Linux

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Linux

#16 Post by avwolf »

Oh, most of it's there, but it might not be where you expect it to be or named what you expect it to be named. You know how to use "apt-cache search"?

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by epion04 »

no?
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.
I FAILED KINDERGARTEN SPELLING!!!>_<

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by avwolf »

Ah! That's going to be a big help then. *grin* You'll notice now that it's hard to guess at package names, but you don't know any way of getting apt-get to search for packages, right? That's the main purpose of apt-cache.

Code: Select all

apt-cache search <key word>
e.g.

apt-cache search cairo
That returns all the packages that feature "cairo" in the name or description. This might be a really long list, so you might want to use a "pager" to let you view the list in a more convenient way. Less is the most commonly used pager today (it replaces an older pager called "more" and you can see the *nix geek love of a turn of phrase because "less is more"). Pagers stop the screen from scrolling and then let you cursor or page up and down through the content, even searching it with regular expressions (we'll leave that for a later lesson). When you're done, you type 'q' to close the pager. In order to use less, you have to tell it what output it should handle this can be

less <filename>
but it's much more common to "pipe" output into less. To pipe output from one program to another, you type out the first program as normal than add the pipe character (|) and the second program.

apt-cache search cairo | less
That will page the search results for "cairo" in your apt database, that way you can easily look through them and find the one you want. Then you just have to use apt-get install as normal. Some things are still hard to find, even with apt-cache, and you'll end up doing guesswork or tracking them down manually, just like you're doing now.

-- I should warn you --
That while a big part of my day job is as a Linux system administrator, I tend to use the command line almost exclusively, so I don't always know the "easy" way to do things, and I fear I will have to defer almost all gui-related questions to someone more experienced in that realm than I.

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#19 Post by epion04 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but avwolf, I love you.
avwolf wrote:-- I should warn you --
That while a big part of my day job is as a Linux system administrator, I tend to use the command line almost exclusively, so I don't always know the "easy" way to do things, and I fear I will have to defer almost all gui-related questions to someone more experienced in that realm than I.
*shrug* If I wanted to do things the easy way I would have stayed in windows. :p
I like using the command line, I just dont have enough experience with it to be as efficient with it yet...
My avatar is the result of arting for the first time in 8 years... not bad I believe ^_^
clock.exe has preformed an illegal error, time has stopped. Please restart the universe.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#20 Post by aj »

I think I did sudo passwd root to get the root account working in Ubuntu 8.04... Not sure it (or something else I was messing around with) enabled the root account, but I have a root account on Ubuntu now.

Also, you might want to look into this: http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/free/ - CodeWeavers is giving away their Windows Emulator (today only), so if you want it, grab it while you can!

As for using Linux day-to-day, I use it on my server only. (Which was set up in ~2004 (I think), and has seen Mandrake 10, some version of Redhat, Ubuntu Server 6.04 and is now running Fedora Core 6 - old, I know, but I'm not too bothered by it. It's a 866Mhz P3 with 256MB of RAM, so it's not going to scream even if I load the latest and greatest, and all it really does is act as a media file server. Getting rid of unnecessary services helped - and it currently runs at runlevel 3)
I'd use Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop (I dual-boot XP Pro and 8.04 right now), but the multi-monitor support is utterly useless. It refuses to detect a second monitor, even after changing cables and monitors. Thought it could be the nvidia drivers, but I tried the native drivers, and it's still a no-go. Editing the xorg.conf didn't work - creating a second screen manually means that it'll think there's always a second screen attached, even if I'm using without the second monitor attached. Eventually I gave up and use Windows when I need/want dual monitor something.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

epion04
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by epion04 »

AWESOME!, this kicks, the mac version is up too, now I can get games on the mac in the other room *squee*

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#22 Post by aj »

epion04 wrote:AWESOME!, this kicks, the mac version is up too, now I can get games on the mac in the other room *squee*
OK, was thinking more of the linux version, but whatever. :P
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

ktemkin
Traveler

#23 Post by ktemkin »

To clear up a few misconceptions/questions in this thread so far:

1) Ubuntu won't let you log into the root account.

Actually, Ubuntu is more than willing to let you use the root account. The reason you're unable to log into it by default is that Ubuntu (for security reasons) doesn't set up root with a password. It's simple enough to enable the root account again. It's on your hands, though. About 99% of tasks you'd log in as root for can be accomplished using a Super User trick.

$ sudo passwd root
2) Using 'su', 'sudo -s', 'sudo sh', 'sudo bash', etc. is faster and better than using 'sudo' for each line.

When you use any of these tricks, you're effectively changing the console from normal user-mode to root-mode. While this may be advantageous on a per-case basis, being logged in as root ever is like holding a grenade in your hand with the pin pulled: it can be a life-saver in the one situation you really need it- but it also introduces the potential of getting yourself blown up.

--

As for the easiest way to search for a package (assuming a Debian-based system with Aptitude), there's:

1) Apt-cache, for those who want package information, and fast. The information returned by this console utility is minimalistic, unformatted, and only related to your current aptitude source repositories.
2) The search function of Synaptics Package Manager, the GUI equivalent of Aptitude. While the information is a little more detailed and better formatted than using just the console, it's still only related to your current source repositories. It's a lot slower than just using Aptitude, and requires you to gksudo (GUI version of sudo) before searching.
3) Your distribution's package information archive. For Debian-based distributions, the convention is to have these indexes at packages.yourdistro.org i.e. Debian Package Search or Ubuntu Package Search. These are usually the most up-to-date listing of supported packages. They usually offer the same information as Aptitude, but also offer .deb package downloads, and packages in repositories other than the ones you've currently selected.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by SpeedFreak »

ktemkin wrote:To clear up a few misconceptions/questions in this thread so far:

1) Ubuntu won't let you log into the root account.

Actually, Ubuntu is more than willing to let you use the root account. The reason you're unable to log into it by default is that Ubuntu (for security reasons) doesn't set up root with a password. It's simple enough to enable the root account again. It's on your hands, though. About 99% of tasks you'd log in as root for can be accomplished using a Super User trick.

$ sudo passwd root
2) Using 'su', 'sudo -s', 'sudo sh', 'sudo bash', etc. is faster and better than using 'sudo' for each line.

When you use any of these tricks, you're effectively changing the console from normal user-mode to root-mode. While this may be advantageous on a per-case basis, being logged in as root ever is like holding a grenade in your hand with the pin pulled: it can be a life-saver in the one situation you really need it- but it also introduces the potential of getting yourself blown up.

--

As for the easiest way to search for a package (assuming a Debian-based system with Aptitude), there's:

1) Apt-cache, for those who want package information, and fast. The information returned by this console utility is minimalistic, unformatted, and only related to your current aptitude source repositories.
2) The search function of Synaptics Package Manager, the GUI equivalent of Aptitude. While the information is a little more detailed and better formatted than using just the console, it's still only related to your current source repositories. It's a lot slower than just using Aptitude, and requires you to gksudo (GUI version of sudo) before searching.
3) Your distribution's package information archive. For Debian-based distributions, the convention is to have these indexes at packages.yourdistro.org i.e. Debian Package Search or Ubuntu Package Search. These are usually the most up-to-date listing of supported packages. They usually offer the same information as Aptitude, but also offer .deb package downloads, and packages in repositories other than the ones you've currently selected.
But there is a way to fully log into root which makes it easier! ill get the instructions off my other comptuer in a bit...also i figured out why epion's pc would not install anything...he didnt enable it to....i would have to install ubuntu again to remember the exact steps (I am anywase tonight on my spare) but there is something that have the time enables and the other half does not. I have no idea why :p

It has something to do with updates also...I didnt get updates till i enabled the PC to get them.

Edit:
system>admin>long in window Enable admin somewhere

user>setting in there and then set root password and you can log in

There you go! Thats how you activate root so you can log INTO root :P
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

ktemkin
Traveler

#25 Post by ktemkin »

That's exactly what I said with 'sudo passwd root', except I used the terminal and you used the GUI. For future reference, when setting user passwords, it's usually a better idea to use one of the virtual terminals accessed by CTRL+ALT+F(1-9) than to use any of the GUI programs (including your terminal emulator/gnome-terminal/xterminal/Konsole). The multitasking power of the x-server makes software keyloggers that much easier. Not to be paranoid. :-p

Also, for you Ubuntu users, today marks the release date of 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. Haven't seen any distribution updates yet, though.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#26 Post by SpeedFreak »

I am gonna wait a few hours...then start a torrent...the normal servers are going to be flooded as usuall
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

ktemkin
Traveler

#27 Post by ktemkin »

You can usually get them before the heat is too bad if you try using 'update-manager -d' and see if you can get the result's build number to match. I'm now running 8.10 (I ditched Debian, finally, for some of the features only available in the newer distributions.)

8.10's pretty stable, but HAL seems to be having some difficulty with my computer's volume control. (Toshiba Satellite U305-2812) Apparently my computer's model isn't the only one. Will post a fix if I find one.

FlaminPheonix
Templar GrandMaster

#28 Post by FlaminPheonix »

i'm looking at getting a Asus Eee Pc and having ubuntu on it

thing is i know nothing about linux except for what i have learnt in the past hour whilst messing around with it on my mates pc

is there any reason you could find against this

the only issue i can see is that there will be no optical drive so how will i install ubuntu if it doesn't come with it?

the only other issue im having is that by all i have previously heard you have to know what your doing with linux unlike windows where you can follow the pretty pictures

i consider myself relatively computer literate (as in i use them allot but so far only windows os, and have done some programming but only basics)

but still :| i don't know

as you can see from the Eee pc's specs im not gonna be gaming or anything demanding on it really but i would still like to be able to use some windows applications (so far all i know is a name and that name is Wine or summit in order to do that)

another issue i am having is that due to its lack of optical drive i might have to use a usb one however i don't know if it would work on a plug and play like basis or if i would need to find some drivers (this would be allot of hassle if i have to do it for every little thing) how is linux generally (ubuntu mainly) when it comes to such things as drivers? (mind i am also considering putting it on my main rig).
ImageImage
Ultramus wrote:I just got the mental image of the north pole being raided by Bolsheviks :shock:

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#29 Post by avwolf »

Well, as it happens, The Register is running a series on getting used to being a Linux user on a netbook. The first and second columns in the series are out (they don't cover the Eee 1000, but they do have the Eee 900 in their sample group). As for putting a different flavor of Linux on it, does the BIOS support booting from USB? Most distros these days offer USB flashdrive images as well as traditional CD images, though I don't see an easy thing for that under Ubuntu specifically. Your other option would simply be to get an external USB optical drive.

"Knowing what you're doing" is important for a lot more things on Linux than on Windows, but in an easy-to-use distro, like the ones provided on the Eee PCs and Ubuntu, it's pretty straight forward. You'll pick up most of what you need to know quickly, and anything else...Well, that's what the Tubes are for.

-- Oh --
You can use Wine to run many Windows applications under X (the graphical environment of Linux). But not everything, so you might want to check Wine's website to make sure it supports the applications you want to run first.

FlaminPheonix
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by FlaminPheonix »

avwolf wrote:You can use Wine to run many Windows applications under X (the graphical environment of Linux). But not everything, so you might want to check Wine's website to make sure it supports the applications you want to run first.

well yeh but i don't necessarily mean graphical programs i mean stuff like xfire and my phones pc program thing or will they have to be specifically redone or so?

and till what about drivers?
ImageImage
Ultramus wrote:I just got the mental image of the north pole being raided by Bolsheviks :shock: