plan on poking around that stuff at some point or another. Like that Friends/Foes list.

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

#58 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

This has lots better PM systems, as I have found.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#59 Post by Sithil »

Well, it appears I didn't have to endure the worst of all of this. But I still have to say that I do not like this change. Or rather, it's a good thing a change was made, I'm just not all that positive about the new skins and such. But, as many other have said, I'll get used to it.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#60 Post by avwolf »

heh I'm happy to see phpBB3 at least. I like having the columns resize so one guy with a gigantic avatar doesn't mash everybody's text. I really love the fact that the searching works better and the settings I had to change to every time to make the search useful are the defaults. I have always used subSilver, so the change isn't very shocking to me there either. The post notification might get occasionally obnoxious, simply because of how active this forum can be at times, but I'm willing to deal with it considering its utility in other instances. And hey! I don't have to manually track DST anymore! :D I'm getting used to the way the index looks (in my heart of hearts, I wish it were more compact), but that's just a matter of time.

Fact is, I've been wanting to see phpBB3 used here since it was in beta. I'm totally stoked.

-- I Could --
Wish Flash was on in signatures, but since I understand how nightmarish that could become, and I probably wouldn't end up doing what I want to do anyway, I'm not going to complain.