Linux

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

ReefVerden

Re: Linux

#91 Post by ReefVerden »

A while ago I took an intro to linux class and my teacher had made this page I figure it might be helpful as a way of showing the inner workings of linux. Even though its an introduction in the way of linux being used a server I believe that seeing how powerful the terminal can be is very useful. Especially when it came to creating Bash scripts. But have a look and see what you think. http://teachertoml.phpnet.us/
- Support/Defend/In Relationship

TigerWOT
New Citizen

#92 Post by TigerWOT »

I have Linux and I use it a lot. Great for base gaming as it offers great performance. As i got into Microcontrollers I have a data center running linux from a couple of raspberry pies in quadro config. For around 120$ I have the power to control my comp withit like auto dim and stuff liek that. Ask away anything you want.
All can fight

LuckLock

#93 Post by LuckLock »

About four years ago, my cousin in the computer biz gave me an old PC with Mint and Ubuntu installed on it. They were both pretty great, personally I favored Mint, but I didn't do anything advanced. I opened a terminal less than five times, and I only downloaded apps from the app stores.

About a month ago, I bought some Linux and PenTesting courses on Udemy, and I'm learning to be a Pro Script Kiddie. In all seriousness, I'm using the courses to get a start, and then hopefully I'll be able to find anything else I want to learn on other sites, with the exception of possibly getting a course on Wireshark. Today I installed Fedora 23, and I had to manually install the drivers for my GPU. Not fun, but it was a good learning experience, even though I only understood half of what I was doing. I'll also have to install the drivers for my WiFi card, which is sure to be oodles of joy.

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#94 Post by MirceaKitsune »

Proud Linux user for over 3 years here: I run openSUSE + KDE... which despite occasional bugs, I enjoy more greatly than any Windows version from 3.11 to 7.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#95 Post by puredeathly »

I use Linux as far back as I can think (my dad ran Linux on his PC since ages. We even had a server with an i386 at home running Slackware :P) and it is my daily driver since 2010 (Ubuntu on my desktop, Arch with Gnome on my Laptop and Debian, CentOS or Arch on my servers).

Any suggestions for a desktop environment that has good touch support (Unity is the best I found so far. Gnome 3 works pretty well too but I don't really like Gnome >.>)? My laptop is a convertible with wacom digitizer and multitouch (Lifebook t730) and most desktop environments are unusable using touch.
So far I tried Plasma (KDE5), Gnome, Unity, Pantheon, Budgie desktop and Deepin :P (I really love Papyros shell but I could not get it to run :( )

philip284
Apprentice

#96 Post by philip284 »

puredeathly wrote:Any suggestions for a desktop environment that has good touch support (Unity is the best I found so far. Gnome 3 works pretty well too but I don't really like Gnome >.>)? My laptop is a convertible with wacom digitizer and multitouch (Lifebook t730) and most desktop environments are unusable using touch.
So far I tried Plasma (KDE5), Gnome, Unity, Pantheon, Budgie desktop and Deepin :P (I really love Papyros shell but I could not get it to run :( )
Seconded.
If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?
ImageImage

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#97 Post by Bellhead »

puredeathly wrote:Any suggestions for a desktop environment that has good touch support (Unity is the best I found so far. Gnome 3 works pretty well too but I don't really like Gnome >.>)? My laptop is a convertible with wacom digitizer and multitouch (Lifebook t730) and most desktop environments are unusable using touch.
Try Windows 8.1. It was supposedly designed for touch devices; smartphones and the liike. My father-in-law had it on a laptop with a touch screen for a while, and the keyboard became almost useless after a couple weeks.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

puredeathly
Master

#98 Post by puredeathly »

Bellhead wrote:
Try Windows 8.1. It was supposedly designed for touch devices; smartphones and the liike. My father-in-law had it on a laptop with a touch screen for a while, and the keyboard became almost useless after a couple weeks.
I have a few - let's call it problems - with Windows:
1.) I hate licensing crap that doesn't even work right if you got a legit license
2.) they force you to upgrade to Windows 10 and I confirmed (using a virtual machine) that it sends every keystroke to Microsoft and after installation a picture of any connected webcam (and audio if you have cortana enabled). The only way to turn this off is to either buy the enterprise edition or to redircet MS servers to localhost using the hosts file.
3.) I can do a lot of things usign Linux that Windows can't do (I like to customize my system without using ugly hacks...)
4.) the laptop is painfully slow when running Windows...

Unity works quite well for touchscreens (I currently use it with the Numix theme) but it's not completely ideal... (when not running on Ubuntu it requires a lot of patched libraries...)

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#99 Post by MirceaKitsune »

puredeathly wrote:2.) they force you to upgrade to Windows 10 and I confirmed (using a virtual machine) that it sends every keystroke to Microsoft and after installation a picture of any connected webcam (and audio if you have cortana enabled). The only way to turn this off is to either buy the enterprise edition or to redircet MS servers to localhost using the hosts file.
It's really that bad? Wow... now I feel that by switching to Linux, I escaped from a place that was hit by a nuclear bomb behind me. Much of that sounds like it should be highly illegal... of course if Microsoft struck a deal with the NSA, fewer people will probably care.

puredeathly
Master

#100 Post by puredeathly »

MirceaKitsune wrote:
puredeathly wrote:2.) they force you to upgrade to Windows 10 and I confirmed (using a virtual machine) that it sends every keystroke to Microsoft and after installation a picture of any connected webcam (and audio if you have cortana enabled). The only way to turn this off is to either buy the enterprise edition or to redircet MS servers to localhost using the hosts file.
It's really that bad? Wow... now I feel that by switching to Linux, I escaped from a place that was hit by a nuclear bomb behind me. Much of that sounds like it should be highly illegal... of course if Microsoft struck a deal with the NSA, fewer people will probably care.
I tested it on the last technical preview before the official release. every 30min a https encrypted package goes off to microsoft servers containing every single keystroke you made during the last 30 minutes. A few minutes after the installation they sent 1 screenshot and one image of the connected webcam to microsoft and if you have cortana enabled you are basically livestreaming your mic's audio to MS (although iirc they only stream the audio once cortana was activated either by click or by saying "hey cortana").
I really HOPE that this isn't the case anymore in the release but I think it probably still is in there...

Oh and btw: It isn't illegal. Have you read the EULA and all that crap before upgrading? You are basically selling your soul to MS xD

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#101 Post by MirceaKitsune »

puredeathly wrote:I tested it on the last technical preview before the official release. every 30min a https encrypted package goes off to microsoft servers containing every single keystroke you made during the last 30 minutes. A few minutes after the installation they sent 1 screenshot and one image of the connected webcam to microsoft and if you have cortana enabled you are basically livestreaming your mic's audio to MS (although iirc they only stream the audio once cortana was activated either by click or by saying "hey cortana").
I really HOPE that this isn't the case anymore in the release but I think it probably still is in there...

Oh and btw: It isn't illegal. Have you read the EULA and all that crap before upgrading? You are basically selling your soul to MS xD
Yeah, that's some pretty horrifying stuff there. Sending images from your webcam (your ID) or logging your keys (passwords or what you type to other people) or even recording conversations in your room... good lord. I feel sorry for whoever will have to use this monstrosity of an OS... either because they're required to, or because they can't get along with Linux well.

RevZ
New Citizen

#102 Post by RevZ »

Plenty of ways available to kill all of the spying crap, though.
Personally, I like to use Linux for the things it's good at, Windows for the rest. I do think many people who use any form of Linux do it the same way.

puredeathly
Master

#103 Post by puredeathly »

RevZ wrote:Plenty of ways available to kill all of the spying crap, though.
Personally, I like to use Linux for the things it's good at, Windows for the rest. I do think many people who use any form of Linux do it the same way.
The official way is to buy the enterprise edition and disabling it using the group policy editor (who knows what it really does...).
The better way is to redirect MS servers to localhost using the hosts file.
I use Linux for everything except some games that won't run on wine (like The vanishing of Ethan Carter and some others).

RevZ
New Citizen

#104 Post by RevZ »

puredeathly wrote:
The official way is to buy the enterprise edition and disabling it using the group policy editor (who knows what it really does...).
I use Linux for everything except some games that won't run on wine (like The vanishing of Ethan Carter and some others).
There are literally many dozens of methods Microsoft uses to call home. Redirecting the MS servers via .hosts entries will only get rid of about a third of those methods. Many are hardcoded into the included apps in Windows 10 and even things like Skype or Windows Explorer itself (via a linked .dll file, which the code kicks into action to reach the servers anyway after you block the MS servers via .hosts).
Luckily, there are tools available which give you the option of easily (without you having to go into Powershell and doing it all manually) removing virtually all of the applications and routines involved in this behaviour of Windows 10. It has become sort of a standard thing to do, sadly.

puredeathly
Master

#105 Post by puredeathly »

RevZ wrote:
puredeathly wrote:
There are literally many dozens of methods Microsoft uses to call home. Redirecting the MS servers via .hosts entries will only get rid of about a third of those methods. Many are hardcoded into the included apps in Windows 10 and even things like Skype or Windows Explorer itself (via a linked .dll file, which the code kicks into action to reach the servers anyway after you block the MS servers via .hosts).
Luckily, there are tools available which give you the option of easily (without you having to go into Powershell and doing it all manually) removing virtually all of the applications and routines involved in this behaviour of Windows 10. It has become sort of a standard thing to do, sadly.
If you redirect all the servers associated with MS to localhost via the hosts file, not even hardcoded IPs can now connect. Idk though if they bypass the hosts file (but I don't think so).
I like the powershellscripts you mentioned though. they get rid of everything except windows updates (which probably will reinstall all the [censored] on the next major update...) :P