Let's Talk about Magic

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Mionikoi
Apprentice

Let's Talk about Magic

#1 Post by Mionikoi »

Let's talk about Magic. What kinds have we seen? Is there a category? How does it operate? What is the most powerful?

My vote is Gravity and Death magic.
I LOVE WAFFLES! : D

Butterscotch
Master

Re: Let's Talk about Magic

#2 Post by Butterscotch »

Well, according to one Albus Dumbledore, love is the most powerful form of magic.
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#3 Post by SirJahar »

The two most powerful I've seen are Arcanus Divinia (divine magic) and blood magic.

But the most common (and frankly, useful imo) is pyromancy. Fire is a wonderful tool.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#4 Post by The Rookie »

Smoke and mirrors. I've yet to see actual unexplained magic in my life time, but I'd certainly be open to learn more about it, if it exist.

As for the most powerful 'magics' I can imagine, it'd have to be a form of telekinetics. The ability to manipulate any object seems as if it'd have more than a few perks.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#5 Post by Mionikoi »

I say Gravity magic because of its almost endless use and applications and Death magic because it has a tendency to bipass defensive magic and usually kills in one hit if it hits.

Magic is a field of science in which we have yet to explore.

Witchcraft on the other hand is an entirely different story.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Dragon magic. Not only because Nora is friggin' AWESOME, but I was quite a fan of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon when I discovered it. I've yet to see something that can stand up to stuff like that in terms of sheer awesomeness abilities.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#7 Post by Mionikoi »

Bellhead wrote:Dragon magic. Not only because Nora is friggin' AWESOME, but I was quite a fan of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon when I discovered it. I've yet to see something that can stand up to stuff like that in terms of sheer awesomeness abilities.
Lol. I find it amusing though that there is no literature of a fox and a dragon having a confrontation. Or at least none that I have found. ;)

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by kiabugboy »

The Rookie wrote:Smoke and mirrors. I've yet to see actual unexplained magic in my life time, but I'd certainly be open to learn more about it, if it exist.

As for the most powerful 'magics' I can imagine, it'd have to be a form of telekinetics. The ability to manipulate any object seems as if it'd have more than a few perks.
screw that, if you could manipulate atom, you're basically a god

midnightblink
Council Member

#9 Post by midnightblink »

kiabugboy wrote:
The Rookie wrote:Smoke and mirrors. I've yet to see actual unexplained magic in my life time, but I'd certainly be open to learn more about it, if it exist.

I always believed the strongest form of magic would be the control of energy, and I don't just mean electric, I mean all forms: kinetic/potential, thermal, electromagnetic, radioactive (both strong and weak), and gravity. Basically, if you could control the transition of energy types (under the assumption you cannot create energy under the law of conservation of energy), you could control everything in the universe.
Primum Non Nocere

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#10 Post by SirJahar »

midnightblink wrote:
kiabugboy wrote:

I always believed the strongest form of magic would be the control of energy, and I don't just mean electric, I mean all forms: kinetic/potential, thermal, electromagnetic, radioactive (both strong and weak), and gravity. Basically, if you could control the transition of energy types (under the assumption you cannot create energy under the law of conservation of energy), you could control everything in the universe.
In general, magic studies specialize in controlling the conversion of chemical energy (calories consumed by the caster) into one other form.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#11 Post by Mionikoi »

SirJahar wrote:
midnightblink wrote:
kiabugboy wrote:

In general, magic studies specialize in controlling the conversion of chemical energy (calories consumed by the caster) into one other form.
So, if that is the case..... Then if one was to convert calories towards gravity magic wouldn't they be able to do things like agrivating molecules to a super excited state in a small fare to cause things to combust or create several strong gravitational fields that theoretically would allow them to jump through space and time?

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#12 Post by SirJahar »

I said " in general". More advanced practitioners may study how to create their favored form of energy from other forms.

Mionikoi
Apprentice

#13 Post by Mionikoi »

SirJahar wrote:I said " in general". More advanced practitioners may study how to create their favored form of energy from other forms.
Oooh. I didn't think about that. : 3

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by kiabugboy »

midnightblink wrote: I always believed the strongest form of magic would be the control of energy, and I don't just mean electric, I mean all forms: kinetic/potential, thermal, electromagnetic, radioactive (both strong and weak), and gravity. Basically, if you could control the transition of energy types (under the assumption you cannot create energy under the law of conservation of energy), you could control everything in the universe.
SirJahar wrote:I said " in general". More advanced practitioners may study how to create their favored form of energy from other forms.
Y'know, that can make for a pretty cool story.
So in the world there are several factions of gifted people that can each control one of the forms of energy that hold the universe together. Some can bend gravity, others can control thermal, or radioactive, some electromagnetic,etc.

Some factions are more violent than the others(kinda like the fire nation in avatar)
While some are more sneaky, etc. Each factions have their own legendary heroes who are able to control their power more immensely than the others. And if only these factions set aside their differences and stop fighting, they could've achieve greatness

midnightblink
Council Member

#15 Post by midnightblink »

kiabugboy wrote: Y'know, that can make for a pretty cool story.
So in the world there are several factions of gifted people that can each control one of the forms of energy that hold the universe together. Some can bend gravity, others can control thermal, or radioactive, some electromagnetic,etc.

Some factions are more violent than the others(kinda like the fire nation in avatar)
While some are more sneaky, etc. Each factions have their own legendary heroes who are able to control their power more immensely than the others. And if only these factions set aside their differences and stop fighting, they could've achieve greatness
I'm actually writing a story with just that premise, except set in the modern day
Primum Non Nocere