Christmas traditions anyone?

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

gangman5
Merchant

Christmas traditions anyone?

#1 Post by gangman5 »

Tis the season we celebrate the brith of baby jesus by catapultiung a fat guy in a red suit around the world in a sled powered by raindeer, to drop presents down chimneys like a stealth bomber.
and during this time of year, people often have traditions they follow. family gatherings, going to holiday homes or just doing soemthing fun.

Often, we hold a christmas lunch before going to a concert called "Te Puke christmas in the park" (in case your wondering, its a town in New Zealand and it's pronounced teh pu-ki, not teh puke XD ). Bands, food and dancing ensues. We have a summer christmas so it ain't cold over here (we get days up to 29 degrees celsius) and doesn't snow, so we have christmas BBQs and surfing as well.

You guys?

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

Re: Christmas traditions anyone?

#2 Post by Sage Asuka »

Our traditions have been growing over the years it seems. Which I cannot complain to. The obvious ones are decorating up our house and watching Christmas specials. Our tree is 'the collection of memories'. It has ornaments from when my parents first married and we add two new ones each year. There's a lot on there celebrating my and my sister's birth XD we also buy two small houses for our growing 'winter village display'.

As for Christmas Eve itself...we go out all night long. The first is always a small, outdoor area. Despite being surrounded by a busy street it's always really calm there. I usually say prayers of thanks and ask that the Lord bless us with another great year. Then we go to this light show. Then drive around neighborhoods and look at more lights. Then come home and watch A Christmas Carol. It's always tons of fun.
Image Image Image Image

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#3 Post by Sebbie »

Well, beside the obvious tree/decorating, when I was little, my dad taped some Disney Christmas special, and we've watched that every year ever since. Then when the Lord of the Rings came out and we bought the extended versions, we started watching them around Christmastime, and that's become a tradition too, I guess.

On Christmas Eve, we always have a party at my house, and my best friend and his family come over, among other people. Then on Christmas Day, we switch venues, and my family go to his family's house for round two of partying (and presents!). It's been like that as long as I can remember, and I love it :grin:
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

coal
Pumpkin Hunter

#4 Post by coal »

Making, baking, eating, ginger bread! |D
And some times gingerbread houses... Mmm...
And going up north to our grandparents, and actually eating fruitcake people give us... (whats up with fruitcake's bad rep?)

Sabourok
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Sabourok »

I traditionally celibrate my B-day on Christmas. But holiday related traditions, aside from the old christmas tree and egg nog, I got nuthin.

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#6 Post by Holy_458 »

My family has a few traditions, the biggest one being that the family has to be (mostly) all together on the big day.

But one tradition that we have never broken is when we watch "A wish for wings that work", a good movie with a great moral.
It's Opus!
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Schnopps »

Well my mom's birthday is on Christmas Eve so my sister and I always go out with her to a restaurant to celebrate on Christmas Eve night. In the morning we usually wake up at my mom's house, open presents, spend the morning together and so on. Then in the afternoon my sister and I go to our dad's house to have some lavish feast and open more presents and spend the day just loafing around. We used to set up the tree and hang the ornaments together but college put a cramp on that. Nothing extravagant I suppose.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#8 Post by Schrodinger »

My family has no unique Christmas traditions to speak of. It's just the normal Tree and decorations. The only time we don't is if we know we are going to visit our extended family. No sense putting up the tree and lights if you aren't there to enjoy them.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Scherzo
Merchant
Location: In front of my computer. Or maybe at the gym. Then again, I'm probably surfing the internet.

#9 Post by Scherzo »

Christmas usually involves my dad watching "A Christmas Story" over and over again while my mom bakes a honey-glazed ham to share with the extended family. We also usually have a plastic Christmas tree.

This year, though, we have my new baby cousin to worry about, so maybe things will be different.

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

#10 Post by supervanman64 »

We set up the tree after Thanksgiving, and then on Christmas, we open presents and then eat a home cooked meal. :kathrin:

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Verilidaine »

Well, every Christmas Eve we watched the 1984 version of A Christmas Carol (best one! ^^) and then my sister and I got to open one present.

We also always would drive up to the mountains and go hiking around in waist-deep snow for hours to find the perfect tree, which for my family, meant skinny and about 12 feet tall. :grin: We have a crochet white angel my grandma made for the top, and one branch is always dedicated to the Hallmark angel ornament series. We get the new one each year as a gift from family friends, in memory of my brother. My sister and I have to do all the ornaments, and we have a train that goes around the bottom of the tree and I can't remember Christmas without it.

Christmas morning I make Belgium waffles and eggs and bacon and we generally have champagne with pomegranate juice or mimosas or something. Then presents, music, relaxing, and cooking dinner.

This year is going to be all different and wrong, though, I'm really sad. (;_;)

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#12 Post by Sebbie »

Verilidaine wrote:This year is going to be all different and wrong, though, I'm really sad. (;_;)
How come?
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

The best part of Christmas I can think of is prime rib and Yorkshire pudding on Christmas Eve. Nom.
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Verilidaine »

Sebbie wrote:
Verilidaine wrote:This year is going to be all different and wrong, though, I'm really sad. (;_;)
How come?
Newly-divorced parents. The one still in possession of my childhood house is thinking of going away to visit his family for Christmas, which would leave it decoration-less and put my sister and me into an apartment with a plastic tree. Image

I guess we'll be developing new traditions now...

Ike1694
New Citizen

#15 Post by Ike1694 »

We put up the tree a week after thanks giving and we open presents for christmas. All the usual stuff that we do, nothing really special.