How old is Mekkan & what time does it take place in?

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

GaySailors
Merchant
Fav. Twokinds Character: Alaric :D

How old is Mekkan & what time does it take place in?

#1 Post by GaySailors »

Seriously, I can't put my finger on it. The Basitin solders used bows when they were confronting the group on page 505, so we know it has to be at least before the early 1600s. But beyond that, theres almost no landmarks besides the castles. Intercontinental sailing is out of the question because of the Polynesians. So, in our world, it goes from the creation of castles to the introduction of gun powder to Europe.

This means Dekkan must be in 1066 - 1525 in real life, as an absolute maximum of course.

What do you guys think? Where do you think it's placed on that time scale? I'd say closer to the beginning.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: How old is Mekkan & what time does it take place in?

#2 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Well, you really can't make comparisons to Earth, and it is not Earth. Tom could make the technology advance however fast or slow he wants it to.
But your question has been answered on this page
The year 482 is when the comic takes place

NotThatJon
Traveler

#3 Post by NotThatJon »

Don't forget about the delivery pizza. Delivery pizza wasn't a thing before the 20th century. And yeah, its confirmed as taking place in 482.

Either this universe adopted a new calendar and started back from 0 or their tech developed at over 2 times the rate of our world (4 times counting the pizza).
I apologize in advance for my unfunny shenanigans.

Here :keith: comes, rougher than the rest of them - the best of them - tougher than leather.

GaySailors
Merchant

#4 Post by GaySailors »

Seriously? Damn, these guys must have played Civ V in some other life because they're making progress quick. Either 2 to 4 times faster than the real world.

Using some math, theres some crazy [censored] that goes down
1 year in Mekkan is 2.593361 on Earth

Using the average-ish middle from the Earth time lines, they'd currently be around 1250 AD.

Doing some more math, that means they'd land on the moon by 759.2464 AD. In other words, April 24th, 759 AD, at 2:56PM CT. Holy [censored]. At most, it would happen by 1139 AD, and at least by 411 AD.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Warrl »

GaySailors wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm Seriously? Damn, these guys must have played Civ V in some other life because they're making progress quick. Either 2 to 4 times faster than the real world.

Using the average-ish middle from the Earth time lines, they'd currently be around 1250 AD.

Doing some more math, that means they'd land on the moon by 759.2464 AD. In other words, April 24th, 759 AD, at 2:56PM CT. Holy [censored]. At most, it would happen by 1139 AD, and at least by 411 AD.
But your calculations assume that our technology began at zero in the year 1 AD. And that their technology began at zero in the year 1 on their current calendar.

The first assumption is definitely false. The second, we have no evidence for or against.

Mekkan also definitely has beings of godlike or near-godlike power that take a somewhat active role in things. Plus magic. Our world is currently generally-believed to not have either.

As for pizza delivery... ovens, in particular, were not commonly found in the average home in medieval cities. Most people went to a bakery for everything they needed cooked in an oven. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that someone would set up a service of delivering stuff from the bakery to steady, subscribing customers on a regular route, or that one could send a messenger some time in advance to get a non-regular delivery...

GaySailors
Merchant

#6 Post by GaySailors »

Warrl wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 am
GaySailors wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm Seriously? Damn, these guys must have played Civ V in some other life because they're making progress quick. Either 2 to 4 times faster than the real world.

But your calculations assume that our technology began at zero in the year 1 AD. And that their technology began at zero in the year 1 on their current calendar.

The first assumption is definitely false. The second, we have no evidence for or against.

Mekkan also definitely has beings of godlike or near-godlike power that take a somewhat active role in things. Plus magic. Our world is currently generally-believed to not have either.

As for pizza delivery... ovens, in particular, were not commonly found in the average home in medieval cities. Most people went to a bakery for everything they needed cooked in an oven. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that someone would set up a service of delivering stuff from the bakery to steady, subscribing customers on a regular route, or that one could send a messenger some time in advance to get a non-regular delivery...
Not flawed at all my friend, I did the math for it all. The first is true because they don't use AD or BC. So, if they existed prior to the year 1 in twokinds, what would they call it? -1? The year -1540? It makes no sense. And if they did mark a turning point like we do, what was it? The only way it would be possible is that they existed for thousands of years, and at some point recently, they marked some ground breaking change. And as Tom stated the world was created by deities, it only stands to believe they've existed just as they said: They began as how they are on year one, and marked their calendars from that. Now that I think about it, you actually argued against yourself with the argument in general.
If humans started out technology at 1 AD, that means they work even faster. If we began at 1, than that means we would include our BC times. Lets say 3000 BC is where humanity started. That means that 4066 (3000+1066), we JUST had figured out castles! You're assuming humanity started by year 1, where the Romans still existed. That's not true at all, that's just ignoring human history. I don't get what you're going for.
Considering you used a flawed system of time, the first statement is still correct. The second (I'm assuming you mean the moon claim) is just math based off of the previous claim. It absolutely has evidence for it: general math.
  • Find what age equivalent of their year to ours using technological standards. Keidren have castles and bows, but not guns. Assume we are using an average year between the creation of castles and bows were common with no gun usage: 1066 - 1400. The second number is being graceful, as matchlock guns realistically started to appear in combat during the late 1400s.
    Therefor, assuming matchlock guns for war may have started in the 1400s, it is reasonable to use around 1250 AD as the equivalent time in human history.
  • Find how much time would pass on Earth for one year in Mekkan. As I said, 1:2.593361.
  • Multiply 2.593361 by 759.2464 to get 1969, the year of the moon landing. Alternatively, divide 1969 by 2.593361.
So, after you do a bunch of tedious math to analyze the .2464 to months, days, hours, and than minutes, you get my second statement: April 24th, 759 AD, at 2:56PM CT.

And with the masks creating Mekkan, I suppose you could say they created everybody and gave them the knowledge of how to do stuff, but we also know they don't like interacting with the world too.

Next week, on Discussions About Potentially Super Intelligent Magic Users!