A Reasonable Price Point

If you want to influence the new book, make your suggestions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#16 Post by Nuff »

$20 seems a good price to me...but being in the UK...how much is it going to cost me?

Graham
Grand Templar

#17 Post by Graham »

That price does seem a little expensive compared to a lot of other options out there. However -
Sorry for the late input, but I must insist that you find a way to lower the price, not because I'm stingy (though I am a little), but because it would never sell. The most expensive webcomic not considerably larger than yours was $15 for 80 pages (though you might be counting both sides as one page while they count each side as a page or vice-versa) and $15.80 for an unknown number. Inverloch started at $14.99 for 160, and there are ones as large for under $10.
Maybe you might look into those webcomics and how they got published. Might be they found a way to do it cheaper.

*Edit*
$20 seems a good price to me...but being in the UK...how much is it going to cost me?
Not sure about Euros, but I know 2 USD = 1 British pound. If that helps at all.
“Kill if you must, but never hate: Man is but grass and hate is blight, The sun will scorch you soon or late, Die wholesome then, since you must fight.” -Robert Graves

Tom
The Artist

#18 Post by Tom »

Since 20 dollars does seem a bit too high, the comic's price has been changed to $14.99. Hope that's reasonable enough. Had to move things around a bit and it eats into my profit, but I don't mind.

It's true, the difference between me and other webcomics like Inverloch is that I do not have a publisher yet, and until I do, it isn't feasible for me to price my books like the other comics. But I will be searching for a publisher. If I find one, I'll have the price updated accordingly. :)

Graham
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Graham »

I'd have bought it either way. It *is* true that most people who want your book wont see five bucks as a big difference. But there are a lot of browsers who would probably just chose a different book over yours because of price. Lowering it would probably gain you a healthy amount more sales. I wouldn't worry to much about how it will sell though. From what I witnessed back home, new series like this in book form are just eaten up.

Nobody works really hard for years for nothing. It always comes back around.
“Kill if you must, but never hate: Man is but grass and hate is blight, The sun will scorch you soon or late, Die wholesome then, since you must fight.” -Robert Graves

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#20 Post by Tuna »

I think that some are forgetting that Tom is planning on printing the book in color, which is more expensive...
Most comics print their books in B&W (Megatokyo being a prime example), so of course their price point will be lower...

You get what you pay for.
:3

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#21 Post by Nuff »

Graham wrote:
Not sure about Euros, but I know 2 USD = 1 British pound. If that helps at all.
Oh yeah I know the exchange rate is around that I was thinking more of the cost for it to get sent across the pond

jdog16
New Citizen

#22 Post by jdog16 »

Tom wrote:Since 20 dollars does seem a bit too high, the comic's price has been changed to $14.99. Hope that's reasonable enough. Had to move things around a bit and it eats into my profit, but I don't mind.

It's true, the difference between me and other webcomics like Inverloch is that I do not have a publisher yet, and until I do, it isn't feasible for me to price my books like the other comics. But I will be searching for a publisher. If I find one, I'll have the price updated accordingly. :)
Eh, I still prefer the 25 dollar option, but it's your book, after all. I'll still pick it up. :)

Tails47
Traveler

#23 Post by Tails47 »

I would go with $20ish since its colored ^_^ Then again, anyone know how much it costs to ship something to Hawaii?
"Life is not measured by the numbered of breaths we take... But by the number of times that take our breath away..."

Scalfin2000
Traveler

#24 Post by Scalfin2000 »

How many shades of grey can you reduce to, because the Kindle has four?

squird5

#25 Post by squird5 »

Tails47 wrote:I would go with $20ish since its colored ^_^ Then again, anyone know how much it costs to ship something to Hawaii?
I think its only a dollar or two... cant be much more than that
Scalfin2000 wrote:How many shades of grey can you reduce to, because the Kindle has four?
And I thought it's color, most of us will buy color

And it being in color might get people to buy it at the comic store...

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#26 Post by CrRAR »

Glad to hear things are moving along Tom...

Referencing your original price points, where you listed a 120-page book for $25, I would have to say that $5 more is worth it for 32 more pages...

...I would be really interested in the extra content. Though I'm a bit concerned as to what exactly would fill the pages. Would it be behind-the-scenes stuff? Perhaps artist's commentary? Other exclusive art? I know at least Mini-Kinds is to be included...

Is it possible that by you 'moving things around' that you could release a 120-page compilation at $18.75; or perhaps $20.00? However, I wouldn't mind spending 20-25 dollars on a 120-page book...At least I could sleep better at night knowing that I contributed to an independent artist...

I don't know if you've kept your eyes peeled, but recently Roosterteeth dove into the graphic novel foray with their Year One Comic Book...I know they are a larger operation than you and have more money to 'play' with but they are able to produce a 192-page color book and sell at 16.95...I do not expect you to compete price or size-wise...but perhaps you could look into their method...

Do they have a publisher?
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

InSaneTK

#27 Post by InSaneTK »

20-30$ would be good. :P But i'd pay 45$ if i had to lololololool.
Hate never gives love.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#28 Post by CrRAR »

InSaneTK wrote:20-30$ would be good. :P But i'd pay 45$ if i had to lololololool.
That's why you're insane, TK...

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind spending the $25...
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

~AWOL~ Elendil

#29 Post by ~AWOL~ Elendil »

you might consider doing the $15 copy as a main print, and then a (VERY) limited number of the $25 ones.
I predict that Halo 3 will be the end of the world and/or Civilization

Click here

zhimoda
Ringtail Foxie

#30 Post by zhimoda »

All honesty I'd just be happy having a copy, 25 is more than reasonable to me.