Nostalgia

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Nostalgia

#1 Post by Akira110 »

You would think with a topic name like this, it'd belong in the Rant/Vent/Sad topic and I'll admit that it does make me feel a bit sad. But you know, just a sign that times are moving onward.

I'm 28 as of right now and I've been watching people on youtube like LazyGameReviews, Techmoan, and 8-Bit Guy. You know, the guys that talk about the olden stuff back in the day, but I find myself watching things that I grew up with.

For those of you who don't know, I was born in 1989, back when I was born Cassettes were a thing, the VCR had asserted dominance over the movie market and VHS tapes were all the rage, Cell phones were finally becoming small enough and affordable enough for your average person to use them and 16-bit processors for Video games were the new hotness. Windows 2.1 was the hip new operating system and instead of these amazing 256 color graphics we had back in the day, we had to make due with 8 or if we were lucky, 16. LCD TVs and Plasma TVs weren't even ready for the general market and we used to have to use phones with cords.

Throughout my childhood, all of this changed. Before I had become an adult, VHS died out and DVD took over, then Blu-ray came around. Video games finally reached 1080p, 3D graphics. Smartphones were just about to become a thing. Computers got faster, smarter, better. LCDs and Plasma TVs were everywhere.

But for the first time since I became an adult, I sort of miss some of the things I grew up with. I wouldn't like to go back to those times. But I sometimes think, "It'd be neat to have a VCR and some VHS tapes." or, "I want a cassette tape so that I can use this tape player we got in here." I just... I feel very nostalgic for the things I grew up with and I want to own some of them again. The thing is, I acknowledge that the newer stuff is better, but... I guess it's easier to explain it this way... I enjoyed the old tech and sometimes think it'd be nice to have some of the old tech around my house so that I can listen to some music that isn't on the internet, or some movies that you can't find on Netflix or Hulu or the like, ya know.

Anyone else feel like that, and please keep politics out of this.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

Re: Nostalgia (No politics, please.)

#2 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Cassette tapes? I still have some 8-tracks around the house somewhere, one of them almost brand new. Plenty of vinyl, of course, but no more 45 RPM records. :( We also had a couple storybook 78 RPM records all those years ago.

I have a VCR/DVD combo player, but I have way more DVDs nowadays than VCR tapes. Also around the time of VCR players, or just before, were videodiscs. Many of them, and the players, were manufactured by RCA.

As for compact discs, before remastering and better quality, there were high definition CDs called Ultradiscs. It is a gold layered compact disc instead of the aluminum ones more commonly seen which were made to be corrosion resistant. Most were manufactured by Mobile Fidelity or DCC Compact Classics. I have around 25 of these by various artists. These CDs are semi-transparent unlike the aluminum ones where are primarily opaque. Ultradiscs were discontinued sometime in the late 1990's, maybe a little earlier.

I don't do much for video games anymore, but the Atari 2600, first Nintendo and Sega Genesis are classics. Of course, the Krell Logo program on the early Apple II computers back in the 1980's during elementary school. :) The Commodore 64 and Tandy TRS-80 computers were cool as well. I also remember the bulletin board systems (BBS) through some schools during the days of early internet and dial-up.

I can probably go on forever regarding old trinkets, including plushes, toys and antiques, but I'll stop here for now.
Videre videnda.

Salemcripple
Traveler

Re: Nostalgia

#3 Post by Salemcripple »

Akira110 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm You would think with a topic name like this, it'd belong in the Rant/Vent/Sad topic and I'll admit that it does make me feel a bit sad. But you know, just a sign that times are moving onward.

I'm 28 as of right now and I've been watching people on youtube like LazyGameReviews, Techmoan, and 8-Bit Guy. You know, the guys that talk about the olden stuff back in the day, but I find myself watching things that I grew up with.

For those of you who don't know, I was born in 1989, back when I was born Cassettes were a thing, the VCR had asserted dominance over the movie market and VHS tapes were all the rage, Cell phones were finally becoming small enough and affordable enough for your average person to use them and 16-bit processors for Video games were the new hotness. Windows 2.1 was the hip new operating system and instead of these amazing 256 color graphics we had back in the day, we had to make due with 8 or if we were lucky, 16. LCD TVs and Plasma TVs weren't even ready for the general market and we used to have to use phones with cords.

Throughout my childhood, all of this changed. Before I had become an adult, VHS died out and DVD took over, then Blu-ray came around. Video games finally reached 1080p, 3D graphics. Smartphones were just about to become a thing. Computers got faster, smarter, better. LCDs and Plasma TVs were everywhere.

But for the first time since I became an adult, I sort of miss some of the things I grew up with. I wouldn't like to go back to those times. But I sometimes think, "It'd be neat to have a VCR and some VHS tapes." or, "I want a cassette tape so that I can use this tape player we got in here." I just... I feel very nostalgic for the things I grew up with and I want to own some of them again. The thing is, I acknowledge that the newer stuff is better, but... I guess it's easier to explain it this way... I enjoyed the old tech and sometimes think it'd be nice to have some of the old tech around my house so that I can listen to some music that isn't on the internet, or some movies that you can't find on Netflix or Hulu or the like, ya know.

Anyone else feel like that, and please keep politics out of this.
I was 9 when you were born! You're not old until you can clearly remember the decade some people who claim to be old were born in lol. As Fox Trotter said, the 2600 was my first gaming system (still am a hard core gamer) I remember legally riding in cars without seat belts. When leaded gas was a thing. And before ATVs had four wheels.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#4 Post by Akira110 »

Salemcripple wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am I was 9 when you were born! You're not old until you can clearly remember the decade some people who claim to be old were born in lol.
There's a reason I say that despite being an 80s baby, I'm a 90s kid
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Salemcripple
Traveler

#5 Post by Salemcripple »

Akira110 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:16 pm
Salemcripple wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am I was 9 when you were born! You're not old until you can clearly remember the decade some people who claim to be old were born in lol.
There's a reason I say that despite being an 80s baby, I'm a 90s kid
I still consider myself a 90's kid, evem though I was TECHNICALLY a 90's teen.

Jay Yeung

#6 Post by Jay Yeung »

90's ruled. I still live a decent portion of my life in the 90's. I feel sorry for kids growing up now, everything is to easy today!
You don't have to win, but everybody plays! Get your time, here you can find the best free mobile pokies and online slots in Australia. You can play these games from the comfort of their home. It's now or never!

Salemcripple
Traveler

#7 Post by Salemcripple »

Jay Yeung wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 am 90's ruled. I still live a decent portion of my life in the 90's. I feel sorry for kids growing up now, everything is to easy today!
Right?