"REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Jarlath
Citizen

Re: "REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

#136 Post by Jarlath »

I currently have 2.5 AR's.
One 100% Armalite, 11.5" heavy barrel. My fun gun...
A tinker gun - ATI Gen 1 Omni w/ 14.5" & an EoTech
And a Dlask lower (Canadian made).

ARs are the 1911 of rifles. Customize, tinker and generally tune to your personal tastes.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#137 Post by Foxx Trotter »

The last thing I would expect to see on this type of forum is a firearms thread. Anyway, I currently have thirteen guns...only one shotgun, while the rest are pistols. My latest purchase was an HK 9mm semiautomatic pistol. The most intriguing one that I've got is an engraved C.O.P. four-barrel derringer pistol. The most powerful one I have is a Wildey Survivor with a 10-inch barrel, .475 WM caliber gas powered pistol (The Wildey Magnum instead of a Winchester Mangum. It is a wildcat round.). If you have seen the movie Death Wish 3 with Charles Bronson, you will know the gun I'm talking about.

USA Firearms currently owns and produces the Wildey brand. I spoke with someone there a couple months ago about a caliber they discontinued about 25 years ago, the .357 Wildey Magnum...also known as the .357 Peterbuilt. It was the only round Wildey produced that could travel at over 2,000 meters per second. Unfortunately, there was trouble producing the ammunition as many casings were accidentally crushed while necking down the .475 casing to fit a .357 Mangum bullet. They still have barrels in stock which were not finished. I'm waiting to get one of those just for a rare collector's item. As for the ammunition, I heard someone is going to try and see if he can neck and reload without crushing the casing. Hopefully, it will work.

Oh yeah, I also have a pet Llama. :P It's a .45 ACP gold-colored coated pistol. That company is no longer in business though.
Videre videnda.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#138 Post by SirSlaughter »

So I finally got a chance to shoot my rifle along with the rest of my arsenal today. I decided today was the perfect day for some family bonding. We all had the day off of work so I said we were going and I dragged them all along with me along with about 2K rounds of various ammo for a fun day at the range.

http://imgur.com/gallery/gb3tc?lr=0

Had me a good time and the AR shot great. I didn't have a chance to sandbag it because the indoor range didn't have what I needed to sandbag properly so I'm waiting for the weather to warm up or just stop raining before I go for a proper Zeroing session. My Canik TP9 SA had it's first shots go downrange today as well. Accuracy is awesome. 18 Rounds in the mag is pretty satisfying big time.

So the Arsenal was:

Custom AR15
Henry Goldenboy 22lr
GSG 522
Springfield XDS 9mm
Ruger SR22
Canik TP9 SA

All in all a really good day at the range. I am so happy with the build. It even takes the steel cased ammo like TulAmmo just fine.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#139 Post by Foxx Trotter »

SirSlaughter wrote:The usual advice you will hear is go to Palmetto State Armory for some good deals.
I got my lower from Primary Arms and I ordered a Barreled upper from CBC Industries for $250 on sale. 1/7 Twist with KeyMod floating rail.
I'm excited to get my hands on it.

So if it helps, stripped lower: $50 (Before Transfer fees and such. $80 after.)
CBC barreled upper: $250 on sale
Lower kit (Trigger and stuff) $70 at a local store
Stock and buffer tube: $110 (I went with Magpul for the stock)
engraved dust cover: $30

I haven't chosen a charging handle or bolt carrier group yet but after everything is said and done I should blow maybe $200 between the two because I want a needlessly fancy charging handle and a chrome or nickel plated bolt.

So total may be around $600-700 total for a customized AR to my specs and preference. That's VS something cheap like the M&P Sport II, Bushmaster, or even the DPMS which you will customize all of those anyway because they are all rather basic ARs and could use a few changes to make them really nice. Those are all $600-700 ARs before you start customizing them.

EDIT POST!

Christmas was good to me! (Well I mean I payed for it all, but still)

I got me a couple of toys to play with:

You can see all the info for them here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ACPag

But for those who don't want to click:

I am almost done building my AR. All I need is the Bolt and the Charging handle. I may cheap out on those until I decide on which expensive ones to go with. I know the Archangel Charging handle is a must for the final build.

I also got the Canik TP9 SA in FDE.
I hope I can hit up the range this weekend for some fun with the Canik.

@Fawkes:
You got a really nice Piece. Colt I feel is really just riding on their fame for a large part but as a firearms expert for Aafes, I can attest that Colt is indeed one of the top manufacturers on the AR industry. As for accessories, because you got the magpul furniture you will be slightly limited on that, but as an AR in general, you can literally swap out any part of that rifle just fine. If there is anything on that rifle you feel could be better, then it can be better and you should make it better.

Also, the AUG: roughly $2000 for one of those babies. The HK91 is a little price for being an HK and you can get away with something like the PTR or C308 from Century Arms. I've shot the PTR and it's a trip. I hope you have as much fun with your AR as I know I will have with mine.
Palmetto State Armory? You must be in South Kakalaka, about four hours from me.

Here in the RDU area, probably the best places to get firearms at an independent location is Perry's Gun Shop in Wendell (pronounced WHEN-DELL) along with Carolina Gunrunners and Eagle 1 Supply in Raleigh. Davi's Gun Shop was also a great place to buy firearms, but they went out of business in 2008. Of course, there are plenty of the majors around here including Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's. Eagle 1 Supply has both an indoor and outdoor firing range, but I haven't been there yet. There is also a modern style gun club near where I'm at called Sir Walter Gun Club. I may check it out later, but due to the fact that I'm working all the time, it won't be any time soon.

The North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh hosts the Dixie Gun & Knife Show four times a year and the Capital City Gun Show twice a year.

I'm glad you had a chance to try out some of your toys. :D I do have a DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 in my possession, but it belongs to my father. It was left here when he temporarily moved to New York as they are illegal up there. I need to get it back to him sometime.
Videre videnda.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#140 Post by SirSlaughter »

I'm in TN. I just suggest the Palmetto route because the price for what they offer and it's really great for starter setups and building from the bottom without breaking the bank.
I have shot the DPMS Panther, they are alright. We usually suggest them to a customer trying to get into ARs but don't want to deal with building from the ground up. So we say, pick up a DPMS and change what you don't like about it to learn about the platform that way.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#141 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Well, I was close at least. I haven't been to Tennessee in a few years. Those two states seem to compete for record in the amount of interstate signs for "See Rock City" and "South of the Border."
Videre videnda.

Jarlath
Citizen

#142 Post by Jarlath »

Speaking of firearms... Off to the SHOT Show in 2 weeks! Yay!

Salemcripple
Traveler

#143 Post by Salemcripple »

Firearms? I might have a few of those! Let's see, a Rossi .22 LR pump, 7.62x54 Mossin Naggant sniper, Ruger P95 .45 (with low light sights), Remington model 870 Express (competition variant), Colton Defender 1911 (9mm version). And more to come! Do those count? I'd post pics but I can't seem to upload them from my phone, and don't have a PC.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#144 Post by Dadrobit »

Huh, I've always had a pretty terrible outlook on Hi-Points, because, ya know, Hi-Points...

But, man, this torture test actually gets really impressive at the end. Props to where props are due, Hi-Points can be tough little shooters. Kudos to the brute force engineering.

phpBB [video]

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#145 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I've heard of performability issues in regards to Hi-Point pistols. Their low sale prices seem to coincide with such a claim. I have one, although it belongs to my father. I've yet to try it.
Videre videnda.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#146 Post by SirSlaughter »

I think Hi-Points are a "your mileage may vary" kind of gun.

I have had customers talk highly about them especially for what they are, and I've had people talk poorly about them.

For me I just tell them, look it you want a Glock, just save yourself 400+ dollars and buy the damn Hi-point. They're the exact same thing. *hides in flame war bunker*

Also, I've picked up a few more toys since last time. I'll have to upload the pics later, but now my vault includes a Mossberg Maverick 88. 18.5" barrel.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#147 Post by Dadrobit »

SirSlaughter wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:27 pm
For me I just tell them, look it you want a Glock, just save yourself 400+ dollars and buy the damn Hi-point. They're the exact same thing. *hides in flame war bunker*
Ohhhhhh, them's fightin' words!

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#148 Post by SirSlaughter »

Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Guys, I found the Glock guy!

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#149 Post by Dadrobit »

SirSlaughter wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:18 pm
Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Guys, I found the Glock guy!
Well, I mean, I was like the seventh poster in this thread.
Dadrobit wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:20 pm
1 Glock 30 (Concealed and Open Carry)

Ezirius

#150 Post by Ezirius »

Hi all!

First of all, my pass card for the thread. Got a HOWA 1500 .308 with GRS stock, Leupold rings, Steiner Ranger optic and a custom made muzzle break. Also a Proud owner of a Remington 870 Express.

It's awful hard to get licence for any gun in my country and since I got it for manual operated long guns I'm aiming to get a semi-auto too.
After some time I narrowed down my interest for 3 guns. SL-8, MR556A1, Steyr AUG A2 Civil. I'm looking for advices, experiences or recommendations (AR-15 variants are no go).
Any bits and pieces can help. I would use the gun for Situational shooting ( I don't know the proper English terminology so I just made a rough translation. Try not to tear me to pieces.)
Thanks for the help in advance.
“So can you tell me exactly what 'freedom' means? If I am not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?”