Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaz
Master

Re: I had an Idea for a Twokinds video game

#16 Post by Kaz »

judah4 wrote:
Kaz wrote:First off, why use Unity?
Why unity? Because it is very easy to work with. I can start a new project and prototype something out in a day or two if needed. Programming in C# is very simple with cleaner syntax than other languages. Getting models into the game is a simple as dragging them into the project folder and unity can create games for everything short of a toaster.

CryEngine looks very pretty but is a pain in the butt to work with. Sure, you can have some nice landscapes but running requires a powerful machine. Even just getting a model into the game has a few intermediary steps.

Also, unity just got a graphical overhaul today with the release of the unity 5 beta. Here's some features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSfakMeW0lw

And some of its new physics based rendering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MLGm6Zgkc

Personally, I prefer c# but if you want to learn c++ or some of the visual programming,Unreal Engine 4has the power too and its workflow has been simplified.

For a beginner, I do not recommend CryEngine. Ease for making the game you want needs to be a factor for choosing the engine or else you end up with a pretty map and no game.
One problem I do see with Unity, though, is that you can't do a whole lot. NPCs and AIs will be limited. The world will likely have quality constraints. And, I'm not sure on Unity's efficiency when you put a large game into it.

A big reason why I suggested CryEngine (even though it's complex af) is that Twokinds has had a lot of work and detail placed into it. It's an immersive comic. All the Unity games I played were the "meh, not impressive/immersive" types of games.

Another possibility is that we just use Bethesda's Creation Kit (the one for Skyrim). We make a Twokinds mod that will overwrite all Skyrim stuff. The benefit here is that we have many assets (like trees, chests, all of that) already in the game,

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#17 Post by judah4 »

Kaz wrote: One problem I do see with Unity, though, is that you can't do a whole lot. NPCs and AIs will be limited. The world will likely have quality constraints. And, I'm not sure on Unity's efficiency when you put a large game into it.
Im sorry, but that statement about ai is false. Cryengine does a lot of ai work for you but you can do the same in unity, just with a little more heavy lifting. Same with Unreal.

It seems the max seamless worldsize for cryEngine is 256 km^2 theoretically while default unity can do about 10 km^2 but with some ingenuity, can be raised much higher to an appropriate world size. My system can currently do about the size of 4 million km^2 theoretically. It all boils down to the skill of the game creator and the implementation. Take Kerbal Space Program for example. It renders and seamlessly loads whole worlds and it is made in unity.
Kaz wrote: A big reason why I suggested CryEngine (even though it's complex af) is that Twokinds has had a lot of work and detail placed into it. It's an immersive comic. All the Unity games I played were the "meh, not impressive/immersive" types of games.
But as I said before you would end up with a giant world where you can walk around in but not actually do anything do to the complexity of the rest of the engine.
Kaz wrote: Another possibility is that we just use Bethesda's Creation Kit (the one for Skyrim). We make a Twokinds mod that will overwrite all Skyrim stuff. The benefit here is that we have many assets (like trees, chests, all of that) already in the game,
That would also work, it gives you a nice base to work with and modding is a great introduction to creating games.

Chris
Templar

#18 Post by Chris »

Nanaro wrote:but a story is what we need before we can decide on graphics and playstyle because both of those need to work with the story I forgot that was video games 101
I'd go very light on the story. Make a world to play in and add things for players to do (minor quests, places to explore, monsters to kill, people to meet, things to find and collect, etc), and let players make their own story from things people could logically do in the world. I'd rather a game that focuses on that instead of a forced (non-canon) story campaign. It's often said with the Elder Scrolls games, the world is the story. That's why it can get away with things like players completely ignoring the MQ and still have a good time immersing themselves in the world. I feel the world of Twokinds can support a similar role in a game. If the game were to be moddable, people could make their own main- and side-story campaigns of varying levels of lore-friendliness.

For graphics and world design, I'd take the comic for inspiration. An anime/cartoony style, in the vein of fantasy JRPGs.

Kaz
Master

#19 Post by Kaz »

We have a story. Just take the Twokinds story and add a few minor changes to it. Build sidequests and such. One of my older posts had like the first chapter of the story done.

Kaz
Master

#20 Post by Kaz »

Nanaro wrote:anyway considering how you guys want the game to be I came up with some slight backround for what ever type of character you choose

Basitin / warrior / this warrior was granted an extented leave for personal reasons and their journey lead them to the human territories , were they will face unexpected challenges ,new friends and foes that will test the heart of this warrior .

Basitin/ spy / this spy already cunning , intelligent and ruthless has took it apon them self to travel the human and Kaidrian worlds to seek out future dangers to their home . armed with their daggers and poisons they sow shallow bonds with many ready to kill any who they dislike .

Basitin/ exiled / Exiled form their home for reason or another this one has learned to feel at home in a top tier tavern or inn to the dirt on the ground armed with only their fist sometimes these exiled are not to dangerous ... sometimes

Well this is what I came up with for the basitin in the game . it shows why they are there each has three endings depending weather you turn out good , evil , or neutral in the end
Not quite what I had in mind. Basically, the race you choose at the start of the game is the "dominant" race. If you were a Basitin, the Humans would be out on a tiny island. If you were a Keidran, humans would be savages living in huts (a view too often expressed by the Templar (and to think they're bad-[censored] with the magic and all)). If you were Human, well...

At the beginning of the game, you'd have no class whatsoever. Your actions in the future decide what class you are. NPC classes are random, see my previous post. In the case of being a Basitin, you would have no ability to learn Magic. However, you would have many awesome perks to make up for that.

You want to be a warrior? Join the Military. Or do your own thing.
You want to be a mage? Join the Templar. Or do your own thing.
You want to be a spy/thief? Join the Thieves' Guild. Or do your own thing.

You should also be able to change classes and train in other classes. (ie, a Warrior can train as a Mage).

Kaz
Master

#21 Post by Kaz »

Nanaro wrote:so then when joining the , say military will it be a short series of minigames done for a time and that builds up a stat or you just go to a location your character walks in or joins in and then a short time skip and a certin stat builds . ether one I am fine with .

but this also brings up will this game be third person or first person
I think first-person. If you join a militia, you enter a full questline for the militia. If you go to the Templar, you do the Templar questline. Of course, this questline will be in addition to the main quest.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#22 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Kaz wrote:
Nanaro wrote:so then when joining the , say military will it be a short series of minigames done for a time and that builds up a stat or you just go to a location your character walks in or joins in and then a short time skip and a certin stat builds . ether one I am fine with .

I think first-person. If you join a militia, you enter a full questline for the militia. If you go to the Templar, you do the Templar questline. Of course, this questline will be in addition to the main quest.
Why not both third and first person?
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#23 Post by Bellhead »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:
Kaz wrote:

Why not second person? Like those 'choose your own adventure' books. :P
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#24 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Bellhead wrote:
InceptionBwaaa wrote:
Kaz wrote:

Why not second person? Like those 'choose your own adventure' books. :P
It kind of literally is a 'choose your own adventure', so..
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

justanUltramarine
Apprentice

#25 Post by justanUltramarine »

everybody is talking about a twokinds game . And i'm just waiting for: "TwoKinds a telltale game"

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#26 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

justanUltramarine wrote:everybody is talking about a twokinds game . And i'm just waiting for: "TwoKinds a telltale game"
I know Judah's TKO but THIS, its not that bad actually, that is a pretty awesome thinking on the story.
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Wolfgang penguin
New Citizen

#27 Post by Wolfgang penguin »

where can i go to play daggerfall
"Spartans never die"

Yash
Administrator

#28 Post by Yash »

It's being a long time since I've seen such horrible posting. Locking thread, I've got a bunch of work to do and messes to clean up here.

Nanaro's broken so many rules over the majority of his entire postcount that I think I'm just going to have to nuke everything.

Good Lord.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie