Computer being stupid, need some assistance.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Luca Fox
Grand Templar

Computer being stupid, need some assistance.

#1 Post by Luca Fox »

So recently my harddrive died on me. I purchased a new one and got out a copy of Windows XP and started installing it. My problem here is that two times during installation it asks me to insert a service pack 2 floppy or CD which I don't have. Each time it asks me I cancel and installation continues. When the installation finishes (it takes about eight hours and I've done this twice now) and Windows loads up I see that several important programs are missing like Activate Windows and Windows Update and all of the system tools.

Why is Windows XP asking me for service pack 2? I've tried removing my network cable before installing it and it still asks me for it.

Any ideas about what I can do to get my computer working would be appreciated.

Keldoth Wolfram Dekel
The Keltrane

Re: Computer being stupid, need some assistance.

#2 Post by Keldoth Wolfram Dekel »

Where'd you get XP from? You might check with them about it.
Heck, now I've simplified it all. Here's my deviant art, you can find all my writings here ^^
http://keldoth.deviantart.com/

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#3 Post by Sable Dove »

Luca Fox wrote:So recently my harddrive died on me. I purchased a new one and got out a copy of Windows XP and started installing it. My problem here is that two times during installation it asks me to insert a service pack 2 floppy or CD which I don't have. Each time it asks me I cancel and installation continues. When the installation finishes (it takes about eight hours and I've done this twice now) and Windows loads up I see that several important programs are missing like Activate Windows and Windows Update and all of the system tools.

Why is Windows XP asking me for service pack 2? I've tried removing my network cable before installing it and it still asks me for it.

Any ideas about what I can do to get my computer working would be appreciated.
Found your problem right there.
Just kidding; sorry I can't help, but I almost never use Windows in the first place.

First warning, but if you have nothing to contribute, don't post unhelpful comments. -DK
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

Can you pull the Service Pack from online and just install it? I know that Windows Update won't work right until the SP's installed now. I know Microsoft makes the SP available for download separate from Windows Update, too, so if that's all you need, you should be able to download it. I'm not sure about putting it on a disc though...

Luca Fox
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Luca Fox »

I haven't tried putting it on a CD yet, though I did find out Windows can't read DVDs because it doesn't recognize my DVD drive.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#6 Post by Ashpool »

Luca Fox wrote:I haven't tried putting it on a CD yet, though I did find out Windows can't read DVDs because it doesn't recognize my DVD drive.
If I recall correctly, XP doesn't have DVD support without some update. I think Avwolf might be right though. Try installing SP2 separately after windows finishes.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

Furrypaws
Traveler

#7 Post by Furrypaws »

Looks like your windows distribution disk is messed up. Get one with integrated SP2 or SP3.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by SpeedFreak »

If its a prebuilt...call the company and they can ship new restore disks to you...it will prob cost you something since your prob not under the manufacturer warrenty anymore but it cant be to expencive (i have not ordered restore disks in years but i think it was 10 bucks for mine)

Either that or install SP2 after you finish installing XP. Stuff is obviously going to be missing since you do not have SP2 installed but update (do custom when they give you the choice between express and custom its faster) after the install.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

Ashpool
Templar Master

#9 Post by Ashpool »

SpeedFreak wrote:Either that or install SP2 after you finish installing XP. Stuff is obviously going to be missing since you do not have SP2 installed but update (do custom when they give you the choice between express and custom its faster) after the install.
He said windows update is missing. Therefore, that wouldn't apply.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by avwolf »

If I recall, Windows Update will not run until after SP2 is installed. In theory, it's supposed to force install SP2, but I haven't seen that happen in practice (I had to reinstall myself, recently, and I've got an older version of Windows XP too), so you end up installing the service pack yourself. It's "Activate Windows" and the system tools being missing that disturb me.