Would you support a geneticly made anthropomorphic animal?

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

SirAwesome
Traveler

Would you support a geneticly made anthropomorphic animal?

#1 Post by SirAwesome »

In theory sometime in the future if humans don't kill themselves we would be able to make an anthropomorphic animal with a human like intelligence through genetic engineering. If this does happen would you get behind it, be against it or not care?

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Would you support a geneticly made anthropomorphic anima

#2 Post by TinyVoices »

The initial individuals would be horribly buggy. I have no clue what kind of mental illnesses would come from an animal suddenly having human-like intelligence.

Besides this, I'm not sure if we're ready or willing to see them come to be. It would muddy a lot of things up, that's for sure. Maybe check society's feelings about it in a millennium or two from now.

SirAwesome
Traveler

#3 Post by SirAwesome »

Not even humans are ready for the level of intelligence that they have, and biology is "Buggy" its just deformed, not to mention humanity is almost never ready for any advancement, it just happens and we adapt to it. not to mention there would be stages of human testing so even after the technology is made there would be a 20~ year delay before it is released to the public. (assuming that we got it right on the first to third try but that never happens.)

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by Ketzal »

I mean, it could happen, but I don't see what use we would really have for making anthros a reality. I'd sooner like a flying car (and the years of pilot and safety training it would likely entail) and a cure for every possible form of cancer, thank you very much!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#5 Post by anonfox123 »

I for one think it would be more practical to find a way to genetically give humans animal traits. People could then become their fursonas, and how they act/their mental state is entirely up to them.

So yeah, sort of the reverse direction of what you're thinking.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

SirAwesome
Traveler

#6 Post by SirAwesome »

anonfox123 wrote:I for one think it would be more practical to find a way to genetically give humans animal traits. People could then become their fursonas, and how they act/their mental state is entirely up to them.

That would require a total genetic makeover, it may be possible but for the traits to take effect you would need limb/hair/fur regeneration, a bit harder to do but still do able (in theory).

--Edit--
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:I mean, it could happen, but I don't see what use we would really have for making anthros a reality. I'd sooner like a flying car (and the years of pilot and safety training it would likely entail) and a cure for every possible form of cancer, thank you very much!
If we can do one chances are we can do the other, its kinda like programming but for Biology, we aren't quite sure how to read DNA like code yet but once we figure that out we could make a "predator" to any disease.

SirAwesome, please do not double post. You have an edit button, please use it if you think of something you need to add to your last post, rather than double posting.

Thank you.
--avwolf

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Ketzal »

anonfox123 wrote:I for one think it would be more practical to find a way to genetically give humans animal traits. People could then become their fursonas, and how they act/their mental state is entirely up to them.

reminds me of gene splicing from batman beyond

Nothing like snake fangs and ram horns to turn you into a delinquent! :D

SirAwesome
Traveler

#8 Post by SirAwesome »

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:

reminds me of gene splicing from batman beyond

Nothing like snake fangs and ram horns to turn you into a delinquent! :D
A smart system would keep a backup of your DNA encase you dont want it/ there's a terrible side effect

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by Ketzal »

SirAwesome wrote: A smart system would keep a backup of your DNA encase you dont want it/ there's a terrible side effect
Well, the villain ends up getting pumped with so much of the stuff that he becomes a genetic blob of absolute monstrosity. That kind of side effect?

Anyways, back to the subject at hand, my original point was that I don't think we should make anthro-animal research a focus point over other subjects, like treating cancer more efficiently.

If it's a byproduct of some other research, though, cool beans. Just hope there's not too many defects at the beginning >->

SirAwesome
Traveler

#10 Post by SirAwesome »

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
SirAwesome wrote: A smart system would keep a backup of your DNA encase you dont want it/ there's a terrible side effect
Well, the villain ends up getting pumped with so much of the stuff that he becomes a genetic blob of absolute monstrosity. That kind of side effect?

Anyways, back to the subject at hand, my original point was that I don't think we should make anthro-animal research a focus point over other subjects, like treating cancer more efficiently.

If it's a byproduct of some other research, though, cool beans. Just hope there's not too many defects at the beginning >->
If there is thats what the copy of your DNA is for, to revert you to human if there are to many defects.

Hoppy
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Hoppy »

I would not be in favor of any such research. What would be the purpose of creating an anthropomorphic animal? Most likely, they would be made to be USED by humans in some sort of menial task, or perhaps some dangerous work, that we don't wish to subject ourselves to. In short, we would be creating biological slaves, and possibly giving them enough intelligence that they would realize and understand what we have made them to be. Science fiction writers have long ago delved into why this is a bad idea.

THIS, however, is a far more workable solution. Not creating animals with human-like intelligence, but instead giving humans animal-like abilities. I could certainly have used some fur this past winter!
Image Image

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional." --(I dunno who said it but I'm doing a fine job of proving it's true.)

SirAwesome
Traveler

#12 Post by SirAwesome »

Hoppy wrote:I would not be in favor of any such research. What would be the purpose of creating an anthropomorphic animal? Most likely, they would be made to be USED by humans in some sort of menial task, or perhaps some dangerous work, that we don't wish to subject ourselves to. In short, we would be creating biological slaves, and possibly giving them enough intelligence that they would realize and understand what we have made them to be. Science fiction writers have long ago delved into why this is a bad idea.

THIS, however, is a far more workable solution. Not creating animals with human-like intelligence, but instead giving humans animal-like abilities. I could certainly have used some fur this past winter!
That would bipass many of the bad scenarios such as the slavery aspect seeing as of how there just modified humans, but it would require modifying living things, and as if said before, would be possible but requires limb regeneration. Also chances are the damn UN would try to ban it.

Hoppy
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by Hoppy »

I don't think the UN would try and ban such research. But you can bet your all you own on the fact that most religions in the world would have a rage-fest over the idea!
Image Image

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional." --(I dunno who said it but I'm doing a fine job of proving it's true.)

SirAwesome
Traveler

#14 Post by SirAwesome »

Hoppy wrote:I don't think the UN would try and ban such research. But you can bet your all you own on the fact that most religions in the world would have a rage-fest over the idea!
This is my response to that.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I think you'd probably want to start with human DNA and work from there.
Of course, if you *did* manage to come up with a virus package that would be able to regenerate limbs and such in the image of your new creature... just think how useful it would be -- lose an arm, leg? Use this new technique, and get yourself a new one.

Of course, the other option would be ending up creating a human hybrid creature from your own DNA, and then just dropping your own live brain in it... which would solve that pesky 'organ failure' old-age problem. Of course, you might end up solving that problem anyway, through regeneration.

I think the /real/ way it would go down is like 3D printing -- as DNA sequencing, understanding and creation becomes better understood and simpler, you're going to end up with home-made/home-kitted modifications coming out. They will be banned in many countries, of course, but as soon as someone manages to engineer a horrible virus, that control will fail and many people will be /forced/ into working with such tools to come up with antibodies, anti-virii etc. And everything will be a mess. But someone will probably create furry-style mods "for the hell of it". Unless we kill each other first.