Let's Talk about Magic

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Let's Talk about Magic

#16 Post by kiabugboy »

midnightblink wrote:
kiabugboy wrote: Y'know, that can make for a pretty cool story.
So in the world there are several factions of gifted people that can each control one of the forms of energy that hold the universe together. Some can bend gravity, others can control thermal, or radioactive, some electromagnetic,etc.

Some factions are more violent than the others(kinda like the fire nation in avatar)
While some are more sneaky, etc. Each factions have their own legendary heroes who are able to control their power more immensely than the others. And if only these factions set aside their differences and stop fighting, they could've achieve greatness
I'm actually writing a story with just that premise, except set in the modern day
Do you plan on posting it here?
I expect to see gravity benders jumping/warping across huge skyscrapers fighting thermal warriors in their mafia helicopters shooting out fire balls :P

midnightblink
Council Member

#17 Post by midnightblink »

kiabugboy wrote:Do you plan on posting it here?
I expect to see gravity benders jumping/warping across huge skyscrapers fighting thermal warriors in their mafia helicopters shooting out fire balls :P
I have the first chapter posted, but I'm not planning on finishing it for a LONG time
Primum Non Nocere

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#18 Post by Mionikoi »

kiabugboy wrote: Do you plan on posting it here?
I kind of see Gravity Masters as something between Air and Earth benders. : / part od them can be very distanced from the world. Enjoying the simple fact that they can fly. While the others are just like Earth Benders in mentality. Priding them self for their strength and ability to build like no other. Then their is a third and maybe not so well known faction. One that watches over time and space to make sure the world is balanced. Unattached to the world but more responsibil and bound to it then any other. Watchers?
I LOVE WAFFLES! : D

Razmoudah
Merchant

#19 Post by Razmoudah »

Mionikoi wrote:
Bellhead wrote:Dragon magic. Not only because Nora is friggin' AWESOME, but I was quite a fan of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon when I discovered it. I've yet to see something that can stand up to stuff like that in terms of sheer awesomeness abilities.
Lol. I find it amusing though that there is no literature of a fox and a dragon having a confrontation. Or at least none that I have found. ;)
Hmmmmm........you're right. I can't place a single ancient tale of a Kitsune and Dragon battling each other. I think there might be some modern tales, but no ancient ones. Then again, maybe these tales are told slightly differently. Don't forget, in the right portions of Asia Dragons were viewed as Gods, and the legends regarding Kitsune do imply that a 9 tail can take on a god with a reasonable expectation of winning, so maybe the tales just weren't explicitly told as Kitsune vs. Dragon but in actuality were such fights. It certainly explain the discrepancy regarding whether or not a 9 tail Kitsune is more powerful than a god or not, plenty of stories of them defeating one, and plenty of stories of them being defeated by one, so maybe they can best Dragons but not true Gods.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

Rafe
Council Member

#20 Post by Rafe »

If I could be granted one magical ability, it would be the power to be able to transport myself - or others, what the heck - anywhere in space-time. If you could do that, basically you could control anyone or anything, get the jump on any kind of enemy, Place bombs or weapons exactly where they need to be better than any weapons system (even years ahead of time), fix any mistake you ever made, command huge amounts of resources, take over the world, you name it. Best if you are the only one with the power, of course.

Loads of paradox and multiple-timeline problems possible, of course, but I'll take the risk.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Warrl »

SperoWolf wrote:Blood magic is often seen as a dark, ritualistic art that conjures great, evil power.
In Velgarth, stereotypical blood magic is NOT particularly powerful - in fact, its practitioners tend to be relatively low-skill compared to other sorts of mages. They have power, but not an extraordinary amount compared to other mages, and they generally lack finesse in its use.

What it is, is ACCESSIBLE. Far more people are capable of being blood mages than other sorts of mages. You see, in that world magical energy is not available in usable amounts everywhere. And to manipulate or direct it, you have to know where it is. A proper mage can sense it directly, and that's really the unusual ability - the ability to manipulate it is quite a bit more common.

A blood mage... causes magic energy to be released in a known location by torturing and killing something or someone. So he knows the energy is there, even if he can't sense it at all.

Unsurprisingly, blood mages tend to be unpopular with the neighbors. And because torturing and killing a mage generally releases MORE energy (their personal reservoir, in addition to what you'd get from an ordinary person), they are particularly unpopular with mages - including each other.

But... there's also this other sort of blood magic in that world. Practiced by the tribal shamans of a certain nation. There are only two acceptable sources for the blood in this sort: the shaman casting the spell, and the chief of the shaman's tribe - the latter only by consent. Their Goddess is really really fussy about this, and has been known to show up in person.

Razmoudah
Merchant

#22 Post by Razmoudah »

There are a variety of other settings that have had variations on those types of rules regarding blood magic.

Really, I'd have to say that in most settings the strongest Evil magic is really just a variation of Divine Magic, but bestowed by an Evil Deity instead of a Good Deity. Which is where a portion of the distinction between Holy and Unholy comes into play.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage