A Reasonable Price Point

If you want to influence the new book, make your suggestions here.

Moderator: Moderators

casterclass
Templar Master

#31 Post by casterclass »

personally I'd like to get as much as I can in one shot I mean it will all come out eventually anyways may as well grab as much as we can as early as we can
"Wake up Mr. Freeman... Wake up... and smell the ashes"

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#32 Post by Tuna »

casterclass wrote:personally I'd like to get as much as I can in one shot I mean it will all come out eventually anyways may as well grab as much as we can as early as we can
Why?
O.o

casterclass
Templar Master

#33 Post by casterclass »

because for example, I'd rather have 6 books that cost 40 then 12 that cost 20

I mean when it all comes down to it you'll eventually be paying roughly the same thing anyways it will just be a different distribution of content

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#34 Post by CrRAR »

casterclass wrote:because for example, I'd rather have 6 books that cost 40 then 12 that cost 20

I mean when it all comes down to it you'll eventually be paying roughly the same thing anyways it will just be a different distribution of content
I don't know if that is 100% accurate...Tom has already stated what comic content is to be included:
It will contain the first three chapters, a 2-page spread, a glossary, and a minicomic series.
He has not stated that the 120-page book is to contain more chapters...just more extras perhaps?

I would really like to see extra content...sketches, unreleased comics, commentary...etc...
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#35 Post by Tuna »

Usually more books = more extra content...

But yeah, fewer books = less to pay in shipping too...
:3

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#36 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Well, you could always take a copy of your file and upload it to one of these print-on-demand services - Sell it for $30 or something like that. It doesn't cost you a cent to do that, and then when anyone buys it, you get payed.
Sure, the overhead would be a bit more, but it means you don't have to do shipping, and don't have to put up a cent to get it published.

Then you have more time to do an actual print run, if that is what you decide.

Also, it might be nice to be able to buy a PDF/high-quality JPEG version, that you can print on your own printer, or read off your screen. This could be sold for less($10 perhaps?), as again, it wouldn't cost you anything to do.

I personally would like multiple options for all budgets and tastes, and, as long as you can use print-on-demand for these, I see no reason not to.

-RobbieThe1st

Bluegrizzly

#37 Post by Bluegrizzly »

I think the $20 deal is perfect I would by that in a sec when it came out.

Kitten
Templar Master

#38 Post by Kitten »

I'd go with the $20 Tom :3
Yes. That 'squee' you heard, was Kitten.
Much much love towards Tom!
I log in every day, I just kinda lurk the boards ^^;

casterclass
Templar Master

#39 Post by casterclass »

Personally I like the variety of choices... that way if you have more to spend you can and if you dont there will still be something there for you

Senix

#40 Post by Senix »

casterclass wrote:Personally I like the variety of choices... that way if you have more to spend you can and if you dont there will still be something there for you
Ditto
|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#41 Post by avwolf »

I don't know how salient this is to the point, but have you considered doing signed or sketch editions of the book, Tom? I don't know how much more effort something like that would be, but it'd let you get a bit more margin out of those of us with deeper pockets.

(I'm in the position of saying, "name your price." $20: great, $30: no problem, $50: sign me up, $100...Well, for $100, I'd hope for commentary and a nice sketch of Natani in the back, lounging over a divan with nothing but a negligee and a glass of merlot, but given those things, I'd still leap at it. :))

Tom
The Artist

#42 Post by Tom »

Here's an update:

It's looking more and more like the book is going to end up costing $19.99. I tried to reduce the price, but it's really a trade-off between page-count and cost. A $14.99 book would inevitably be too thin. So, the book right now almost certainly going to be $19.99.

However, the book is looking quite good. I hope that people will feel it's worth it. I'm putting a ridiculous amount of work into it, with every single page in the book digitally enhanced with updated backgrounds and cleaned-up line art. There will be a subtle but noticeable difference between the book version and the online version.
avwolf wrote:I don't know how salient this is to the point, but have you considered doing signed or sketch editions of the book, Tom? I don't know how much more effort something like that would be, but it'd let you get a bit more margin out of those of us with deeper pockets.
Actually, in order to pay for the books, I'm going to have to take preorders. It's simply the only way I could ever afford it myself, since this first run is being self-published. Because of this, however, it means that all the books will be running by me personally. So, as an incentive, I will be signing and sketching in the books for anyone who preorders the first edition.

Fatalcrash
Master
Location: Singapore, which contrary to popular belief is not actually part of China.

#43 Post by Fatalcrash »

Is there any way I could get someone to ship it to me?

"The worst perdition known to man is that which is self-imposed."
--Captain Dylan Rhys

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#44 Post by Sable Dove »

The price sounds just fine to me, but it'd be nice to know how it will be shipped, and how much more shipping may cost for people outside of the States.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#45 Post by Tuna »

Signed AND sketched? Sign me up!
:o