Windows Update

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Windows Update

#1 Post by FastChapter »

Alright, so maybe turning off Windows Update for... June, July, August, September, October, November... six months was not a smart thing to do. I figured this morning, hey, I've got the day off and nothing to do but laundry and messing around with my boyfriend. Why don't I have my computer run all my updates today while I'm out screwing around?

I had 105 updates pending, figured it would take a good four-five hours. Woohoo, good thing I did this on a day off!

I come back home tonight, and it's just reaching the 99% mark. After ten hours. And now it's installing them!

(O_O) Why God, why!?

Small tidbit: Windows checks for NVidea updates too. I thought I was all up to date since the beginning of this month, but I found out about five minutes ago that was a wrong assumption. Monitor shut off, turned on all huge-pixel like, turned off... thought my computer was [censored] viruses for a moment until it went back to normal with a handy "NVidea drivers up-to-date!" message.

Damn you, sneaky updates... damn you.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Windows Update

#2 Post by SpeedFreak »

Thanks for the warning...now I know not to turn it off....not like i usually do...question..why did you turn it off?
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#3 Post by FastChapter »

I turn it off because it eats up my bandwidth every time it tries searching for updates. Granted, I can just as easily set a schedule for it when I'm normally not at my computer, but I'm stubborn, :)

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by SpeedFreak »

FastChapter wrote:I turn it off because it eats up my bandwidth every time it tries searching for updates. Granted, I can just as easily set a schedule for it when I'm normally not at my computer, but I'm stubborn, :)
haha ok :) Yea it eating up bandwidth can be annoying.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#5 Post by FastChapter »

Especially when you're playing UT2004 and suddenly your Hellbender is falling off the edge of oblivion, thanks to Windows thinking you need to have a better Chinese script.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#6 Post by Ashpool »

xD I have mine set up to scan for them, but not to download or install them without my permission. It works well enough, and doesn't chew up too much bandwidth.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

I'm with DK. It means I don't forget to run them, but it also doesn't choose wholly inappropriate times (like it always seems to, though I learned my lesson on the original UT ;)) to make my computer run like it's based on some kind of super-cooled molasses-based processor.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#8 Post by FastChapter »

I probably should learn my lesson from this, but I'm going to be lazy and not let it tell me when it needs to update again, XD

I've got all the necessary updates done, redid all my virus/spyware scans (clean), and defragged the whole thing today for fun.

I'll be back here in March when I need to do it again, XD

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

I have an CP Media Center with SP2, and it sucks. Fast, be glad you CAN download updates, without them being corrupted, or without the nagging worry that, in two months, you will have to run multiple full system restores that will wipe out your hard drive, thus making you download them again.

But, yeah, I disable it anymore, as well, after its initial download of the necessary drivers and whatnot, after I restore my computer. Nothing to lose from it, after all.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I run XP SP1. No updates, no nothing anymore. I can't say I have found any reason to upgrade, as it is running extremely stably(I haven't had a crash in *months*), and running much quicker on the same hardware than my parents clean XP-sp2 install... any my computer is chock-full of programs I don't use much...(My C[windows] drive has 940megs free out of 29GB)

Everyone said that I was going to get viruses and spyware back when the XP updates stopped... But you know what? I haven't. Not a one. Yea, I run anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall(Zone Alarm security suite, which I haven't upgraded in like a year, although the definitions are mostly up to date. Also I run Spybot: search and destroy, again, an older version.)

And, I am not going to upgrade because I have a stable, perfectly working system... why change for marginal benefit?

-RobbieThe1st

Yolkin
Citizen

#11 Post by Yolkin »

Neat subject seeing as what happen this morning, my updates shut off and REFUSE to turn on... *shakes the computer* Not sure if its a virus or not... last time this happened i somehow got service pack 3 from 2 o.O and about a gig of RAM (most likely from a smack) anyone else have this problem in time's past?
Furry Furevah!Image
ImageImage