Two Power Supplies

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Re: Two Power Supplies

#1 Post by aj »

Technically, it should be fine - assuming that both of them are good quality PSUs. Both together would probably supply enough power (in terms of wattage).

Personally I wouldn't do it though - I don't know enough about how the graphics card work with the motherboard to say for sure - there is obviously some current coming from the motherboard since some graphics cards are powered solely from the motherboard, and I'm not sure if giving the graphics card 2 differing currents might kill it (there will invariably be some variation between the current and voltage provided by the 2 different PSUs). Or it could be that where your graphics card is powered by the PSU, it doesn't draw current from the motherboard.

Summary: Should be possible, but only attempt if you really need the graphics card, and even then you run the risk of killing the card. I'd say just replace the card with your old card until you get a new PSU.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#2 Post by avwolf »

The biggest problem you're going to face is a difference in grounds. You might be able to ground the PSUs together, but if you don't do that, the subtle difference in voltage between the two grounds could fry components. I'm also not really sure how well this would work in principle; I'm just not sure how much of the power draw is split between the secondary connector and the data bus itself.

enzia35
Master

#3 Post by enzia35 »

Why not just a new powersupply? They're not all that expensive (~100 for a decent one from Corsair) and much more efficient. And then there's more power available if upgrades are warrented down the line.

JUSTANOTHERBOTMAN

#4 Post by JUSTANOTHERBOTMAN »

The power of Google directed me to this. Apparently it IS possible, though I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/15751-inf ... power.html