Your Spiritual Beliefs

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Your Spiritual Beliefs

#16 Post by Warrl »

Since the Theory of Everything can explain everything that ever happened, ever will happen or is happening, I believe that the concept of "choice" doesn't exist. I believe that every action you have taken, every twitch of your fingers, every "unforeseeable circumstance" is the only way it could ever be
"He chooses to believe we have no free will, but fate has decreed that I must disagree with him." -- me

(Yes, the precise way I worded that is absolutely totally deliberate.)

midnightblink
Council Member

#17 Post by midnightblink »

Warrl wrote:"He chooses to believe we have no free will, but fate has decreed that I must disagree with him." -- me
This guy gets it xD

I don't believe life is unimportant, I think that the fact that life is so rare and complex makes it special, beautiful really. Also, while I do not have set rules of what "morality" is like theists do, I do believe that the ultimate purpose of life is to continue life, and therefore, such qualities as sadistic tendencies and the desire to kill are slowly weeded out through a form of natural selection, albeit on the scale of life itself instead of individual species. If anything, my views are more optimistic than a theist, because theists believe life is the only random thing in the universe and therefore life can be either completely good or completely evil, whereas I believe that life has a larger probability of being "good" (as in promoting life), and therefore the Law of Large Numbers states that after enough experiments, the amount of life that promotes other life will be far greater than that which does not.

TL:DR We will condemn murderers/rapists/terrorists because they go against life's natural state, and through this process, over billions of years, we will be left with beings with no desire to cause harm to other life.
Primum Non Nocere

LonelyRyu

#18 Post by LonelyRyu »

Well, in short I do not align myself with any beliefs and do not see the utility in anthropomorphism/personification of forces in the natural world.

Several years ago I tried wicca but ditched it a year later. Being rather skeptical I tried to make myself "believe" but nothing about it came naturally to me and trying to force it drained me of energy.
I do not accept reincarnation or karma (except for real-life consequences like getting punched by a bear after you kick it in the tenders or something)

However I find aspects of Shintoism to be interesting but not to the point where everything is once more subjected to anthropomorphism.

I do not think life has meaning or purpose; that is up to each of us to invent as we see fit. What one person sees as important is easily dismissed by another.
However respect and compassion are important aspects in life and is something to be taught and encouraged, try to leave the world at least a teensy bit better than before.

As Ghandi said..if you are unable to help anyone at least try to do no harm. (but a pie in the face is always a classic :grin: )

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#19 Post by xboxgamer969 »

I don't know, and I don't try to think about it, the only thing that matters is living my life 1 day at a time and if I can enjoy myself in the moment and maybe make others happy from time to time then that's all that truly matters in my opinion, I don't really side with any beliefs, Religious or Atheists, I'm simply Agnostic, I simply live life and make the best of it, whatever happens after isn't for us to decide.
My advice is to not think about it cause it only brings negative curious thoughts honestly and thats not a good feeling imo

musicgeek
Apprentice

#20 Post by musicgeek »

I've always been somewhat skeptical of almost all spiritual and religious beliefs, but I know the inspiration and life guidance that they bring to a lot of people, so I'm not a militant anti-theist like a lot of other atheists are.
I believe strongly in freedom of belief and expression of those beliefs so long as it doesn't clamp down on anyone else's rights. My moral views are that acts of kindness, even small ones, can mean a lot to people, so I try to be a good, tolerant and forgiving person despite all the crap that life has thrown my way.
oh god what do i put here

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#21 Post by xboxgamer969 »

musicgeek wrote:I've always been somewhat skeptical of almost all spiritual and religious beliefs, but I know the inspiration and life guidance that they bring to a lot of people, so I'm not a militant anti-theist like a lot of other atheists are.
I believe strongly in freedom of belief and expression of those beliefs so long as it doesn't clamp down on anyone else's rights. My moral views are that acts of kindness, even small ones, can mean a lot to people, so I try to be a good, tolerant and forgiving person despite all the crap that life has thrown my way.
that's a very healthy mindset :)

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#22 Post by TinyVoices »

SperoWolf wrote:Religion
Hey Spero, you may have mentioned this someplace at some point, but I don't think I stumbled upon that if you did.

Have you ever heard of MTD? It's more or less taking a religion and not exactly focusing on the God aspect, but rather focusing on the moralistic portion of it.

You tore up the idea that humans are deserving of morality, so maybe you'd get a kick out of it if nothing else.

zy-fi
Citizen

#23 Post by zy-fi »

I choose to be agnostic on most points, but for philosophical reasons I do believe that God exists. At least as far as a creator. The question is where the universe came from, or to say it another way, why anything exists in the first place. The alternative to anything existing would be nothing existing. No time, no space, no outside, or any capacity for someone to experience it. So why isn't there nothing? Basically the way I think of it is that existence wants to exist, so it does, and that will is God. Not that saying it that way makes sense in terms of cause and effect, since if you started with nothing you would still have nothing, but I also don't have a reason to believe that the universe is inherently logical either.
Every day I'm shoopin'