"REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

"REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

#1 Post by SirSlaughter »

Ok with the sudden resurgence of firearm owners/enthusiasts cropping up again, I figured I could try this again.

The last Gun thread died a long while back so I figured I could take a crack at another one.

The exception here is for those who actually own or want to talk about ACTUAL firearms. The last one got filled with paintball and airsoft gear (I am guilty of this, I bring shame) and died.

So hello to anyone who owns a real gun (meaning fires real ammunition, doesn't matter what caliber) and go ahead and talk about junk.

I'll start out with my GSG 522:
German Made, H&K MP5 replica that the company was sued over for it being just that. After the issue happened, GSG changed up a few little things on the 522 so it still looked like an MP5 without it being too close and putting them back into the legal radar.
It cost me $323.00 before discounts and accessories.
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: "REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

#2 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

STOP, I CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT.

But in all seriousness, .22LR if nothing else, is the gateway drug of the gun world, cheap ammo, cheap guns, accurate, and fun. Also, that rate of fire.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#3 Post by nsamok6620 »

Saw the topice last night, but was too lazy to get out of bed and take a picture. And since I had to go to work, I only had time for one picture this morning.

So here is my most recent purchase: a Remington 870 Tactical. I chose the Tactical version because unlike most other shotguns with an 18.5" barrel ( the legal limit for those who don't know) it still has a choke. Most others are just a smooth barrel all the way through. But this one came with the door breaching muzzle break, which I promptly replaced with a flush choke.

I also got the grip, which I like to call the 'blunderbust' grip. It's cool and makes it very maneuverable, but I better hope anything I'm shooting at is close because aiming isn't really a thing. And since I'm not a huge fan of the pistol grip stock it came with I'll probably get a more traditional style stock sooner than later.

Then lastly I bought the tube extension when I bought the gun, but it is a 3 round extension and without the muzzle break it sticks out past the end of the barrel. So I bought 2 round extension as well, which is what's on there now. So it can hold 6+1 or 7+1 depending on what I put on it.

Oh yeah, and the little rail and flashlight. Like 60 bucks for both on Amazon.

For anyone interested I'll explain how it wasn't just as simple as putting the tube extension on to make it work in a spoiler bellow.
Spoiler!
So the older style of 870 shotguns had a retainer ring at the end of the tube to stop the tube follower (the thing the spring pushes on to push the shells down the tube) from going too far. But on the newer models, like mine, they have two indentations protruding into the tube to stop it. So if I put the extension on, the follower would just stop at the normal spot. So I had to get rid of the indents. There is a tool that remington makes for getting rid of them, but it costs $80. Some people grind them off, but then you have holes in your tube. I did what others did and pounded a socket from my socket wrench set carefully into the end. Then had to use a slide hammer to get it back out. After doing this a few times it became flush and the shells load freely. Kind of a crappy design if you ask me, but at least you only have to do it once.
Check out secretstageproductions.com
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
___━━____━━|:::::: ^━━━^
___━━____━━|::::::|=◕w◕=|
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#4 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

nsamok6620 wrote:Saw the topice last night, but was too lazy to get out of bed and take a picture. And since I had to go to work, I only had time for one picture this morning.

So here is my most recent purchase: a Remington 870 Tactical. I chose the Tactical version because unlike most other shotguns with an 18.5" barrel ( the legal limit for those who don't know) it still has a choke. Most others are just a smooth barrel all the way through. But this one came with the door breaching muzzle break, which I promptly replaced with a flush choke.

I also got the grip, which I like to call the 'blunderbust' grip. It's cool and makes it very maneuverable, but I better hope anything I'm shooting at is close because aiming isn't really a thing. And since I'm not a huge fan of the pistol grip stock it came with I'll probably get a more traditional style stock sooner than later.

Then lastly I bought the tube extension when I bought the gun, but it is a 3 round extension and without the muzzle break it sticks out past the end of the barrel. So I bought 2 round extension as well, which is what's on there now. So it can hold 6+1 or 7+1 depending on what I put on it.

Oh yeah, and the little rail and flashlight. Like 60 bucks for both on Amazon.

[ig]http://rs1187.pbsrc.com/albums/z388/nsa ... 0&fit=clip[/img]

For anyone interested I'll explain how it wasn't just as simple as putting the tube extension on to make it work in a spoiler bellow.
Spoiler!
So the older style of 870 shotguns had a retainer ring at the end of the tube to stop the tube follower (the thing the spring pushes on to push the shells down the tube) from going too far. But on the newer models, like mine, they have two indentations protruding into the tube to stop it. So if I put the extension on, the follower would just stop at the normal spot. So I had to get rid of the indents. There is a tool that remington makes for getting rid of them, but it costs $80. Some people grind them off, but then you have holes in your tube. I did what others did and pounded a socket from my socket wrench set carefully into the end. Then had to use a slide hammer to get it back out. After doing this a few times it became flush and the shells load freely. Kind of a crappy design if you ask me, but at least you only have to do it once.
I love the look of the blunderbuss style stock, but the pistol grip or a standard style stock would be so much more useful and effective, otherwise you're being the terminator with a shotgun 2 times the size.
Nuclear Cowboy

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#5 Post by nsamok6620 »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:snip
I love the look of the blunderbuss style stock, but the pistol grip or a standard style stock would be so much more useful and effective, otherwise you're being the terminator with a shotgun 2 times the size.
Funny you should mention the teminator. Because I wanted to buy one of these:

It too has an 18.5" barrel, but because the style of receiver is so much smaller, the shotgun itself is tiny, but still perfectly legal. It isn't that much, around 850, but no one has one in their store. So I'd have to get a store to order it, and when it's all said and done I'd expect to pay around 1000. Plus it has mixed reviews. Some people say it works great. Others have constant problem. To the point they are having to use both hands to operate the lever. I still really want it though, but it is on my bucket list since it isn't really practical. Plus it's made by the same people that made one of my revolvers (Chiappa Rhino) so I know they are capable of doing great work.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#6 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Oh, I didn't know that they made that shotgun, I know they make a few good revolvers, but I don't much follow the brand.
Nuclear Cowboy

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Dadrobit »

My current arsenal consists of:

1 pistol grip Mossberg 12 gauge (Home Defense)
1 Glock 30 (Concealed and Open Carry)
1 S&W .38 Special (Concealed Carry)
1 Monroe AK-47 ([censored] 'n Giggles)

His name is Charles.
Spoiler!
My next firearm is up in the air at the moment. I really really really want to get a 1911 for pure open carry,

Because 1911 :mrgrin:

But I'm also super lacking in the AR15 department.

And I have nothing for a .22 plinkster. That GSG 522 is beautiful and I may just pick one up.

So many choices, such riches aplenty!

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by SirSlaughter »

I had a day at the range yesterday after I made the post in the smile thread.
Spoiler!

Yes I know I seem to suck. But come on, it's the first time I've ever shot a rifle and this was without supervision. It seems I am shooting low and to the left. Going to take another day to see about sandbagging it and junk. Just to make sure if it is me sucking or not.

Also, I got a red dot sight and have been spoiling my new gun. It was left over from my paintball equipment:
Spoiler!
The more astute of you will notice the handgun. That would by the Ruger SR22.
.22 caliber handgun. My father got it for home defense but it turned into the house sit around and get dirty gun.
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Dad let me clean it today and I found some blood still lingering under the slide. So now that it is finally cleaned and all lubed up, I will take it to the range and have some fun.

kevin
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#9 Post by kevin »

At present, I currently own a Mosin Nagant 91/30 made in 1943 and a Henry repeating rifle in .22 caliber. The Mosin has it's original matching spike bayonet and an original Soviet era sling, both of which I find add to the over all appearance of the weapon.

I am happy about having recently found a Colt AR-15 at a local store and put it on layaway. Within the next couple months it will be mine and I simply cannot wait. Have always wanted a Colt made AR, and that particular dream is about to come true :grin:
My 2K fan fic story ---> The Adoptive Father: Chapter 11 Part 2 now up
Head over and give it a read if you would be so kind, any comment is appreciated.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#10 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

I built a firework technical for my pickup truck, I will post pictures tomorrow.
Nuclear Cowboy

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#11 Post by nsamok6620 »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:Oh, I didn't know that they made that shotgun, I know they make a few good revolvers, but I don't much follow the brand.
For some reason the site didn't notify me that new replies were posted here, I thought the thread had died already lol.

But yeah they actually make quite a few guns. As far as shotguns, they have a more traditional version of that one made with wood and a full stock. They also make a more tactical pump shotgun. But my favorite is the triple barrel break action shotgun. It's really cool, but not for the price.

They also make a few 22 caliber replica firearms. Things like colt ARs as 1911s.

Unfortunatelly I'm several states away from all my babies so I can't take photos. But luckily I have photos of one of them from a while ago.

I present to you: my Soviet made Tokarev TT-33, the only mAtkins i can read is "1942" so i assume thats when it was made. It fires a 7.62x25 cartridge. And whether they knew it or not, that round is pretty good. It's a neck-down cartridge so it's a relatively small bullet with a good deal of powder behind it, so it is fast and I hear has some potential for light armor penetration. Single stack magazine holds 8 (?) Rounds. It is pretty much like a Soviet 1911.
Spoiler!
My dad had it for years. It was found in his mother in law's uncle's closet after he died. The grips were broken, so we got a new set (from Ukraine, so they are probably left over original parts) and when I went to clean the barrel using my 308 brush (same diameter bullet) the brush dropped right through with no resistance. The barrel was toast. So we bought a new one. The new one didn't feed properly, so my dad ground and polished the feed ramp and now it works great. I would use it as a carry weapon, but there is no safety mechanism and it's single action only. So there is no good way to carry it. No round in the chamber, so not good in an emergency, round in the chamber hammer down, dangerous, round in chamber hammer half cocked, not good in emergency, or round in chamber hammer fully back, also dangerous. So for now it is just a cool, historic, fun little pistol.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#12 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Cool, ive never much liked Russian guns, but the Tokarev and the Makarov have always looked pretty cool. Personally for a CC I'll probably get a revolver, not for looks, but I know that no matter what happens, the only way it'll fail me if something goes down is if the ammo is bad, at which point, The game was rigged from the start.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHdCDEfhlkD/ and this is what I built over the weekend.
Nuclear Cowboy

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#13 Post by nsamok6620 »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:Cool, ive never much liked Russian guns, but the Tokarev and the Makarov have always looked pretty cool. Personally for a CC I'll probably get a revolver, not for looks, but I know that no matter what happens, the only way it'll fail me if something goes down is if the ammo is bad, at which point, The game was rigged from the start.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHdCDEfhlkD/ and this is what I built over the weekend.
nice haha

I feel pretty much the same about Russian firearms. The only appeal they have for me is their reliability. They things you can do to an AK and still have it function are damn impressive. But I don't like the round it uses, I don't like how big and heavy it is, I don't like it's accuracy, etc. I'd love to own a Dragunov/PSL.
Spoiler!
Dragunov
PSL
And I agree with the carry weapon. I'd like to get a holster for my Rhino, but it isn't exactly small haha. Plus because of it's design the trigger pull is really heavy. So I'll probably end up buying a double/single action semi-auto that is known for reliability. Just haven't found one yet.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#14 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Yea, personally I'm thinking about something like a Governor, or just a standard old style .357, kind of like the ones Patton carried.
Nuclear Cowboy

musicgeek
Apprentice

#15 Post by musicgeek »

I have almost no knowledge of firearms but one gun I'd love to own is a Colt M1911 because it's a goddamn sexy looking piece, especially the long slide variants.
oh god what do i put here