"REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

Re: "REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

#76 Post by nsamok6620 »

I got to handle some M1 Garands yesterday. My grandfather's legion hall wanted to see if they were all still operational so they could be used in ceremonies and stuff. They all seemed to work alright, maybe a few weak Springs, but nothing some WD40 couldn't fix haha.

I've wanted one for a while, I might have to actually look for one now...
Check out secretstageproductions.com
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
___━━____━━|:::::: ^━━━^
___━━____━━|::::::|=◕w◕=|
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#77 Post by Neutral Smith »

nsamok6620 wrote:I got to handle some M1 Garands yesterday. My grandfather's legion hall wanted to see if they were all still operational so they could be used in ceremonies and stuff. They all seemed to work alright, maybe a few weak Springs, but nothing some WD40 couldn't fix haha.

WD40?

Isn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol better for firearms?

(I don't own any firearms, I don't have experience with them, I just saw this post and I 'had' to reply)
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#78 Post by nsamok6620 »

Neutral Smith wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:I got to handle some M1 Garands yesterday. My grandfather's legion hall wanted to see if they were all still operational so they could be used in ceremonies and stuff. They all seemed to work alright, maybe a few weak Springs, but nothing some WD40 couldn't fix haha.

WD40?

Isn't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol better for firearms?

(I don't own any firearms, I don't have experience with them, I just saw this post and I 'had' to reply)
Yeah it was more of a joke than anything else. There's several oils I'd use on a firearm before WD40. But...
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

Warrl
Grand Templar

#79 Post by Warrl »

The thing to remember about WD40 is that it is a special-purpose cleaner. It is NOT a lubricant.

As a special-purpose cleaner it will get a lot of things unstuck, but to keep them unstuck many of those things will also need a lubricant.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#80 Post by SirSlaughter »

I was on the verge of buying a Mossberg MMR AR because we have them on sale for $600, but my friend decided to blow the money he owes me on a bunch of stuff so he can complain he needs to save money for a car. So I won't be getting a large sum of cash, just more trickles.

Seeing as the sale is this weekend and we only have one left, it looks like I'll be building my own AR.
I don't know if I want to go with a simple stripped lower that's like $50, or to legit save for something fancy and buy one of those silly ones with the Skull on it.

http://www.primaryarms.com/stlb520-colo ... 520-color/

Also, our distributor gave us a free AR pistol.

The Sig Sauer MPX.
So whoever buys a firearm this weekend is entered into a raffle. Whoever wins the raffle with walk home with a free Sig Sauer MPX AR pistol. And then the ammo discounts. Jesus, all clearance ammo is 50% off! I'm going home with a ton of 380 or 223 even if I don't own a firearm that uses that. I'm not letting that slip away. Gotta prepare for the future!

EDIT:

I just placed me an order.
http://www.primaryarms.com/spikes-tacti ... p/stls020/

Now it will just take a few days to maybe a week and I should get a call to pick it up.
I love the markings on the side. I'm gonna enjoy building this thing.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#81 Post by nsamok6620 »

Let me know how it goes. I want an AR, but I am in the position you were in before. buy it whole or build it?
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#82 Post by Him »

nsamok6620 wrote:Let me know how it goes. I want an AR, but I am in the position you were in before. buy it whole or build it?
While I have never assembled an AR I have built AKs. It might not be the same but building the gun has always been most enjoyable part for me. It makes it all the more special.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#83 Post by nsamok6620 »

Him wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:Let me know how it goes. I want an AR, but I am in the position you were in before. buy it whole or build it?
While I have never assembled an AR I have built AKs. It might not be the same but building the gun has always been most enjoyable part for me. It makes it all the more special.
It's more so that I just don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't know whyou I should get one part instead of another.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#84 Post by SirSlaughter »

nsamok6620 wrote:
Him wrote:
It's more so that I just don't know anything about them, so I wouldn't know why you I should get one part instead of another.
Well it's like cars and computers. You do research, check out product pages, look at forums, debate cost for features, and make decisions after learning a little bit.
One example: I have to decide which kit/trigger setup I want to get for my lower portion inside of the receiver. I'm checking out CMC and Geissele triggers. I think I might go to Geissele because they have some nice Automatic ready triggers and I can get the supporting parts to allow automatic modes and when I am ready, to start the long assed process to approve of my custom made firearm.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#85 Post by nsamok6620 »

So, I was thinking that when I got an AR (which might be soon btw) I would want an optic for it. I could just get a red dot or holographic sight, but I would like something with a little bit of magnification. Not a lot, so not a full blown scope. I was thinking of just getting an acog since I know it will be fine, but not for $1000+ lol.

Anyone here have any experience with mid-range rifle optics?
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#86 Post by SirSlaughter »

nsamok6620 wrote:So, I was thinking that when I got an AR (which might be soon btw) I would want an optic for it. I could just get a red dot or holographic sight, but I would like something with a little bit of magnification. Not a lot, so not a full blown scope. I was thinking of just getting an acog since I know it will be fine, but not for $1000+ lol.

I know Trijicon and Eotech are the Go To brands. I've only had my hands on the $1500+ scopes and no real field experience with them, so don't put too much stock in what I say as of now. It's just what we have in stock and I get to look at them/through them.

Also, I finally got my thing!
Spoiler!

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#87 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

SirSlaughter wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:So, I was thinking that when I got an AR (which might be soon btw) I would want an optic for it. I could just get a red dot or holographic sight, but I would like something with a little bit of magnification. Not a lot, so not a full blown scope. I was thinking of just getting an acog since I know it will be fine, but not for $1000+ lol.

I know Trijicon and Eotech are the Go To brands. I've only had my hands on the $1500+ scopes and no real field experience with them, so don't put too much stock in what I say as of now. It's just what we have in stock and I get to look at them/through them.

Spoiler!
"Don't give a [censored]." Well, I'm gunna need to get me one of them.

Also, yes, id say trijicon and Eotech are the bad boys, BUT can be expensive, some smaller companies can be comparable for quality and sometimes even be cheaper.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#88 Post by nsamok6620 »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:

Spoiler!
"Don't give a [censored]." Well, I'm gunna need to get me one of them.

Also, yes, id say trijicon and Eotech are the bad boys, BUT can be expensive, some smaller companies can be comparable for quality and sometimes even be cheaper.
My buddy's dad used to work for Trijicon, and I applied for an internship at Eotech a couple years ago (didn't get it btw) but I am familiar with both brands. I'll look into them, but honestly I'm pretty sure they won't have anything in my price range.

I did do some looking around on OpticsPlanet.com (you guys should check it out. They have everything there. You want a $20,000 thermal scope? You can buy it there lol) and I found a few different things for around 300. It wasn't a brand I had heard of but one had 5 stars with 60+ reviews and the other had 4.5 with over 80.

But now the question is this: ~3X stand alone sight, or red dot/holographic with magnifier? I didn't thing cheap magnifiers excisted, but the 4.5 star reviews product was one for like 250. I'm leaning towards that just because if how cool I think it is, plus it would be more versatile. Yeah it will end up being more expensive since I'll be buying two optics instead of one, but I kind of think it would be worth it.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#89 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

nsamok6620 wrote: Also, yes, id say trijicon and Eotech are the bad boys, BUT can be expensive, some smaller companies can be comparable for quality and sometimes even be cheaper.
By magnifier do you mean a red dot sight with the flip up 4x magnification thing? Because 250 for one of those with really good reviews would be stellar.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#90 Post by nsamok6620 »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote: Also, yes, id say trijicon and Eotech are the bad boys, BUT can be expensive, some smaller companies can be comparable for quality and sometimes even be cheaper.
By magnifier do you mean a red dot sight with the flip up 4x magnification thing? Because 250 for one of those with really good reviews would be stellar.
Yup. I don't remember what magnification it was, but that's what it was. I'll of course do research outside of those reviews to make sure I'm not wasting my money, but I think that it what I'm going to do.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O