Download YouTube videos

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

Download YouTube videos

#1 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Okay, I checked the last two pages, and found nothing like this, so... If there is, please delete this.

I found out today that there is a site that will let people like me, who were gypped out of programming classes, to download videos from sites such as YouTube, where ther isn't just a "Download!" button.If you go to http://www.vixy.net/ you can just type in the URL of the video that you want, and it will download it in your preferred format, including AVI and .mp4 for iPods.

It is legal, as long as the video itself is not on YouTube illegally. This is great, for me, as there are music videos on YouTube that I want not just for the songs, but because I believe a beautiful job was done making them, and I want to put them on my Zune. |D

Hope this is useful.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

Re: Download YouTube videos

#2 Post by Ryusen »

There's also a Firefox add-on that does that -- Download Helper.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Wow, I REALLY could have used that information a month ago... :roll:

Thanks, I'm checking that out now. But, for those who are mortally against FF, this still applies. :P

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Ryusen »

But, there is a trick to DownloadHelper. You have to run it through a media converter. I haven't downloaded a Youtube video in a while, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the process. I'm sure you could google it and find directions, though.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#5 Post by Tuna »

Tried Vixy, this is all I would get as a result:
Error: URL resolve error. (YouTube.com is down??)

Ashpool
Templar Master

#6 Post by Ashpool »

There are tons of sites like this. Just google "Youtube downloader."
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

That's the only catch. Sometimes it fails:
Q: I've got an error (Header error, or 'Cannot resolve address Youtube down?'), Why?

A: The errors may comes from our server issue. Our servers and networks are still in heavy load, so the conversion often failed. Please wait for a while and try it again.
It's not a perfect answer to all your download problems, but hey, it's better than wishing. I'm sorry your first use failed, it's worked every time for me so far... Figures. :roll:

@ DelKan: I'm sure there are, this one, I just find easy. Anyone's welcome to post other sites.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#8 Post by aj »

http://www.keepvid.com is another good one... download the .flv or .mp4 files directly from Youtube. And VLC to play the .flv or .mp4 files...

I don't bother converting into anything though, so if you want a converted version, you'll need to go somewhere else.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Far far better method:
Bookmark this bunch of text

Code: Select all

javascript:window.location.href%20=%20'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id='%20+%20swfArgs['video_id']%20+%20"&fmt=18"%20+%20"&l="%20+%20swfArgs['l']%20+%20"&sk="%20+%20swfArgs['sk']%20+%20'&fmt_map'%20+%20swfArgs['fmt_map']%20+%20'&t='%20+%20swfArgs['t'];
Now, go to any Youtube video, and click your favorite link. You will see a file-dialog box asking you if you want to download a file, which will be your Youtube video. This code will get you the high-quality Youtube video if it is available, or the standard one if it is not.

This does not rely on any external site, and the downloaded file is a MP4.

-RobbieThe1st

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Kinuki »

How does one bookmark that link?
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Ashpool
Templar Master

#11 Post by Ashpool »

RobbieThe1st wrote:Far far better method:
Bookmark this bunch of text

Code: Select all

javascript:window.location.href%20=%20'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id='%20+%20swfArgs['video_id']%20+%20"&fmt=18"%20+%20"&l="%20+%20swfArgs['l']%20+%20"&sk="%20+%20swfArgs['sk']%20+%20'&fmt_map'%20+%20swfArgs['fmt_map']%20+%20'&t='%20+%20swfArgs['t'];
Now, go to any Youtube video, and click your favorite link. You will see a file-dialog box asking you if you want to download a file, which will be your Youtube video. This code will get you the high-quality Youtube video if it is available, or the standard one if it is not.

This does not rely on any external site, and the downloaded file is a MP4.

-RobbieThe1st
Nice. It works really well. Plus the video that I tested it on got removed the next day which is hilarious.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#12 Post by Tuna »

Kinuki wrote:How does one bookmark that link?
That is my question as well...
o.o

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by avwolf »

Kinuki wrote:How does one bookmark that link?
Bookmark the page. Then choose "Organize Bookmarks" (or Favorites, as appropriate).

Under Firefox, just select the bookmark, name it appropriately (if you didn't before) and paste that line of Javascript into the "Location" section.

Under IE, right click on the favorite and choose "Properties." Then paste that line of Javascript into the "URL" blank.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#14 Post by Tuna »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I would never have guessed that in a million years...
o.o

Thanks!
X3

Will this work anywhere? ...or just Youtube?
:3

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#15 Post by aj »

Just youtube, but looks like it can be modified for other video sites.

Anyway, quick guide on adding it:
1. Create a new bookmark (Either by bookmarking the page, and changing the location information, like avwolf suggests, or right clicking in the bookmarks menu (or bookmark bar, in FF3 at least))

2. Use a suitable title for the name, and paste the code into the location box

3. Click 'Add' or 'Done' (or similar), and the bookmark should appear where you've added it. (For me, this was on the bookmark toolbar in FF3)

Tada. Instant youtube video downloader. :P
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟