Music Board

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

How should the idea of a Music Board be handled?

Create an independent Board
62%
A sub Board inside the Drawing Board
14%
Rename the Drawing Board
10%
Change the description of the Drawing Board
No votes
No Music Board at all
14%

Total votes: 29

MoonSticks
Master

Re: Music Board

#16 Post by MoonSticks »

I'm suprised to see that a few people voted for no music at all,
this isn't Footloose guys |D
|D :heart: MOMMY MOON :heart: |D

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

STOP FEEDING ME MARSBARS!...

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#17 Post by Vintage »

My initial impression was that there wasn't really enough demand for a dedicated music board, but now that I think about it there actually might be.

If we had a music board, it wouldn't only be used for people creating and sharing their own music, but it also be for just sharing music in general. I think there's already a relatively active thread in the forum games board that basically is just a place to share music. Not to mention that songs are also semi-frequently shared elsewhere like the smile thread. As such, I think there actually would be a use of an independent music board.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#18 Post by TinyVoices »

Vintage wrote:My initial impression was that there wasn't really enough demand for a dedicated music board, but now that I think about it there actually might be.

If we had a music board, it wouldn't only be used for people creating and sharing their own music, but it also be for just sharing music in general. I think there's already a relatively active thread in the forum games board that basically is just a place to share music. Not to mention that songs are also semi-frequently shared elsewhere like the smile thread. As such, I think there actually would be a use of an independent music board.
Let's use that logic and have me make a new thread in that Music Board.

I like "Numb" by Pink Floyd. I make a thread about "Numb". It gets locked for spam.
- Instead I make a thread for Pink Floyd. It might get locked because there isn't much to talk about with that topic. So spam.
- Instead I make a thread for classic rock music. Might go pretty far, the gun threads have gone further after all. I can see it working.

But in all 3 of those cases, a thread will be made by some newbies, I guarantee it. And more likely than not the priority will go in that order, too. And because it seems as though few people honestly want a separate thing for this for their own good...

I dunno. I'm skeptical.
Him wrote:Personally, if it's something a company can be sued for, I try not to do it.
How is this something a company could get sued over, exactly?
Him wrote:It was just a suggestion that was made. We are asking you people, after all. It's in your hands.
That's all well and good, but so then you should be expecting some honest opinions on the matter. Such as mine where I doubted the necessity of anything changing as is.

In the end I will respect the vote, however.
MoonSticks wrote:I'm suprised to see that a few people voted for no music at all,
this isn't Footloose guys |D
I voted the last option, as we already have accommodations suitable for anyone wanting to share music or other such media.

Anyone can post about genres, bands, artists, albums, or songs in a Smile Thread post.
Anyone can discuss these things in the General Chat Thread within the Forum Games Board.
Anyone can mention these things in a post in the stickied Music Interests Thread within the Media Board.
Anyone can make a new Thread about it (thread lock permitting) in the Media Board.
Anyone wanting to share their own work of music can make a new Thread for it all in the Media Board.
Anyone wanting to share their own video game Let's Plays can make a new Thread for it in the Gaming Board.

If
anything
I can see a need here, just because then those first 5 things can just all go into one (1) singular board all of its own.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#19 Post by Him »

TinyVoices wrote:How is this something a company could get sued over, exactly?
I an referring to all the things that companies get sued over. I meant it mostly as a joke, however. I'm pretty sure you have heard many of the crazy lawsuits that have happened.
TinyVoices wrote:That's all well and good, but so then you should be expecting some honest opinions on the matter. Such as mine where I doubted the necessity of anything changing as is.
Yes, actually, I do expect honest opinions. I don't believe I said I didn't. Everyone is allowed their say. I am just arguing and stating my thoughts on the matter.

It's definitely okay to say negative things about this. I doubt the Board will have much use and will even kick off. But, on the off chance that it does... I am interested to see how it goes.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#20 Post by Neutral Smith »

Creating music is an art, so that would be a nice board to fill the 'Art' section.
Talking about music that wasn't created by someone of this forum could go to the Media section.

(and kick the 'RolePlaying Board' from Art to General, that's not really an art in my opinion)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#21 Post by Him »

It seems like the conclusion is fairly obvious but we shall keep the poll going for now.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by avwolf »

For what it's worth, when asked in the past, I have tended to guide people to post in the Drawing Board, where most of our creative work except for written pieces tends to go. Nuff asked me about this years ago, and (User reference removed at user request - Turaiel) more recently, so this is a subject that we're revisiting as time has gone on and more people have become interested in multimedia creative works. I know there are people who've felt that the Drawing Board was an uncomfortable fit; partly because it's hard for visitors to discover their work (not everybody who is interested in musical pieces is interested in pictures and vice versa -- much as we see in the Story Board) and partly because the Drawing Board says "artwork" specifically, and is definitely geared in that direction.

I'm also of the opinion that renaming the Drawing Board would be a crime unless we could come up with a similar play on words for "multimedia." I mean "Sound Board" jumps right out, but it's perhaps still more specific than we're after. I think we might need to be more general in a new board than we have been. We've got some musical artists and some folks who've done dramatic readings, but I think we'll also want to potentially open up to more generally multimedia; so not just sound but video.

I would like a community as vibrant and active as we see on the Drawing and Story Boards, which is why I've been of the opinion to paint with a bit of a broad brush, though I'm really interested in hearing other opinions on that as well.

-- Also --
Thanks for putting up the poll, Him, and for spending so much time explaining what this is all about. That bit should definitely have been something I was involved in considering that this is sort of all under my umbrella anyway, and I apologize for falling down on that. Thank you for stepping up.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#23 Post by Him »

avwolf wrote:Thanks for putting up the poll, Him
No problem, Av. I'm happy to help. And definitely don't apologize to me for being busy yourself.

(Quote removed at user request - Turaiel) Thank you for your enthusiasm, Terkos. It's always nice to see someone so passionate about this kind of thing. We'll consider everything you have said here.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#24 Post by Him »

(Quote removed by user request -Turaiel)
That is unlikely to happen, I'm afraid. We try to select people who have a lot of experience and are known by the community. You might be able to become a moderator in a couple years. But if you feel ready, however I would recommend waiting for a while, you can ask Yash and he'll give you a small interview.

If you have anything else to say on this particular subject PM me if need be.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#25 Post by Myperson54 »

Here's my thought process working through this idea. Bear with me if my train of thought lifts off the rails at any point.

Okay, so there's a high demand for music content and discussion on the forums and we don't have an appropriate, dedicated venue for such discussion. Say I want to make a thread about Grunge and its related bands, let's say I want to talk about Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and the like. I can put that in a brand new "Music Board", but consider the following:
      If I were to create a thread about the writing in Christopher Nolan's movies, that seems like I could put it in the Writing Board. But of course it's a thread about movies and the Writing Board is used for original works anyways, so I would put it in the Media Board instead.
Following that, I think if I were to create a music discussion thread about my favourite artists, or about grunge, or about music history or what have you, it would be best suited in the Media Board. It would be more consistent to make a brand new Music Board specifically for content related to original music only.

But having established that, I wonder, is there enough music production on the forum to warrant an entirely new, original-content board? I'm not sure there is, but I could be mistaken. So I think it makes more sense to just leave the Media Board as-is, or to create a sub-board under Media for music creation and discussion.

Counter-points to this trail of thought:
- Does it matter if we only have three people contributing to one board? Maybe not.
- There might actually be a lot of music producers that I've just never noticed on the forums
- I might be trying to keep discussion and content creation more distinct from each other than is really necessary.

Just my thoughts on this. And I'm not sure if we would even need more moderators. Depending on where we put it, a new board might not even contribute enough content to warrant a new mod.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#26 Post by Him »

Myperson54 wrote:But having established that, I wonder, is there enough music production on the forum to warrant an entirely new, original-content board? I'm not sure there is, but I could be mistaken.
I don't believe there are enough musicians to use the board to its fullest potential. So I think you are right about that. However, it will eventually start building up. Given time the Music Board will have a good number of posts. But at the start it will definitely be under used.
Myperson54 wrote:So I think it makes more sense to just leave the Media Board as-is, or to create a sub-board under Media for music creation and discussion.
I believe the main point of this was to show to content creators that we find their art on equal ground- hence why all of the options are grouped in the art section.
Myperson54 wrote:Just my thoughts on this. And I'm not sure if we would even need more moderators. Depending on where we put it, a new board might not even contribute enough content to warrant a new mod.
You are correct that the Music Board itself does not force us to recruit. However, we are actually looking for new mods. The inactive ones were cut loose and it was decided we need replacements to keep things stable. Most mods are too busy to dedicate too much time to the forum. Some are gone for months, sometimes up to three. A few more recruits would make things much easier to handle. By having too few members we make it much more likely that all of us could be inactive at the same period of time. We do not want that.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#27 Post by Myperson54 »

Fair enough. I'd volunteer but I'm not sure I spend as much time as I used to on here. And good points about the board, I agree that it makes sense to place it on equal footing with the other arts.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Deaththekat
Merchant

#28 Post by Deaththekat »

Music, imo, is a different form of media to many others,and deserves its own area to be spoken of.
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#29 Post by Him »

Congratulations, everyone, there is now a Music Board. As such this thread will be closed immediately. Thank you all for your votes and support.