What made you smile today? Round 2!

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: What made you smile today? Round 2!

#33856 Post by Bellhead »

Sorry I don't have a link ready, but the latest Spacex Starship launch was about as successful as they could ever have hoped for, and the explosion was absolutely beautiful!

To be fair, they hit every box except "land without exploding", including "turn the rocket sideways" and "control the descent without thrust using control surfaces", neither of which had ever even been attempted before. They even managed to hit the center of the landing pad. Very cool. Much amaze.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#33857 Post by Yastreb »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:21 pm Started a new NF streak, feeling good about this one.

I don’t know why y’all would care but hey there you go.
Sorry but what is NF? Hopefully not necrotizing fasciitis. Or neurofibromatosis, for that matter. Norfolk Island? Nitrogen monofluoride?

Warrl
Grand Templar

#33858 Post by Warrl »

Yastreb wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 am Nitrogen monofluoride?
I'll stay here you go over there... further... further... yeah, further... another thousand miles or so should do... maybe...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33859 Post by Bellhead »

Found this little gem while googling "Massachusetts Memes".

I kid you not. I used to live in that town. My first job was a half mile from there. And yes, that was a real thing that happened.
Spoiler! Size
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#33860 Post by Neutral Smith »

My computer is still worthy :)

Still better than more than half of the others.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33861 Post by Bellhead »

Merry Christmas, forumites! Even if you don't celebrate it. And on that note...

My sister and I may or may not have started a new tradition this year, what with everything happening. We watched 4 episodes of Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai together on Hulu while communicating over IRC. And it worked really well! Having communications be almost completely lag free, even with a text-based medium, makes things surprisingly easy. I mean, Discord, Zoom.. Even texting or an actual phone call has noticeable lag, but IRC? Instant. It was fun, commenting in real time with text instead of voice. Added a bit of nostalgia, back to a time when video chats took more bandwidth than most businesses needed. Really made me smile.

I also may have gotten her hooked on my favorite show, probably of all time. So there's that.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#33862 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well Merry Christmas too!

AS I may have mentioned before I am definitely a Christmas person, and despite this years celebrations being scaled back because the pandemic at least we we got Bethlehem star this year well which is as christmassys as it can get. Well technically Jupiter and Saturn are not the fabled star but it is still very pretty almost Christmas gift.

I have a telescope so have some pictures, my cellphone honestly does not do justice to the event, my primary mirror really needs a clean up and I am a terrible photographer. But I hope you can enjoy them as much as I did taking them:
Spoiler!
For convenience and ease of viewing have the imgur link. There are more pictures there.

Again Merry Christmas and happy 2021.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tetrahedron
Merchant

#33863 Post by Tetrahedron »

Well...
is the same konjugation 7bc not supposed to be Bethlehem star? Or the inspiration for it?

Yastreb
Apprentice

#33864 Post by Yastreb »

Tetrahedron wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:16 am Well...
is the same konjugation 7bc not supposed to be Bethlehem star? Or the inspiration for it?
That is one possible explanation, though in the 7 BCE conjunctions Jupiter and Saturn were almost a degree apart, so not nearly as close as this year.

It is nice to hear other people were able to see the conjunction. Over here we had complete cloud covering until yesterday. :(

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#33865 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well it may be. At some point it was considered that the event happened around the time frame and it could have been the Bethlehem star. However further research shows that it was not close enough to look like a single body and it was largely dismissed by astronomers at the time.
Yastreb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:43 am
That is one possible explanation, though in the 7 BCE conjunctions Jupiter and Saturn were almost a degree apart, so not nearly as close as this year.

It is nice to hear other people were able to see the conjunction. Over here we had complete cloud covering until yesterday. :(
Even know. They looked like distinct objects even at plain sight. They were indeed very close, relatively, but you could tell them apart easily with no special equipment.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Yastreb
Apprentice

#33866 Post by Yastreb »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 pm
Yastreb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:43 am

Even know. They looked like distinct objects even at plain sight. They were indeed very close, relatively, but you could tell them apart easily with no special equipment.
The Bible was not written by astronomers. It is possible that it could call a notable phenomenon in the night sky a "star", even if it doesn't quite look like one. After all the word comet comes from Ancient Greek for "long-haired star", and comets look nothing like stars.

Tetrahedron
Merchant

#33867 Post by Tetrahedron »

Happy new year everybody!

Nice discussion about astronomical events.
:)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#33868 Post by Bellhead »

I helped somebody from the sales department today. Literally asked myself at one point, "Why does the entire sales department have the collective intelligence of a [censored] potato?"

That thought had me in good spirits for hours, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

#33869 Post by Chicken Man »

:potatoes:

Not spam but quite literally the emoji. A sack of potaotoes. Why?

Lmao
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.

MusicBox
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#33870 Post by MusicBox »

I said the f word I'm so fricking cool