Smoking...

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

furryfanatic
Master

Smoking...

#1 Post by furryfanatic »

so basically i started smoking since about last Saturday and in that space i've had about 20 cigarettes.

i know it sounds cliche, but they're really awesome, especially as i am under a lot of stress at college and so far it only seems to do positive things to the quality of my work (grade B becomes A, C becomes B etc. (i can think straighter and get more work done))

given that, do i continue smoking and become addicted, or stop and allow my grades to be below what i should really be getting with a clear mind? (i.e. any other methods of relaxation after a hard day of college or advice)

inb4 insults and bad advice

P.S :natani: :natani: :natani:
Natani is friggin awesome :3

Sabourok
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Smoking...

#2 Post by Sabourok »

I honestly think it would be better if you found something else to help clear your mind. Smoking is detrimental to your health and will bite you in the (censor) farther down the line. And from what I've heard, once you start, quitting is extremely hard to do. I pose this question to you: is harming your health worth "improving" your grades when there is a possible better alternative?

Edit: For me, I usually just spend an hour a day either playing video games, reading a book I WANT to read or just thinking about anything but classes in order to help ease some stress off. Trust me, there are better alternatives. I have a disposition to get stressed out about things that aren't worth even thinking about. (this is true, my mom has the same problem and has to take anti-anxiety drugs)

furryfanatic
Master

#3 Post by furryfanatic »

Sabourok wrote:I honestly think it would be better if you found something else to help clear your mind. Smoking is detrimental to your health and will bite you in the (censor) farther down the line. And from what I've heard, once you start, quitting is extremely hard to do. I pose this question to you: is harming your health worth "improving" your grades when there is a possible better alternative?
well if i knew the alternative then no

:natani: :natani: :natani:

Edit: to your advice, i do often play games after school etc and watch TV but i dont get the same clear minded relaxation i do from cigarettes

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

#4 Post by KyeRaor »

Dude, I really think you need to stop the smoking now. It might relieve stress now but it's gonna affect you alot later on. There's gotta be something better that can help you relieve stress, but there has to be something that doesn't damage your body.

Quit now when it's easier than quitting later when it's harder.

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Verilidaine »

If cloves were still legal I'd say that if you must smoke something, smoke those. They're less addictive, so once you get what you need out of them, you can stop easier. Alas.

Do you think that the smoking will be worth it years from now when you're struggling with quitting? Did you go to high school health class? Do you know what smoking does to your lungs?

Can you try something else, like caffeine? That gives you a buzz and clears your head and won't do anything too bad other than superficial damage to your body (less restful sleep, for example, which doesn't have too many life-changing effects in the long run).

And, question: It's been less than a week. How do you actually know this is affecting your grades that much? And are you planning on going to grad school, or someplace where that A is really more important than that B?

furryfanatic
Master

#6 Post by furryfanatic »

Verilidaine wrote:If cloves were still legal I'd say that if you must smoke something, smoke those. They're less addictive, so once you get what you need out of them, you can stop easier. Alas.

Do you think that the smoking will be worth it years from now when you're struggling with quitting? Did you go to high school health class? Do you know what smoking does to your lungs?

Can you try something else, like caffeine? That gives you a buzz and clears your head and won't do anything too bad other than superficial damage to your body (less restful sleep, for example, which doesn't have too many life-changing effects in the long run).

And, question: It's been less than a week. How do you actually know this is affecting your grades that much? And are you planning on going to grad school, or someplace where that A is really more important than that B?
I already have so much caffeine to the point that drinking it does nothing O.o

and yes i NEED the grades; i plan to study Law at University in Northern Ireland which has the most prestigious law school in the UK

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#7 Post by Sage Asuka »

Okay, you know what...here's my take on it. You only think that smoking is helping you. As in, it's all in your head. A false delusion perhaps. Sort of like how people believe in lucky clothing or jewelry even though there's scientifically no basis besides a stronger belief from the person pushing themselves harder and crediting the object instead of their own hard work.

Either way, I would definitely recommend quitting. Speaking from experience, my dad's a heavy smoker who started back at 18 years old. Growing up with him as a smoker, I've wished for nothing more than him stopping. It's only made his life more stressful in his older age. And he's terrifying when he doesn't have a cigarette. You may deny it now, but it is HARD for some people to quit. For my dad...it's pretty near impossible as much as I hate to say it. He's even gone so far as to blame me for not quitting which really hurts. Seriously, smoking will screw with you. He was a bright student with amazing grades in school...now he can't even stay focused for longer than 5 minutes to do the simplist math. Oh, and did I mention he was in a high paying job but because of the damage he took from smoking and alcohol is now only capable of being a truck driver? He doesn't even make sense now. Half the stuff he does or says is illogical. Thanks to his brain damage we went from living a rather comfortable life to now living paycheck by paycheck. I'm in college purely due to scholarships. And a lot of health issues are going ignored because he NEEDS to buy cigarettes before treating my mom's skin cancer and paying off my sister's necessary medications. But enough of that.

Dude, try meditation or deep breathing. I learned a long time ago that it's often the reason why people who smoke feel like it helps them. You're breathing deeply and putting yourself in a mindset of calm. But meditation is free and doesn't have nasty side effects down the road or a nicotine addiction.
Image Image Image Image

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#8 Post by Holy_458 »

furryfanatic wrote:I already have so much caffeine to the point that drinking it does nothing O.o
I'm sorry but, this is where I step in.

First: *smacks furryfanatic upside the head* If you reached the point were drinking something caffeinated “does nothing” then that means you have doing an overconsumption over a long period of time. Caffeine is a stimulant, if you take too much of it, your body becomes dependant and it will have a weaker impact on you. Worst case scenario: You need caffeine just to perform at a NORMAL level.

If you reached a point like that with something as mellow as caffeine, then to be honest I wouldn’t trust you anywhere near a box of sigs. If you need something to clear your head, try exercise. Jogging is good, it clears your head, is good for your lungs, and it gets you out side were there (sadly) is less air pollution.

But if you really need to clear your mind that bad, why don’t you find a flat surface and try beating you head against it?
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

furryfanatic
Master

#9 Post by furryfanatic »

Sage Asuka wrote:Okay, you know what...here's my take on it. You only think that smoking is helping you. As in, it's all in your head. A false delusion perhaps. Sort of like how people believe in lucky clothing or jewelry even though there's scientifically no basis besides a stronger belief from the person pushing themselves harder and crediting the object instead of their own hard work.

Either way, I would definitely recommend quitting. Speaking from experience, my dad's a heavy smoker who started back at 18 years old. Growing up with him as a smoker, I've wished for nothing more than him stopping. It's only made his life more stressful in his older age. And he's terrifying when he doesn't have a cigarette. You may deny it now, but it is HARD for some people to quit. For my dad...it's pretty near impossible as much as I hate to say it. He's even gone so far as to blame me for not quitting which really hurts. Seriously, smoking will screw with you. He was a bright student with amazing grades in school...now he can't even stay focused for longer than 5 minutes to do the simplist math. Oh, and did I mention he was in a high paying job but because of the damage he took from smoking and alcohol is now only capable of being a truck driver? He doesn't even make sense now. Half the stuff he does or says is illogical. Thanks to his brain damage we went from living a rather comfortable life to now living paycheck by paycheck. I'm in college purely due to scholarships. And a lot of health issues are going ignored because he NEEDS to buy cigarettes before treating my mom's skin cancer and paying off my sister's necessary medications. But enough of that.

Dude, try meditation or deep breathing. I learned a long time ago that it's often the reason why people who smoke feel like it helps them. You're breathing deeply and putting yourself in a mindset of calm. But meditation is free and doesn't have nasty side effects down the road or a nicotine addiction.
very strong point. however, you mentioned Alcohol as one of your fathers downfalls (most likely cause of the brain damage). this being said im a tee-totaller after a rather promiscuous night but 3 weeks ago due to alcohol; long story short, im a guy who dislikes humans in a sexual way and even if i did, i'd choose women, yet i still made out with my male best friend on 3 occasions and with my female friend i did much more...

anyways back to topic, i still understand the health risks with cigarettes, but as you say i THINK it helps and it does, why stop? why not moderate it to as far an extent as possible? perhaps, i should simply have a cigarette only when neccessary, i.e. before exams or before doing important school work?

:natani: :natani: :natani:
Holy_458 wrote: I'm sorry but, this is where I step in.

First: *smacks furryfanatic upside the head* If you reached the point were drinking something caffeinated “does nothing” then that means you have doing an overconsumption over a long period of time. Caffeine is a stimulant, if you take too much of it, your body becomes dependant and it will have a weaker impact on you. Worst case scenario: You need caffeine just to perform at a NORMAL level.

If you reached a point like that with something as mellow as caffeine, then to be honest I wouldn’t trust you anywhere near a box of sigs. If you need something to clear your head, try exercise. Jogging is good, it clears your head, is good for your lungs, and it gets you out side were there (sadly) is less air pollution.

But if you really need to clear your mind that bad, why don’t you find a flat surface and try beating you head against it?
i never drank caffeine for the buzz only the taste of the drinks which i like in the same way perhaps people would like cola, ive gone 2 weeks without caffeine at times and it has no effect :/ i can easily quit caffeine no problems.

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#10 Post by Sage Asuka »

furryfanatic wrote: anyways back to topic, i still understand the health risks with cigarettes, but as you say i THINK it helps and it does, why stop? why not moderate it to as far an extent as possible? perhaps, i should simply have a cigarette only when neccessary, i.e. before exams or before doing important school work?
*facepalm* Stop, because the long term effects are terrible on you. You can achieve the same effect with THINKING about something else less destructive to yourself being a help or MEDITATION. Even Holy's advice of excersize is good. There are so many healthier ways you can achieve 'focus'. Don't stick with cigs. Branch out to other things.

Plus, I'm sure you're worrying a friend of yours with your actions :< I know that if I EVER found out that one of my friends started smoking I'd slap them.

Please, just...don't smoke alright?
Image Image Image Image

Sabourok
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Sabourok »

From what I can see so far, you're just trying to defend your soon to be developed smoking habbit instead of listening to advice, reason and other's past experience. I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but if that really is what you are doing (whether you are aware of it or not) then there is no hope in convincing you to use better alternatives. And you spoke of moderation. TWENTY in the span of six days. I do not believe that you have an exam or class every day three times a day. Now I'd buy what you said about moderation if you had like five over the last six days, but one each morning noon and night? (don't quote me on times, I'm just assuming there are equal time spans between each one) As far as I can tell, you are already addicted. Good luck, I hope farther down the line you don't have any regrets when it all comes back to bite ya.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#12 Post by FastChapter »

Smoking addictions begin after the first cigarette. It causes various forms of debilitating and lethal cancers, reduces the oxygen intake from your lungs and becomes a constant crutch for daily activities.

Stop smoking. Your health is paramount and shouldn't play second fiddle to your grades. You're more than capable of getting A's in your courses without cigarettes. If your grades are this important to you, you need to consider shaving other distractions from your daily routine and spend more time studying. Your ability to learn is limited only by your willingness to buckle down and put your nose to the grindstone.

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#13 Post by Holy_458 »

furryfanatic wrote: i still understand the health risks with cigarettes, but as you say i THINK it helps and it does, why stop? why not moderate it to as far an extent as possible? perhaps, i should simply have a cigarette only when neccessary, i.e. before exams or before doing important school work?
The point is that YOUR DIGGING YOURSELF INTO A HOLE. If it’s a mental thing, then you don’t need them, they are bad, stop using them. If you need the same feel of a cigarette without the health risk, try picking up some herbal cigarettes.
furryfanatic wrote:i never drank caffeine for the buzz only the taste of the drinks which i like in the same way perhaps people would like cola, ive gone 2 weeks without caffeine at times and it has no effect :/ i can easily quit caffeine no problems.
Dude, everyone “just drinks it for the taste” if the drink didn’t taste good, we wouldn’t drink it. Do you know how caffeine works? It’s a drug that works itself in your brain. The first thing it does is it goes to the part of your brain that tells your body “I feel tired” and it blocks it off. It then stimulates the rest of the brain. Depending upon how much you drink will effect the length of the effects and how long you get stimulated. The “buzz” that people get is what happens when you have too much; it’s an overstimulation and puts you pretty far down the hole. Another thing you may not have known is that it takes about one hour and a half for caffeine to be processed by your body, hit the bloodstream, and then reach your brain. Chances are you’re not giving it time and just think “oh this doesn’t do anything for me”

Even then, you should NEVER become dependant on something like a drug to get you through life. Ever. You pulling up your grades prooved that you can do it. Not some sticks that just make you smell like [censored].
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

Keklily
Apprentice

#14 Post by Keklily »

Sage Asuka wrote:Dude, try meditation or deep breathing. I learned a long time ago that it's often the reason why people who smoke feel like it helps them. You're breathing deeply and putting yourself in a mindset of calm. But meditation is free and doesn't have nasty side effects down the road or a nicotine addiction.
I MOST agree with Sage Asuka!

Dude you can do some chores like washing the dishes, manually wash clothes, mow the lawn! or as Sage Asuka says Meditate, Slowly count to a hundred while doing deep beathing at the same time, if that dosent work there are many relaxation CDs that goes under 15£ which is very good! I use to bake cookies and cakes just for relaxation then give it to my neighbours!

One of my neighbours even asked me to make her "Wedding Cake" for her! Which was two days work but I got 1000 swedish (~85£) for it!

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#15 Post by FastChapter »

furryfanatic wrote: i still understand the health risks with cigarettes, but as you say i THINK it helps and it does, why stop? why not moderate it to as far an extent as possible? perhaps, i should simply have a cigarette only when neccessary, i.e. before exams or before doing important school work?
You're giving yourself the illusion that you're in control of an addiction. By definition, addictions are not something you can brush aside or save for later. Your brain's chemistry will demand nicotine whether you know its lethal or not, and ask any smoker who has tried to quit; you deny your body something it thinks it needs, and your body will make you feel like [censored] until you give it what it wants. Addictions aren't something you can control by writing down your ground rules on a forum.

There is no positive outcome from smoking. Any benefits you may feel you get from it are wholly and undeniably outweighed by the immense health hazard you're walking into by continuing the habit. This may seem like an easy fix to a problem you have, but the fact that you're here asking us for advice shows that you haven't thought this through rationally.

Stop smoking. That stick isn't worth decades of your life.