What made you smile today? Round 2!

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: What made you smile today? Round 2!

#33886 Post by Bellhead »

First post from the new computer! It boots! It's a full 10 years newer than the machine I've been using, but it's still over 10 years old...

But I went from a Pentium D to an i7, so there's that...

Oh. And somewhere between the rat's nest of wiring I have behind these things, and the cluster of hardware older than some of my family, there's a ground loop somewhere causing a buzzing noise. I blame Windows 10. Never happened with XP. Durr duh durr. :roll:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#33887 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So was watching old resident evil videos when out of the deepest recesses of my memory i remembered a certain animation i used to really like back in the day

Resident evil musical (Warning Flashing lights)

i probably saw that video over a hundred of times while I was on high school. And seems i cannot watch it without a stupid huge grin on my face

This is basically early 2000 internet and I love it. It is a shame that the corporate surveillance internet we got now did not favored animators like Ms Leggy.

But it puts a smile on my face to see this kind of stuff again
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#33888 Post by Spazoid »

Just recovered from working the first large regional fencing event I've done in several years. We took over the 3rd floor ballrooms at the Anaheim Convo Center (and with all the spaces open, you could legit play a football game in there...it's freaking HUGE). 4 armorers for 1500-ish competitors. Setup was a bear (but it always is), but the work was manageable and I got to work with some good people, including one who was the US team armorer for the Jr World Champs in Cairo a couple of months ago.

I'd forgotten how hard 16 hour days are on you...Setup was Friday, then events and teardown through Monday evening. I pretty much slept all of Tuesday!

One of my clients 3D printed a neat little tool that I may end up putting into my sales inventory once some tweaks are worked in....AND he won his A rating in epee (think black belt in traditional martial arts) in his first event on Day One (Jr epee -- under 20 years in age), defended it with a WIN in his 2nd on Day Two (Cadet epee -- under 17), and placed 15th out of 83 in his last event (Div 1A epee...anyone over 13 with certain other qualifications) in a VERY tough field on Day Three.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33889 Post by Bellhead »

WZLX wrote:We'd like to say it's all natural. But we're pretty sure some chemicals were involved.
Followed not too long after by,
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young wrote:And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,
turning into butterflies above our nation.
We are stardust.
This just came over my radio. My day is instantly better.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#33890 Post by Dadrobit »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:09 pm
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young wrote:And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,
turning into butterflies above our nation.
We are stardust.
This just came over my radio. My day is instantly better.
Welcome to Night Vale vibes here!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33891 Post by Bellhead »

I helped a stranger today.

I was on my way to run an errand, and saw a guy changing a tire on a minivan on the side of the road. Finished my errand, and the guy had moved into a parking lot, having trouble with a few of the lug nuts, so I stopped to help. It turns out the factory tire iron for a Toyota Sienna is bent at an angle closer to 135 degrees than the typical 100 or so, and with a 3" offset from the socket end to the bend, making it almost impossible to use on tight lug nuts. So I relayed home and back with a proper star wrench, and had him on his way in a matter of minutes.

He was quite thankful for the help, and I was more than willing to do it, since I have the time, know-how and tools to help a passerby change a tire without it ruining my day. And if I can do in 5 minutes, what would have taken several other people a few hours and maybe a tow truck to do, I'd call that worth it.

Spazoid
New Citizen

#33892 Post by Spazoid »

My father's house finally sold and is in escrow! We may be able to buy a larger place and move out of our 1 bed apartent now!

Edit....nope....sale fell through (see sad rant thread)

Spazoid
New Citizen

#33893 Post by Spazoid »

Just got hired to work my first national fencing event since 2015!

Now I just have to book my flight to Salt Lake City.

Spazoid
New Citizen

#33894 Post by Spazoid »

At the Olympics....US men's foil team beats Germany to make it to the semis. I know one of the competitors....remember him as a middle-schooler in our local scholastic league...and have done armory work for his father, who owns the club he started out in.

He was subbed out after his first bout in the team event and cannot be subbed back in, but if the team medals, he gets one!

Update: They got beat by Russia in the semis, but beat Japan for the bronze. I would've preferred gold or silver, but I'll take the bronze over nothing!

Congrats to the US Men's Foil Team! Gerek Meinhardt, Alex Massialis, Race Imboden, and first-time Olympic medalist Nick Itkin!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#33895 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do not usually do this but I think this is an appropriate situation for a little outburst. i do not really have anywhere else to put this.
Apologies in advance
Spoiler! Language
A huevo primer dosis de Pfizer. Viva México cabrones y chingue su madre el América!
:flora: :trace: :maren: :adira: :maeve: :mike: :eric: :kathrin: :reni: :raine: :raine: :raine: :raine:
sorry Got my first Pfizer dose today yay! :raine:

please don't ban me mods
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33896 Post by Bellhead »

So, a week or two ago, somebody managed to be stupid enough to get out of a car that was in Drive, and it drove into the automatic door right next to my bay. After a week of having to drive backward through the whole shop to get cars into my bay, I finally cracked and started bugging my boss about letting me mess with it, to get the door working again. Then we found out that the panel that got bent was on back-order, and wouldn't be in for about a month. Yeah, no.

After much deliberation, contemplation, and risk evaluation, his eventual response was, "Just don't make it worse."

Well, I am pleased (probably too much so) to report that the door is currently perfectly functional, and back in regular service, thanks to my ability to use tie-down straps, a drill, and a sledgehammer. Oh, and we took the panel outside and hit it with the plow truck a few times to straighten it out.

BUT IT WORKED!!

Screw you, common sense. NOBODY can stop MY stupidity. 8)

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#33897 Post by Tornir »

Congratulations. :)
What state was the idiots car in after they did that?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33898 Post by Bellhead »

Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 pm Congratulations. :)
Oh, that's the kicker. It was an employee, driving a customer's car. I haven't seen the car, but I do know they traded in. MINUTES before the hit.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#33899 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 pm
Oh, that's the kicker. It was an employee, driving a customer's car. I haven't seen the car, but I do know they traded in. MINUTES before the hit.
I am surprised your employers seem to have a hard time hiring good workers. Besides you seems everyone else is not quite capable.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33900 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm
Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 pm
I am surprised your employers seem to have a hard time hiring good workers. Besides you seems everyone else is not quite capable.
I wouldn't say that. Most of the people there are decent workers, and anyone who spends a decent amount of time in the shop is generally well aware of how to be safe and not stupid. That said, and I can say this with absolute certainty, there was a Salesperson involved, and this happened after closing time. That, and Sales has the fastest turnover rate of any department, by FAR. Officially, we blame the sales guy for what happened, but we're still gonna tease the girl in cleanup.

And anyway, mistakes are made, and accidents happen. And management (or at least, our manager) is well aware of that. She's not the first to hit a door, or damage a car in doing so, and she won't be the last. Even I did, at one point. She's been there for quite a while, too, so more than likely, having the rest of us make fun of her for it is probably the worst she's gonna get from it. If people got fired for their first dumb mistake, NONE of us would have a job. Certainly doesn't make you less nervous when something happens, though...

Just to prove we're still on topic, being able to say this about my workplace makes me happy. Also, the door is still working, and I'm pretty darn proud of that.