Twokinds Nostalgia

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

Re: Twokinds Nostalgia

#16 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

Ryusen wrote: I suppose the one thing I miss, more than any other, would be the quality posts. I remember the ranting board being alive and full of debate. Politics, religion, personal issues; all these things received ample attention, sometime spanning into hundreds of pages of debate. Our "What Made You Smile" and "Ranting" threads seem to have done away with most of those ideas, though, and condensed thought into bite-sized chunks. I regret starting the smile thread, and wish the other would also be retired. Perhaps without such specific threads to pigeonhole our ideas, we may have more active threads (I don't believe it's just my rose-colored glasses, either). I bear no small part of the blame, because who better than start discussion and though then those of us who have been here the longest? Shouldn't it be our job to steer this forum towards success? I would love to see more than one new thread a month, and I think locking those threads would go a long way in forcing people to contribute to new and original ideas.
Even I, who came much later than you, feel like this a bit. There used to be really interesting debates going on in the media board and sometimes the ranting board too. Which sucks because I was a [censored] teenager back then and probably made a fool out of myself more than once. :roll:

I learnt a lot from the older forumites though. I think Avwolf presented the best rationalisation for religious beliefs I have ever heard, totally changed some of my more obstinate ideals for more accepting ones. The idea that some guys on the internet (who I doubt even knew I existed, really) adjusted my personal growth as a human is a pretty weird one now that I think about it, but I like to think it was for the best.

Yeah. Killed a lot of time on this forum. commenting, debating, laughing, failing at RPing...Overall, good times. :squirrel:
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage

Yash
Administrator

#17 Post by Yash »

It's been nine years and I'm still here. Went from being a normal user, to a mod, then global mod, then admin. Been through my fair share of forum uprisings and riots, policy/rule changes, and watching good forum members(and staff members!) go insane and have to be taken to the back and put down.

And I'm grateful for every single minute of what I experienced with these forums. They were a pretty influential force within my life going through high school and all that RPing I did on an off the forums actually helped my creative writing skills in my English classes to boot.

I'll probably be modding these forums until either they or I die. (Whichever comes first, assuming I don't discover a way to actually become a bot and mod the forums forever)
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

Zylver
Grand Templar

#18 Post by Zylver »

Yash wrote:It's been nine years and I'm still here. Went from being a normal user, to a mod, then global mod, then admin. Been through my fair share of forum uprisings and riots, policy/rule changes, and watching good forum members(and staff members!) go insane and have to be taken to the back and put down.

And I'm grateful for every single minute of what I experienced with these forums. They were a pretty influential force within my life going through high school and all that RPing I did on an off the forums actually helped my creative writing skills in my English classes to boot.

I'll probably be modding these forums until either they or I die. (Whichever comes first, assuming I don't discover a way to actually become a bot and mod the forums forever)
Woah! :o :shock: Now that was a very [censored] epic way to tell the tale, Yash! :D Perhaps I should join in the RP-ing to gain some storytelling skillz as well...

Btw, it was not long ago that it has been a year now, since I've joined the forums :grin: And I can't complain, I absolutely enjoy being here with all of you guys :) Though I still get surprised how some people can actually write wall of text comments to every single comic page that comes out... :roll:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#19 Post by Schrodinger »

Great, now I'm feeling nostalgic as well as really, really old. Thanks Ryusen.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

CrimsonButterfly
Apprentice

#20 Post by CrimsonButterfly »

Uh, didn't need this post to sometimes feel nostalgic myself, not hard to guess there was some interesting activity before, not even sure when I first saw these forums, although I don't much remember for sure, was on one of those days were I don't remember things well, and didn't care. But it's really not bad now either. Even if it's so little crowded I tend to post only dumb stuff, it's sorta nice.

I wonder if this forum's going to get something much more to be nostalgic of though, or stay more or less stable as it is. Hmm. Some stuff reminds me why I feel old.
Dodge-fighting emotions. Also, whenever you ask, I am thinking about you.
--Life; 0/0

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#21 Post by The Rookie »

Ryusen wrote: All those feels
I probably don't have much say here considering I've only joined about 6 months back, and even then I've only really become more active in the last few weeks, but these are the kinds of fond memories and stories that I hope I'll be able to relate to down the track.
Ryusen wrote:Thank you for the rant. It feels good to post again, especially about something with such a depth of nostalgia for me. I'd love for some heavy-hitters to weight in on what we can do to bring some life back into this place.
I agree, it would be good to see a bit more life in here during the days between comics. Now all we need are a few of those good 'heavy hitters' to help lead the way, anyone feel like stepping up to the plate ?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by avwolf »

I think back often to the old days. I remember all Ryusen spoke of, but then again, our join dates aren't so far separate. :P

I miss a lot of folks. A lot of the core group on the Comic Board was pretty tight-knit in the old days; as I suppose it still is, though I no longer stand in that inner circle as I once did. I could drop a lot of names of people that I miss: zhimoda, GD, Tuna, Durandal, fatalcrash, kryss, Verilidaine, Fastchapter, Kilroy, Kinuki, Ana, Kuro, cupil, Jedi, and Spiffman; all people I'd called close friends then, and all people that I, to my intense chagrin, have let slip from me (or most of the way; as some of them do occasionally post here yet). I regret nothing more than that I haven't maintained those friendships. There are more names that don't come so quickly to the front of my mind, but whose words and presence I valued then and see no more.

What Ryusen left out when he mentioned the name changes is that the policy lockdown happened only like a week after one of the prank weeks, when large numbers of users would change their names or avatars in some predetermined way; so there were several people who ended up stuck with "theCatgirl" appended at the end of their forum logins for a while, until it was finally sorted out that Yash could fix it. Of course, Yash was still something of a frightening robot then, so a lot of people were afraid to come to him for help. *laugh*

I remember when I joined, Trace and Flora and the others had just begun their voyage to the Basidian Isles. We would spend weeks, sometimes over a month, between updates. But at that time, there was so much mystery left in the plot and characters. We spent weeks talking about why a person might identify with Keith or how a particular aspect of magic might work. Perhaps I am just cynical and jaded now, but I no longer see those mysteries. This far into the story, it's hard to speculate with people in the Comic Board because I just tend to see the path laid out in front of us.

I used to always very carefully post a small paragraph that was absolutely on topic for the specific thread title topic, and then post a massive multiparagraph discussion of whatever the thread's current topic was, so that the moderators wouldn't be able to delete my post or yell at me for being off topic. :P I hated to see topics get locked, so it was a point of pride of mine to intervene in heated debates and beg the situation down before anybody got into too much trouble. It gave me a probably undeserved reputation for being the voice of reason...especially considering how rough I'd play in some of those debates with Kinuki, Sebbie, or Scalfin2000 (a user who seemed to post almost solely to get into arguments with me).

Of course, our mutual respect for one another -- that we always tried to remember that the person we were arguing with was an intelligent, thinking individual who had (probably) come to their conclusions honestly -- was how we were able to get away with such rough and tumble debates. Kinuki's long-running series of topics on homosexuality here on the Ranting Board were a great example. We didn't always live up to our ideal, of course, but we did a good enough job that we were able to have those debates. Early in my time on the forum, they were locked immediately; it is to Yash's enormous credit that he had the patience and good will to give us some rope and trust us not to simply hang ourselves. I remember those early debates, treading very carefully to keep the mods happy, as they were uncomfortable with letting a flamebait topic stay open, and were watching everything closely.

unsteddy, your post brought tears to my eyes. You said what is probably the thing I have always most longed to hear; and you have no idea what it means to me. To have someone say that they saw what I wrote and it helped them refine their own beliefs is intensely flattering and is the reason that I ever started posting in those controversial threads in the first place. Thank you.

You know, we wax nostalgic, like the glory days are all behind us, but I have always tried to remember that we were all newbies once. I asked some particularly stupid questions when I was young (though I was too afraid to open topics for the first year or so, which means that my trail of foolishness isn't terribly obvious). And I don't think we've lost everything that made this forum great. We've got some pretty great users among our new(er) users too, people who still post with respect and thought, and it's been as much an honor to know all of you as to know my close friends from times past. It's the way of the mind to cherish our memories. And we had our share of rough times too, as anyone who remembers when "get in the soup" was expected to simply end any discussion will recall. Someday, the people who join today will look back on this year with fondness and remember their friendships here, or so is my earnest hope.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#23 Post by Envy661 »

I've gotta say, I've been reading all of these as you guys have posted them, and I wanna thank every last one of you for your contributions to this. In particular, the result of this for me has been one that has made me feel REALLY FREAKING OLD the more I grasp just how much time has passed since my joining, and realizing how much older some of the other members here are.

Twokinds is an interesting comic. Not the best, but I am an avid manga reader. Sometimes it's hard to find things to compete. Twokinds though... It sticks with you. when you first start reading, you really can't put it down until you reach the end, and you keep on checking for updates because you just genuinely want to see how things will go down.

I am extremely happy such a wonderful community (and Yash) exists, and was formed around this interesting little webcomic, and its' goofy creator. I have been on many forums in the past. None have been more enjoyable than this one, and it's because of all of you, and the other members of the forum, regardless of how active they are now or have been in the past, that we have this wonderful community. It's the result of everyone's hard work and general enjoyment of being here that makes it enjoyable for every new member who graces these sacred walls... And immediately gets banned. :p
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#24 Post by Myperson54 »

I guess I'd like to thank Yash and Ryusen and especially Avwolf for their contributions to this thread. It's really inspiring to see the kinds of things you've talked about in days of yonder. Like Avwolf said, we were all newbies once (or now), and eventually us newer users will be the older ones, having experienced all sorts of things the younger ones will, in turn, not have experienced. I was reading these posts and lamenting how I'd never really been through any major forum events, but then I got thinking about the future ad eventually being a "veteran," and I figured, in the future, people will probably reminisce about how Laura almost came back from the dead, and the recent April Fools' prank.

Just a weird kind of thought.

And more to Ryusen's point, I do remember when there was a thread on religion, and I think there was one on marijuana a while back (which I almost immediately abandoned :P ), and I sort of agree that there's not as much thoughtful discussion in here as there could be.

In the year-and-a-half that I've been here, I've thoroughly enjoyed almost every second of it, and while I can't say that I've been personally touched by any one user's posts, I am grateful to the veteran community and the growing new one alike for providing me with a place I know I can go for discussion.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!