What kind of Furry are you?

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

Re: What kind of Furry are you?

#736 Post by MirceaKitsune »

This reminds me: I wonder if Flora is a less sensitive and more accepting tiger than Tony.
Spoiler!
Forgive me... I simply had to do this :mrgreen:

crystalclaw

#737 Post by crystalclaw »

Hmm, glad this thread didn't die completely before I discovered it.
What kind of furry am I? Well, I'm a bit of a strange case.

I was practically raised by cats, or so my parents joke. I think I've always been a furry, even before I knew what they were. I imagined anthro characters long before I was introduced to the fandom, via artspots. So much so that for a couple of years in middle school I gained cat mannerisms without realizing it (yowling instead of cursing when hurt, slow blink when relaxed, etc); my (very few) friends pointed it out to me later. I don't think they know what furries are; my best friend reads furry comics without realizing it, but he's grown up in a very religious family where anything strange is bad. He's gotten a lot better about that since going to college though.

I don't like fursuits, they make me uncomfortable because they seem too...fake. If they didn't make people so much larger and were more realistic including expressions, I'd probably like them more. But I would be very happy if I could actually be turned into a furry-type being somehow; I've never identified well with being a human; too much evil stuff, and the grass is always greener...

I don't flaunt my enjoyment of furry art, I hide it somewhat; being the punching boy for 5-7 years in school has made me kind of reflexively keep things close to the chest, so to speak. That being said, I'd love to go to a convention and be more open about it, but there are none within ~500 miles of me. I would like to make a 'sona for that and other things like a profile picture, but I need better art skills first...

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#738 Post by MirceaKitsune »

crystalclaw wrote:Hmm, glad this thread didn't die completely before I discovered it.

I was practically raised by cats, or so my parents joke. I think I've always been a furry, even before I knew what they were. I imagined anthro characters long before I was introduced to the fandom, via artspots. So much so that for a couple of years in middle school I gained cat mannerisms without realizing it (yowling instead of cursing when hurt, slow blink when relaxed, etc); my (very few) friends pointed it out to me later. I don't think they know what furries are; my best friend reads furry comics without realizing it, but he's grown up in a very religious family where anything strange is bad. He's gotten a lot better about that since going to college though.

I don't like fursuits, they make me uncomfortable because they seem too...fake. If they didn't make people so much larger and were more realistic including expressions, I'd probably like them more. But I would be very happy if I could actually be turned into a furry-type being somehow; I've never identified well with being a human; too much evil stuff, and the grass is always greener...

I don't flaunt my enjoyment of furry art, I hide it somewhat; being the punching boy for 5-7 years in school has made me kind of reflexively keep things close to the chest, so to speak. That being said, I'd love to go to a convention and be more open about it, but there are none within ~500 miles of me. I would like to make a 'sona for that and other things like a profile picture, but I need better art skills first...
It's a little creepy how nearly everything you said applies to me almost identically... of course in a positive way :) Guess I'm too used to being alone in some aspects, glad it's not always the case.

crystalclaw

#739 Post by crystalclaw »

MirceaKitsune wrote:It's a little creepy how nearly everything you said applies to me almost identically... of course in a positive way :) Guess I'm too used to being alone in some aspects, glad it's not always the case.
Well, that's one reason communities like this exist :grin:

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#740 Post by xboxgamer969 »

crystalclaw wrote:Hmm, glad this thread didn't die completely before I discovered it.

"I was practically raised by cats"
I couldn't take the post too seriously after reading that xD

crystalclaw

#741 Post by crystalclaw »

xboxgamer969 wrote:I couldn't take the post too seriously after reading that xD
I don't blame you, but you'll note I didn't mean it literally :P

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#742 Post by SirJahar »

Welcome to the family. I always had an affinity for dogs, foxes, and especially wolves. I always blamed it on being born in the Year of the Dog, but that does not explain why I ran with it when I, at 13 years of age, stumbled into the dirty part of the fandom. That was when I began to research the fandom, and form my ideas into a whole. In High School, I came up with a plan for what I thought would be a better face for a fur suit, but I have never drafted it up, or had the resources to test it. I have no need for fur suits, for similar reason as you sighted. While I might be drawing a cartoon character on paper, I don't want to look like a joke when trying to portray that character.

I have several characters that I draw and write, but only one that I identify with/as, and thus I took my screen name from him. I took up growling for a while, but I could never get the tone I wanted with the volume needed to be intimidating. I just got looked at like I was weird, or patted on my head. Which landed me in the principle's office one time when I bit the guy's hand. Though I did let this one girl pet me, quite often.... I don't know why.

I think shame is a big factor in the fandom, since a lot of people turn to it to escape some problem they face in the real world. I actually live within 20 miles of Furry Fiesta, so for me not attending a convention is a matter of money. 2017, I swear.

If you have some ideas of what you want, I could offer a hand... I've got nothing else going.

Spaceman!
Traveler

#743 Post by Spaceman! »

More secretive. It is pretty obvious that I am a furry, since I am using this website and read the comic weekly. Honestly, the only people that know are in this website, as I am in a heavily Christian area, and since I am an atheist am one of the few furries in my area. I am very mild as a furry, more along the lines of reading webcomics and looking at the art, not going to cons or wearing fur-suits.
So, you think space is the final frontier? We have barely scratched the surface of anything, ever. We are impossibly small in this ever expanding universe. We mean nothing in the end. Make the most of what little you can do. :natani: :keith: :mike:

Hayate
The Hidden User

#744 Post by Hayate »

Hi, so I'm kinda confused, does reading and liking this comic make me a furry? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, I'm new here. I just really enjoy the comic and think the characters are great.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

midnightblink
Council Member

#745 Post by midnightblink »

Hayate wrote:Hi, so I'm kinda confused, does reading and liking this comic make me a furry? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, I'm new here. I just really enjoy the comic and think the characters are great.
Not at all. You can like Twokinds and not be a furry. Being a furry kind of just comes down to a general affinity towards anthropomorphic art, but just because you like a furry comic or movies with anthro characters, it doesn't always mean you're a furry.
Primum Non Nocere

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#746 Post by Dadrobit »

midnightblink wrote:
Hayate wrote:Hi, so I'm kinda confused, does reading and liking this comic make me a furry? Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, I'm new here. I just really enjoy the comic and think the characters are great.
Not at all. You can like Twokinds and not be a furry. Being a furry kind of just comes down to a general affinity towards anthropomorphic art, but just because you like a furry comic or movies with anthro characters, it doesn't always mean you're a furry.
Qft.

I don't identify as a fur either, even though I like anthro characters. Even Tom asserts that he's not, and he draws them for a living.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#747 Post by Hayate »

Ok thanks, I thought I was going through some kind of identity crisis and nobody told me.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

crystalclaw

#748 Post by crystalclaw »

SirJahar wrote:Welcome to the family. I always had an affinity for dogs, foxes, and especially wolves. I always blamed it on being born in the Year of the Dog, but that does not explain why I ran with it when I, at 13 years of age, stumbled into the dirty part of the fandom. That was when I began to research the fandom, and form my ideas into a whole. In High School, I came up with a plan for what I thought would be a better face for a fur suit, but I have never drafted it up, or had the resources to test it. I have no need for fur suits, for similar reason as you sighted. While I might be drawing a cartoon character on paper, I don't want to look like a joke when trying to portray that character.
Thanks. I've thought of several ideas for a better fursuit that I would actually wear too, but they all end up being in the multiple thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of effort :/
SirJahar wrote: I have several characters that I draw and write, but only one that I identify with/as, and thus I took my screen name from him. I took up growling for a while, but I could never get the tone I wanted with the volume needed to be intimidating. I just got looked at like I was weird, or patted on my head. Which landed me in the principle's office one time when I bit the guy's hand. Though I did let this one girl pet me, quite often.... I don't know why.

I think shame is a big factor in the fandom, since a lot of people turn to it to escape some problem they face in the real world. I actually live within 20 miles of Furry Fiesta, so for me not attending a convention is a matter of money. 2017, I swear.
Yeah, I think so too, shame is a big factor. Those of us who joined the furry fandom to join a social group don't want to be rejected or have it taken from us, so we hide it.
SirJahar wrote: If you have some ideas of what you want, I could offer a hand... I've got nothing else going.
Depends on what you mean by that. If you're offering a drawing, I'll take it; if so, pm me and I'll write up a description as best I can.

Butterscotch
Master

#749 Post by Butterscotch »

Well, I was introduced into the furry fandom by my girlfriend after we had been dating for 7 months. She drew me a fursona and I named it "Butterscotch Mocha" ( Because I like butterscotch, mocha and I'm Scottish) I doubt I'll get a fursuit even though I want one, because as far as I know, there aren't any fur conventions in Europe. Butterscotch is a dog FYI.
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#750 Post by The Rookie »

Butterscotch wrote:I doubt I'll get a fursuit even though I want one, because as far as I know, there aren't any fur conventions in Europe.
From memory (And I may be totally wrong on this since I sit on the fringe of this stuff) the largest convention in Europe occurs in Germany every year, and there's another one somewhere in Scandinavia (Sweden?).
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.