The furry fandom and your opinion on it. Descusion thread.

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: The furry fandom and your opinion on it. Descusion threa

#106 Post by Rafe »

The references to Salem and witches reminded me of one of the aspects of furry culture a lot of people don't seem to be aware of - that it's been around for a lot longer than most people know. What I mean by 'furry culture' is the artwork and the literature with anthropomorphic animals as characters. I'm not talking about gods or spirits or mythology. I'm also not talking about fairy stories or folk tales. I'm talking about serious drama - as much like Two Kinds or any other furry web comic you could imagine - complete with dramatic plot twists, serious emotions, sex, violence, and raunchy humor.

There are illustrated stories that (translated, of course) would look like they were written for furry fans last week that would make you laugh or bring you to tears, that are almost 1000 years old. There are furry comics printed almost 100 years ago that would be probably be censored today, or at least be restricted to 'adult audiences'. And as far as I can tell, all this material, while it didn't exactly have a fandom and conventions the way we do at present, was seriously popular, widely known, and kept and treasured in a time when books were rare and expensive things.

Have an illustration of a wild furry party featuring lots of drinking, gluttony, and adulterous groping, from an 1840's edition of Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe's epic Renart translation, Reineke Fuchs.